End of the flea market at Prince Royal's

Puwa

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It'a shame to see these neighbourhood fixtures disappear and not know why. I found the market kind of cheesy but it was always a nice outing.

Is this where the Chinese tour group buses will be parking now?

Edited by WaiLai

Please excuse my ignorance, but is this the 'Saturday walking street market' located just south of the moat ?

Thanks

No, this is pretty much a junk/2nd hand market over the river. I am always amazed at some of the rubbish some people try to sell, but there must be a market for it or they wouldn't waste their time.

It was a great litle market for 2nd hand junk, I wonder where the vendors will move to now and I expect they will be a little peeved about having another source of income closed down.

There wasnt a lot there that took my interest but it was worth a look once a month. Paintball masks were cheap at 90 baht and on one of the roads there was a guy set up selling bicycle accessories. Pretty good looking rechargeable LED lights for bicyles white ones were 220 baht as were the red led lights, but he also had sets that flashed red and white alternately for 280 baht. Will have to get there next weekend before he decides to up sticks and go elsewhere.

Oh for those that dont know...its a daytime market. They generally pack up around 3pm with many relocating to the Sunday Market areas for evening sales

Edited by CMKiwi

Please excuse my ignorance, but is this the 'Saturday walking street market' located just south of the moat ?

Thanks

No, this is pretty much a junk/2nd hand market over the river. I am always amazed at some of the rubbish some people try to sell, but there must be a market for it or they wouldn't waste their time.

Didn't I hear somewhere...... one man's junk is another man's treasure.... [to be fair..... or woman's]

I, for one, will be sad to see them go...

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I can understand why it had to go. . Same as Chiang Mai gate market.... bedlam every sunday

Nothing wrong with a little bedlam every now and then. Especially when scheduled so it's easily avoided by those who don't want to join in.

Exactly

It does create a bit of chaos each Sat & Sun , but it not as though you have to drive thru on a main thoroughfare . Easy enough to take other streets to get around.... I think it is a mistake to close it and hope they reconsider.

I can understand why it had to go. . Same as Chiang Mai gate market.... bedlam every sunday

Nothing wrong with a little bedlam every now and then. Especially when scheduled so it's easily avoided by those who don't want to join in.

Exactly

It does create a bit of chaos each Sat & Sun , but it not as though you have to drive thru on a main thoroughfare . Easy enough to take other streets to get around.... I think it is a mistake to close it and hope they reconsider.

It's bad if you live there. I guess you don't?

But then if we follow that reasoning I would annoyed by all these hawker stalls that set up in the evening. Chang Puak Gate and Chiang Mai Gate being the main offenders. Lots of cars double and sometimes triple parked.

Easy to get around on a motorcycle but can be bedlam in a car. If I was a store owner or home owner in these areas Id be more annoyed by the greasy mess some of these stall leave behind plus having the storm water drains clogged up with all their 'slops'. And as the heat builds up during the day, my these drains begin to reek. No wonder you see so many rats about after dark...a fair few of them are the 4 legged kind too!

Maybe it just adds to the character of the place?

Edited by CMKiwi

Some people have a fear of being in crowded places and as is obvious can't understand why every one else doesn't. It will be missed. I have known people afraid to even leave the house.

But then if we follow that reasoning I would annoyed by all these hawker stalls that set up in the evening. Chang Puak Gate and Chiang Mai Gate being the main offenders. Lots of cars double and sometimes triple parked.

Easy to get around on a motorcycle but can be bedlam in a car. If I was a store owner or home owner in these areas Id be more annoyed by the greasy mess some of these stall leave behind plus having the storm water drains clogged up with all their 'slops'. And as the heat builds up during the day, my these drains begin to reek. No wonder you see so many rats about after dark...a fair few of them are the 4 legged kind too!

Maybe it just adds to the character of the place?

Well, you can't go down Wualai during the Saturday market at Chiang Mai gate. So if you live on Wualai, there is no easy way to get home, only a long, circuitous route down small sois where an SUV cannot pass due to other SUV's parked there.

The only people I know who have loved these walking street markets have not lived near them.

Edited by mesquite

Too many markets in Chiang Mai. Even Tesco & Big C give up prime parking areas to folk selling their garbage. And the rest of the car park is full from cars of folk wandering around looking at the same garbage that's on sale at every other market, so genuine customers of the supermarket have trouble finding a parking space. This country is full of shopholics. Lazada for me thumbsup.gif

Move all the markets on to the runway at CNX. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Eases traffic congestion & reduces arrivals. I'm not talking about "wet" markets which are useful, but those markets selling all the stuff that folk don't really need clap2.gif

My girlfriend was talking to one of the stallholders yesterday and she was told that some of the stall holders kept breaking the terms of the agreement to hold the market there. They are having a meeting soon to try and find someone to move next. Just reporting what I heard.

Edited by Throatwobbler