Krungsri and TMB ATM Issues?

Anyone experiencing issues with Krungsri and TMB for ATM withdrawals?

For the past couple years I have used Krungsri exclusively to make ATM withdrawals from my US bank, primarily because they allow 30k ATM withdrawls. One day, I suddenly got an "unable to process transaction" on the ATM and figured that my bank back home and put a fraud alert. Called the bank... Nope, no problems on their end. Card is fine to use. So then I thought... Okay, maybe that ATM is broken. Tried another Krungsri... unable to process.

So out of curiosity, I tried another bank card I had with another bank... Still unable to process. At this point, I'm thinking that Krungsri is having problems with their bank services and just made the withdrawal from Bangkok Bank. No problems.

I've given it about 3 weeks, but neither of my bank cards work with Krungsri. So, I decided to try TMB since they also 30k withdrawls.... "communication error... unable to process". I've tried 3 different TMB Bank ATMS.

Very strange. Since I've started experiencing issues, I've made withdrawls from the same cards from Bankok Bank, Krungthai, and Kasikorn without a hitch and both of my banks are certain that they are not blocking anything on their end. In fact I made withdrawals today after getting the error at both Krungsri and TMB.... however I really need to make 30k withdrawals rather than the 20k allowed at the other banks.

Anyone else experiencing these issues? I am tempted to call Krungsri or TMB to see why they don't like me, but I am pretty sure they will be of no help.

But it can vary by what processing system the cards are using. Plus/Cirrus/Visa/Mastercard or something else? Banks often have different types of cards so you need to match up with the ATM allowed cards. Most banks process most or all - but it can vary.

Yes, I having the exact same problem with my new Schwab "chipped" card on Krungsri and TMB machines. Before when it was still only a magnetic strip card it worked fine with Krungsri and TMB machines...been using the card for long time in those ATMs.

When I first got the chipped Schwab card about 4 months ago (Schwab was replacing their magnetic strip only cards with chipped cards) it had an "intermittent" problem with the Krungsri & TMB ATMs)...sometimes it would work; sometimes not. Had the most problem with Krungsri ATMs but worked less intermittently with the TMB ATM, I called Schwab one night about the problem...they sent me a new chipped card. I used it one time last month in a TMB ATM and it worked...so I tucked it away until next month....I usually only use it once a month. .

About a week ago I could not get it to work in Krungsri or TMB ATMs...after entering my PIN, the ATM accepting, the TMB ATM would just jump to a screen showing my account balance for a few seconds, and then cancel the transaction & spit my card out without me touching anything.. I tried it a couple of times...same result. Then went over to the Krungsri ATM, entered my PIN, was able to enter the amount I wanted, it showed me the Bt200 fee, I pushed the OK button to finalize the transaction and then I get an error message along the lines of "there was an error...contact you card-issuing bank." Tried it a second time...same result. I'm using new Krungsri and TMB ATMs in a mall right outside their branches....when I say new I mean the branches remodeled recently which included new ATMs, cash deposit machines, etc.

I call Schwab while still in the mall...I explained the problem to include mentioning this is my second chipped card with the problem. He checks my account...says no blocks on the card and also said his system only showed some "check balance" transactions. I told him that must have been the TMB ATMs. He said the attempted transactions from the Krungsri ATM was not showing. He said these type of problems are indicative of the ATMs not properly interfacing with the Visa network...an ATM compatibility issue.

He asked if I could go into one of the branches and do a teller counter withdrawal using the card in their POS machines...I told him no because both were crowded right now. He then said is there another bank's ATM you can try...I said yes, went to a KrungThai ATM and the transaction worked fine...but you can only pull Bt20K max per withdrawal which comes with the Bt200 fee. Sure I could have done another withdrawal but I really didn't want to enrich a Thai bank with another high Bt200 fee for around a 15K pull to get me pretty much up to my daily limit with the Schwab card.

Yeap, me having problems too with my Schwab card. We tested the wife's new chipped Schwab card "once" shortly after we got it...and it worked for that one transaction...haven't tried it since. Next month I'll try her card again along with mine in a TMB and/or Krungsri ATM...see what happens.

Are you using the ATM outside/inside a bank or one in a shopping centre?

I've sometimes had issue with remote Krungsri machines but not one at the bank.

What bank card are you using? Is is a chipped or magnetic strip card?

The Krungsri and TMB ATMs I used were part of bank branch....when I say "part" of the branch I mean they were part of the front wall of the bank...on each side of the branch's' doors....same-same as physically being inside their front doors. The ATMs were not lone ATMs on a soi, just grouped with some bank's ATMs in a mall; the ATMs were part of/right at the branch. New ATMs also.

Very interesting as the problem also started occurring for me once I got my "chipped" ATM card from Schwab. Could be a coincidence though as my Chase card stopped working as well and that one is not a new card. It's the same old card that I've had for well over a year and previously was able to use in Krungsri banks with no problems. Banks told me same thing as you... attempts do not show on their end and there must be a problem with the ATM. But I've tried so many Krungsri ATMS that it has to be a network problem or an incompatiblility with all Krungrsri and TMB ATMS.

This is really really annoying... Even though Schwab will reimburse the fees, as you stated above, I don't like the idea of making multiple withdrawls at the banks that only allow smaller withdraw amounts. The only other alternative is to start withdrawing from Citibank... only other bank that I know that allows 30k withdrawls, but those ATMs are so few and far between. I haven't tested one yet, but I will indeed make the hike there if I have to.

When did you try for TMB? I got a notice a couple of weeks back back they were doing some system maintenance over a weekend. So ATMs would likely be down for a day or so over a weekend. Can't remember whether it was this weekend or last. So could just be temporary.

Welcome to 2015 and fraud prevention technology. tongue.png

U.S. banks lagged behind the rest of the world, as the use of chips have been in place for some time for EU and Canadian banks. Many of us experienced this issue starting at least 2 years ago. The banks have effected a maximum withdrawal limit. I complained to my bank, who of course said it's "all the fault of the Thai banks". Here's a timeline of my problems; SCB was the 1st to go 2.5 years ago, then Bangkok Bank which had allowed 25,000, then Krungsri. The TMB was the last of the bank ATMs that was allowing the 30k withdrawals up until now, and it seems it is blocked as well.

This is a nice money maker for the Thai banks as one is obliged to pay a fee 2X if one needs more than 20,000. Very annoying. I won't go off on a rant about bank fees however, I extend my sympathies to the U.S.& Canadian TVFers who suffer the double whammy of lousy interest rates on deposits, and high banking service fees combined with exploitive interest rates on credit cards.

I would gladly welcome some suggestions as to what I can do to deal with this issue, aside from keeping the cash in a sock under my bed. Man, it really burns me too.

Whenever I have had this problem - several times - it invariably is an issue relating to my home (overseas) bank, and yes, sometimes they have initially denied that it is them. Only after pressuring them and citing earlier instances have they properly investigated the problem and unblocked it.

If you live here, bank here ... a bit at least. Simple - stop playing the American abroad!

Sorry to be blunt. I am not generally anti-American btw.

Hits the nail on the head.

If someone can manage to be here a year or so they should be able to manage opening a bank account. OK some branches of some banks are difficult and service is shall we say variable. Pick another branch or another bank. Anyone on a non-immig visa/extension will be able to open one. Sometimes conditions with some banks are even easier.

For these issues a basic deposit account with an ATM/debit card will solve it. That'll cost you about THB 100 a year. All your overseas ATM card headaches disappear. Worst thing that can happen is up country your bank's ATM is temporarily out of order and you pay 20 baht. Even then some banks have no ATM fee countrywide regardless of bank ATM used. THB deposit rates are on average higher than USD/CAD/EUR deposit rates too.

It's also true as above that many issues relate to the overseas side. Just people assume the Thai side because they aren't familiar with it here smile.png

For the withdrawal limit, I'm not exactly sure why less ATMs issue 25k or 30k, and 20k is more often the max nowadays. Maybe they realised it was more cost effective in some way, that few people took out over 25k, or smaller newer more efficient dispensing machines redesigned or whatever.

What I would say is that 99% of a Thai banks customers in Thailand are Thai. They haven't reduced the max ATM for everyone, just so they can charge the 1% of foreigners more smile.png

If you live here, bank here ... a bit at least. Simple - stop playing the American abroad!

I live and bank here. But to get money to put money into my Thai bank accounts a person need to get money from his home country banks. I bet you even have to do that unless all your income comes from Thailand.

OK, how do you get money from your home country bank into your Thai bank account (some people keep overlooking that little detail). Well, most people would want to get that money transferred over as cheaply as possible (no fees if possible) which usually boils down to either a wire transfer or ATM withdrawal (maybe a counter withdrawal also). Wires transfers incur fees on the Thai bank receiving end and usually the home country sending bank end also...and there might even be an intermediary/correspondent bank fee. Using forex money transfer services usually cost a front-end fee and usually have a lower exchange rate than the Thai bank TT Buying Rate. Using Western Union/PayPal is highway robbery exchange rate wise and sometimes fee-wise. However, my fee-reimbursing, no foreign transaction U.S. debit cards cost me nothing fee-wise (that's called free) and give the full card-network exchange rate which is plus or minus a few stang the Thai bank TT Buying Rate which is about the best exchange rate the common man can get.

Yes, don't overlook the little cost detail of first getting the money from your home country into your Thai bank.

The Krungsri and TMB ATMs I used were part of bank branch....when I say "part" of the branch I mean they were part of the front wall of the bank...on each side of the branch's' doors....same-same as physically being inside their front doors. The ATMs were not lone ATMs on a soi, just grouped with some bank's ATMs in a mall; the ATMs were part of/right at the branch. New ATMs also.

It's a Krungsri ATM card, no chip, magnetic strip only.

When did you try for TMB? I got a notice a couple of weeks back back they were doing some system maintenance over a weekend. So ATMs would likely be down for a day or so over a weekend. Can't remember whether it was this weekend or last. So could just be temporary.

Nope, I was doing my withdrawals at Krungsri and TMB ATMs on a weekday...a little before high noon....plus this has been ongoing for a couple of months with my new Schwab chipped card, to include the replacement card they sent me when I complained about the first one working intermittently. Me thinks it may be an ATM compatibility issue.

My next withdrawal attempt will be at a Bangkok Bank ATM although it only has a Bt25K max withdrawal per transaction vs Bt30K. And as mentioned earlier the KrungThai ATM worked fine but that was only 'one" withdrawal attempt which was a success. I wouldn't feel comfortable that saying my next withdrawal attempt form a KrungThai ATM using the Schwab chipped card would be successful as that requires more testing. And to do a "complete" test a person needs to actually receive money because like on the Krungsri ATM it worked fine right up to the point you press the final button which spits out the cash and then it errors out.

As I think back on it, I think I've had one successful withdrawal with my new chipped Schwab card (either the first card or the replacement) over the approx 4 months I've had the card...one success at the Krungsri ATM and one success at the TMB ATM...but the great majority of attempted withdrawals have meet with failure. And it's really strange how the TMB ATM usually reacts...you slide your card in, you enter your PIN, and immediately the ATM displays your account balance as if you did a balance check, displays that for a few seconds, then cancels the transaction, and spits your card out without you doing anything/touching anything. But the Krungsri ATM works normal right up until you press the last button of accepting the Bt200 fee which would then spit out your money....but no, it just gives you an error message and say contact your card-issuing bank. Never had this problem at Krungsri and TMB ATM when the Schwab card was magnetic strip only.

More ATM testing to do over the coming months...but at least I now know at least one more person with the new chipped Schwab card is experiencing ATM issues at Krungsri and TMB ATMs. I expect there are other Schwab card holders that may chime in regarding how there new chipped Schwab debit card is working at Thai ATMs, specifically Krungsri and TMB ATMs. Hopefully they will be specific in what bank ATMs they are using.

Well, of course your Krungsri ATM card works in a Krungsri ATM....mine does to.

This thread is talking about a foreign debit card, specifically the new Schwab "chipped" debit card working in Krungsri and TMB ATMs.

Sounds like may be a compatability issue Pib.

You're a very patient guy on trying all these things smile.png

BTW Are there no US banks that offer free international transfers? You mentioned about incurring costs on bringing money into the country.

I use StanChart and as a Priority Banking customer any international transfers between Stan Chart branches are free. Not my only bank in each country, but what I can do is transfer from a bank in a country to my Stan Chart account in that country and then transfer to Stan Chart Thailand for free. From there I can park it in Bangkok Bank Thailand, TMB etc very easily should I want to.

Then a Thai bank ATM fee free

That said I rarely do this, as I build up money in Thailand anyway. Plus occasionally just can't be bothered and for the sake of 15 - 20 USD just take the hit LOL

Well, of course your Krungsri ATM card works in a Krungsri ATM....mine does to.

This thread is talking about a foreign debit card, specifically the new Schwab "chipped" debit card working in Krungsri and TMB ATMs.

I was merely pointing out that there are sometimes problems with Krungsri ATM machines not attached to banks.

<snip> He asked if I could go into one of the branches and do a teller counter withdrawal using the card in their POS machines...I told him no because both were crowded right now. <snip>

Haven't had any issues with the chipped Schwab Visa debit card when POS swiped during my OTC withdrawls.

Sounds like may be a compatability issue Pib.

You're a very patient guy on trying all these things smile.png

BTW Are there no US banks that offer free international transfers? You mentioned about incurring costs on bringing money into the country.

I use StanChart and as a Priority Banking customer any international transfers between Stan Chart branches are free. Not my only bank in each country, but what I can do is transfer from a bank in a country to my Stan Chart account in that country and then transfer to Stan Chart Thailand for free. From there I can park it in Bangkok Bank Thailand, TMB etc very easily should I want to.

c

Then a Thai bank ATM fee free

That said I rarely do this, as I build up money in Thailand anyway. Plus occasionally just can't be bothered and for the sake of 15 - 20 USD just take the hit LOL

Most of my U.S. banks charge zero ACH transfer/sending fee, but as that ACH transfer goes through the Bangkok Bank NY branch it incurs a $5 or $10 transit fee for most typical amounts people would transfer and then when it arrives the in-Thailand Bangkok Bank branch the 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) fee is applied which is typical the Thai banks. If using SWIFT then you are talking a $25 to $50 sending fee and you still incur the Thai bank receiving fee. I don't know of any U.S. bank that provides free SWIFT transfer unless maybe being a priority/premium customer which I'm not. And of course it take 1 to 3 business days for an ACH transfer to arrive/post...about 1 day or maybe less with good timing for a SWIFT transfer to arrive. Me much prefer free and immediate transfers which an ATM withdrawal provides with my no foreign transaction fee and fee-reimbursing debit cards.

I just called my bank and they told me, that Visa Plus debit cards now seem to be blocked from making withdrawals in Thailand. Al least for those two banks: I tried with Citibank and Krungsri. On both it did not work.

With the Maestro card it still works. Tried with Citibank last Friday.

I just called my bank and they told me, that Visa Plus debit cards now seem to be blocked from making withdrawals in Thailand. Al least for those two banks: I tried with Citibank and Krungsri. On both it did not work.

With the Maestro card it still works. Tried with Citibank last Friday.

It's not because your Visa card carries the Visa Plus logo plus probably several other logos. Every Visa debit and credit card I have has the Visa Plus logo on it like the Schwab card. Schwab has not blocked Thailand for withdrawals as my new Schwab chipped card just works intermittently (most of the time it don't work) with Krungsri and TMB ATMs...and worked on the KrungThai ATM. Need to do more testing on Thai bank ATMs. My gut is telling me its a ATM compatibility thing.

Now individual banks/card companies can block certain countries for withdrawals and/or purchases--that purely a decision of the card issuing bank/company; not Visa or if a Mastercard, not Mastercard.

Your card-issuing bank establishes the polices for use of your card and implements them in the Visa/Mastercard network. Many times when you go to your bank's website somewhere on it it may identify what countries are blocked. Very common for cards issued by U.S. credit unions to have x-amount of blocked countries; usually a bank issued card will have fewer blocked countries. Like when I googled "debit card blocked countries" and came up with a long google list of banks/credit unions (mostly credit unions) blocking certain countries.

I expect it's just "your" bank in this case; it's not a Visa Plus logo issue.

I live and bank here. But to get money to put money into my Thai bank accounts a person need to get money from his home country banks. I bet you even have to do that unless all your income comes from Thailand.

OK, how do you get money from your home country bank into your Thai bank account (some people keep overlooking that little detail). Well, most people would want to get that money transferred over as cheaply as possible (no fees if possible) which usually boils down to either a wire transfer or ATM withdrawal (maybe a counter withdrawal also). Wires transfers incur fees on the Thai bank receiving end and usually the home country sending bank end also...and there might even be an intermediary/correspondent bank fee. Using forex money transfer services usually cost a front-end fee and usually have a lower exchange rate than the Thai bank TT Buying Rate. Using Western Union/PayPal is highway robbery exchange rate wise and sometimes fee-wise. However, my fee-reimbursing, no foreign transaction U.S. debit cards cost me nothing fee-wise (that's called free) and give the full card-network exchange rate which is plus or minus a few stang the Thai bank TT Buying Rate which is about the best exchange rate the common man can get.

Yes, don't overlook the little cost detail of first getting the money from your home country into your Thai bank.

Sounds like US banking is still a bit behind the curve ball Pib. There are of course many aspects of civilised society where America is way ahead on technology but I was genuinely shocked how prehistoric retail banking was when I lived (and loved living) in Houston 1978-80!

I go online and transfer the money into my Krungsri account - one-time transfers of several millions of baht every couple of years or so into a Krungsri Thai bank time deposit account, which pays me way more money than a UK bank would but would only let me make withdrawals cost free twice a month. HSBC charges me the equivalent of 45 dollars to do that (sounds a lot, but it's an infinitesimal % charge) and Krungsri charges me nothing. OK - there is a little matter of completing an exchange form for the bank* if the amount happens to be very large - can't remember the limit offhand (maybe 50 grand dollars).

I have a transactional Krungsri savings account that pays minimal interest but allows unrestricted withdrawals, so I occasionally transfer a month or so's expected spending to it form the time deposit account (online again - I find Krungsri's online facility to be pretty easy).

So there are ways of making the process pretty painless, but I do understand that I maybe have a little more trust in the future of Thai banking than many expats here!

Love and kisses to all Americans - not trying to denigrate anyone or any race here!

*I say 'for the bank' but apparently the form is there to oil the wheels of exchange if I wanted to re-export baht back to GBP

PIB likes to use his card - time is not money to him and he has access to accounts that refund fees so he seems to spend most of his life visiting ATM machines and reporting about it. biggrin.png

Americans have the same SWIFT access to make transfers and if using Bangkok Bank have the even cheaper ACH system so not sure how you can make this about American Banking being old fashioned. I do agree most Americans are still living in the check era and ATM card security needs improvement - but in general banking seems to be to international standards.

Sounds like US banking is still a bit behind the curve ball Pib. There are of course many aspects of civilised society where America is way ahead on technology but I was genuinely shocked how prehistoric retail banking was when I lived (and loved living) in Houston 1978-80!

Houston is in Texas....Texas plans to enter 2015 ten years from now.tongue.png

This isn't an issue with choosing the correct bank or swift codes or transfers. This is an issue with being able to make withdrawals from Krungsri and TMB banks for 30k. Not sure how the other stuff matters.

I get the exact exchange rate when I make a withdrawl from my Charles Schwab card, and the return all of the ATM fees, so there is no other option that makes sense. I also have Thai Bank accounts, but since my company is located overseas all of my money is deposited into an American bank account. Transferring to my Thai bank account and then eating the ATM charges would make no sense.

I will be doing some tests tomorrow to see if I can get my card to work at both TMB and Krungsri and will report back. A little more than a month ago I withdrew over 100,000 baht without a hitch from one card and about the same from the other so the is a very recent issue.

There are no ATM charges using a Thai bank account in the same region as the bank branch you used to open it. In the case of TMB there is no charge anywhere using there ATM's. So not sure what ATM charge eating you are worried about.

Houston is in Texas....Texas plans to enter 2015 ten years from now.tongue.png

Yep - Texas is the Isaan of America smile.png

Archived