Ban on rock piles on Koh Hin Ngarm

rooster59

Ban on rock piles on Koh Hin Ngarm

30273426-01_big.jpg?1448074706907

KOH HIN NGARM: THE small towers of rocks left behind by tourists on Koh Hin Ngarm only spoils the island's natural beauty - they do not make people's wishes come true, Tarutao National Park chief Panapon Thirasereechon said yesterday.

Panapon said the national park, which includes Koh Hin Ngarm, in the southern province of Satun, has banned tourists from piling up rocks, adding that the practice was spurred by a tale spread by tour guides.

"Sometimes these rocks fall and shatter," he said, adding that even if these towers don't collapse, they still tarnished the raw beauty of the island.

Satun Tourism Association president Samart Charoenrit said tour operators were ready to cooperate with the authorities.

"Tourists head to Koh Hin Ngarm mainly to admire the unusual and beautiful rocks on the island. I don't think the number of tourists will fall, even if they are not allowed to create these rock towers," he said.

He said tour guides initially encouraged tourists to form these rock towers so they have something to occupy themselves with. "But if the authorities think such activity is not appropriate, we can of course explain that to the tourists," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ban-on-rock-piles-on-Koh-Hin-Ngarm-30273426.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-21

Rocks will have more rights in an enviro-loonie dystopia.

don't be stupid, this has nothing to do with envirnonmental concerns, this is simply a control freak issue. Making little piles of rocks on the shoreline and elsewhere is common and seems almost to be a human instinct. There is something satisfieing about the practice. Thailand is an environmental disaster area in so many ways, this is not part of that.

One of the things I liked when doing overland trip in Tibet was the little rock piles made at passes and places like that. Guess I might as well cancel my plans to that island, I was so looking forward to making some piles. On the bright side, this may be indicator that all the corruption and other sorts of crimes have been taken care of, so need some busy work for local law enforcers?

I agree. Stop these people spoiling the beauty of Thailand. And while they are at it ban sand castles on the beach. It makes my blood boil when I see spoilt brats desecrating the beaches by building sand castles and even placing sea shells on them, for decoration I suppose. To make matters worse adults help them sometimes and even seem to enjoy it. This rampant free living and free thinking has gone too far. Sometimes people even express an opinion. There should be a crack down and a bit more attitude adjustment applied.coffee1.gif