VIDEO: Phuket Marine Chief offers B10k reward for ‘sea dumping’

Jonathan Fairfield

VIDEO: Phuket Marine Chief offers B10k reward for ‘sea dumping’

Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Phuket Marine Office Chief Phuriphat Teerakulpisut is offering B10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of any persons responsible for the mass dumping of trash off Phuket’s west coast Karon Beach.

The ugly issue surfaced after local Thai Visit Chounchit posted a video of the morass of underwater debris immediately off Karon Beach on his Facebook page, news of which was first broken Phuket Xtra earlier today (see video above).

“I am so disheartened by this,” Mr Phuriphat told the Phuket News today (Nov 20). “I am offering B10,000 reward per case to anyone who can provide pictures and information of people dumping trash into the sea.

“Please call directly at 081-797 9666 to report any such findings.”

Mr Phuriphat pointed out that the penalty for dumping trash into the sea is up to six months in jail or a fine of up to B10,000 or both.

Wanchai Saeton of Karon Municipality, however, believes the trash was dumped overboard elsewhere and pushed toward Karon Beach by current and tidal flows.

“There is a lots of trash near Laem Sai at Karon Beach. That trash came from other areas and ends up in the same area every year,” he told The Phuket News.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-21

“I am so disheartened by this,” Mr Phuriphat told the Phuket News today (Nov 20).

They could add what he was thinking, and what most Thais think:

"I thought that when garbage is not visible it is gone. Who would have thought it just piles up out of sight?"