Negotiating your rent - link to interesting read.

DirtyDan

I often chuckle at some of the expats in our circles that are paying extortionate prices for their monthly condo rent. I could also tell you about the couple that lives in a 4,500 sqft apartment because their relocation agent told them that's all that's available. Or how about those Nichida prices, $7,500 USD per month doesn't go as far as it used too! I guess junior's edumacation is worth the location?

Anyway, stumbled across this great blog and thought I would share it with the community. We negotiated a 25% reducing simply by signing a 2 year lease. Anyone else have rental tips?

Www.njgibson.com/how-i-negotiated-45-off-my-rent-in-bangkok/

Edited by DirtyDan

The longer contract definitely helps. Stay a couple of months and then go for one if you like the place. I currently pay 20k for a 2-bedroom, identical units going for 30.

And the owner's appreciate a LT commitment (cough, cough, who doesn't) so there're other benefits. My maintenance requests get taken care of promptly, which I doubt would happen if they knew I would be gone in a week. I've got the most efficient maid on their staff servicing my place and make sure they don't rotate her out.

I came to Pattaya and had a relocation company (that my company paid for) to help me look for Condo's. They were next to useless in finding something for me. They showed me maybe 10 condos and they all surprisingly had the same price of 50k which was my companies housing allowance budget.

I found on my own a very nice condo development in Naklua (Near Pattaya) that is beachfront and amazing. They wanted 60k for two of the condos on the second story and 3 story, but I negotiated 50k for one poolside on the first floor. I used the fact that my company pays for my housing and that 50k was my budget for my negotiating tactic. Since it is a small development and 3 condos of the same size were vacant, it is obvious the supply outweighs the demand.

I think that my situation and the article are similar, but in Pattaya the available renters with a larger budget is even smaller than in BKK.

Good article. I was about to ask soon here about tactics - what works, what doesn't in BKK. Currently continue AirBNB rental directly with the owner. 20000 baht month-to-month all included for very nice 40m2 studio with separate kitchen. One year old building close to MRT/BTS. It isn't a good price for long-term but pretty good with the flexibility. After returning on ED visa I want to rent something long-term

I used to work as a real estate agent for few years. From my perspective - an agent will often help you get discount, because even if it's lower commission he/she gets it now and can move onto other customers. But some owners are just nuts and better keep the property empty for months instead of giving discount, which of course leads to much more lost $$$ to them.

Even though on ED visa I wouldn't mind to rent for 12 months I was also thinking about contacting owners who sell.

Selling from what I read ain't easy here and can take years. So the idea was to contact owners with empty condos for sell and offer them that I will rent it and if there is a buyer I would vacant the property within 14 days. Also if the prospective buyer speak English I could show them around - no additional work for the owner.