British foods not available in Bangkok

Metalelfie

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help me. I'm in England but a British friend of mine is living in Bangkok. They're feeling a little home sick and I thought it'd be nice to send them a few things from home.

Thing is, I have never been to Bangkok (hoping to change that soon!) and have no idea how readily available British foods are over there. I can see from posts on here that there are places in Bangkok that stock some British classics. But I'm looking for suggestions for things that my friend would not be able to get out there easily or cheaply.

So, any suggestions of hard to get foods that can be airmailed over? And could you tell me whether Heinz baked beans and Terry's chocolate orange would be worth sending or whether they're easy to get your hands on?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Stargazey Pie

Scotch egg

Jellied Eels

Haggis ...yea, I know, not specifically British

Black Pudding ...done well

Chip butty

Semolina pudding

Baby Gaga Ice Cream ...you'd think that would be popular here.

Laverbread ...the Thai version just isn't the same

Sussex Pond Pudding

Turkey Twizzlers

Pork Faggots

Flies Graveyard

Mushy Peas ...the proper kind

Liver and onions ...done right

It's not like we can't buy British or European food items here in country, it's just not worth it at twice (or more) the price.

I can get most of the British food items I might wish for here in Chiang Mai so certainly those things will be available in Bangkok - Waitrose has a marketing agreement with Tops and the Waitrose brands cover most of the bases from English cheese, to frozen pizza, sausages, sauces etc. And then there's the expat UK producers of pies, scotch eggs and so forth and there's loads of these guys, some are actually quite good and widely available.

Cost is the big issue, I like Earl Grey tea which here is 4 Pounds 20 pence for twenty tea bags! Maybe bring some good quality English tea?

EDIT to add: baked beans are readily available everywhere, ditto chocolates and biscuits (Marks and Spencer food stuffs available at M&S here).

Edited by chiang mai

Most things are here, just need to look + look at price and where is cheaper.. + places that have something this week may not have it again for months..

eg: 100 gram bars of chocolate, milk, plain or milk & nut cheapest place is 'Ikea' taste is very good.. cost 40 baht per bar or 3 for 100 baht... they have lots of other stuff with good prices..

now if only they or anyone had Walnut Whips ................ sending anything like chocolate via post would think it would be a very sad runny mess when it arrived.

There are Thai restaurants in every American town of any size, but very few British. Why is that?

Because American food is an extension of British food due to colonisation.

The cuisine of the United States reflects its history. The European colonization of the Americas yielded the introduction of a number of ingredients and cooking styles to the latter. The various styles continued expanding well into the 19th and 20th centuries, proportional to the influx of immigrants from many foreign nations; such influx developed a rich diversity in food preparation throughout the country.

Edited by stoneyboy

There are Thai restaurants in every American town of any size, but very few British. Why is that?

Because American food is an extension of British food due to colonisation.

The cuisine of the United States reflects its history. The European colonization of the Americas yielded the introduction of a number of ingredients and cooking styles to the latter. The various styles continued expanding well into the 19th and 20th centuries, proportional to the influx of immigrants from many foreign nations; such influx developed a rich diversity in food preparation throughout the country.

The US has no history,my grandmother has curtains older than modern day America. Edited by stoneyboy

There aren't that many British restaurants in Britain, either.

I'd agree but good honest British food is served mostly in public houses,fish and chip restaurants,pie and mash shops,local bakeries,Sunday carverys and a whole host of other establishments. Edited by stoneyboy

I did not slag off British food I love it! There isn't a decent Chippy in the whole country! Long John Silver's and fish sticks are microwave food for kids! A "full English" is looked at as something so foreign, even though one finds baked beans and grilled tomato at every suburban BBQ. Just saying it makes no sense. There is an old Chain in Southern California called Gulliver's which specializes in "Prime Rib" of beef all the sides ( and proper Yorkshire puddings) , though I personally have not been in ages.

This is making me hungry...

Edited by arunsakda

I think tea bags, really good black pudding, bars of chocolate and some muesli for breakfast as those packs are more expensive in Thailand as well.

The black pudding and chocolate is not going to go well if mailed however.

And then of course there is cheese....oh yes every kind of artisan cheese possible........this is one thing really not available outside of the cheese rooms of five star hotels and even they are not great.

Hard to get but occasionally available here are Branston and Piccalilli.

HP sauce sold here has different recipe to the uk version so I always ask for someone to bring me a couple of PLASTIC bottles.

My advice would be to go in the pound shop in the uk and pick up non heavy things like hp sauce..teabags..choc biscuits like penguins..winegums..licorice. ..either not available here or bloody expensive.

i have managed to find a regular supply of CALFS LIVER ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its butifull.

now its where can i get LAMBS LIVER.

If you do find lambs liver please don't keep it secret. Edited by RabC

• 3 weeks later...

Something I love but can't ever remember seeing here...... Turnips ? Brussels Sprouts ? Swede ? Runner Beans ? not that these are things to be sent in the Post.

Just finished my Broad Beans, and sadly cannot remember where I bought them [2 packs Frozen]

Can anyone name some international famous and regarded British food?

I don't get many things....Some Indian curry powders are best from England. Teas fro sure, some great beers.

But than?

indian curry powders,go to the indian market in bkk.and ask for EVEREST BRAND OF, meat masala,chicken masala,tandoori chicken masala and shahi biryani.

i have been trying to get that authentic indian taste for over 50yrs.and these everest boxs of spices are the best i have used.around 20different spices in each box.

comes here direct from india. WWW.EVERESTSPICES.COM

make sure you get the packets [100gms] i make mine with fresh coconut milk,and add toms,extra chilli.dont let them sell you the loose stuff.