Dengue fever: Actor Thisadee 'Por' Sahawong has left foot amputated

webfact

Por had his left foot amputated to contain infection

IMG_20151122_233020-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Popular TV actor Thisadee (Por) Sahawong had his left foot amputated from the ankle down in order to contain serious infection, Ramathibodi hospital announced on Sunday.

The operation to remove Por’s left foot took place on Saturday after doctors found out that the patient’s blood pressure was uncontrollable due to serious infection of the left foot.

Doctors also operated on Por’s left lung to stop bleeding in the lung.

Blood pressure is now under control, pupil reflex remains normal while liver and kidney functioning is stable as muscle relaxant was administered to enhance the efficiency of respiratory machine. Complications in the gastrointestinal system have eased, according to the statement.

The patient still needs to be administered with anti-biotics, pressure stimulant, intravenous feeding, blood transfusion and kidney dialysis.

No traces of dengue fever were detected in the patient’s body but doctors have to treat complications from dengue fever and the patient is still being required to be kept at CCU for close monitoring, said the hospital.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/por-had-his-left-foot-amputated-to-contain-infection

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-23

I hate this to happen to anyone , but since it is an actor it gets press ,

Now will the government print up posters and plaster them all over Thailand explaining how you catch it , and how to get rid of places where standing water gives the mosquitos a place to breed.

And maybe a couple minutes on TV every night where they go out and find places where the mozzies are hiding !

Beside my house in a Bangkok suburb there was an expansive wetland with reeds and little, natural ponds shaded by banana and other trees and harboring fish and turtles. From my kitchen window I could frequently observe cormorants and herons coming to catch fish from those ponds.

More importantly, we've never had a mosquito problem. The fish living in those ponds made sure of that, feeding on mosquito larvae.

One day the land owner - a former army officer according to his own account - decided that he didn't like his "untidy" (as in "too much nature") plot. That was his only reasoning. He didn't have any plans to prepare his piece of land for some sort of building or anything. To him it simply didn't look beautiful enough with all that greenery and wildlife. So he sent bulldozers to level the land, fill in the ponds (burying the fish and turtles alive in the process) and uproot all the trees.

The plot was soon transformed from a tropical paradise into a vast expanse of dirt, a virtual desert where not one single blade of grass was left standing.

Since the soil was very loamy and not perfectly level, large puddles of standing water would form during every rain, providing the perfect breeding habitat for mosquitoes. And since all the fish - which previously had gorged on the larvae - were gone, our area soon was afflicted by a serious mosquito problem.

That wasteland created by a local with a bizarre sense of "beauty" remains to this day, with hardly any plants being able to break through the compacted surface.

Great job! And thanks for the mosquito pest, too! I am really just waiting to come down with dengue fever. Can I send my hospital bill to that idiot, I wonder.

Edited by Misterwhisper

Where did he contract Dengue Fever?

The dengue mosquito is pretty much everywhere, maybe more so in the NE regions......and very easy to contract with ~4000 cases reported now in Thailand.

I got it in Bangkok. Friend of mine knows a kid that died in his village.

Down in the South (NST) a neighbor got it.....Seems to be everywhere. Saturday they gassed the village but still full of mosquitoes, we spray the office twice a day....I still have at least 3 bites per day.

Dengue is always around... this year we've had more rain than the last few, and it is just exploding on the peninsula. It has always been the biggest killer of children in SEA, and this year brings a much higher risk. Apart from the Aedes mozzie and Dengue, there are hundreds of other afflictions the mozzie can deliver, such as Chikungoonya, Ross river, Malaria. and more benign problems such as tape worm. It is bad news. The dengue has differing intensities depending on many factors I know nothing about, but you don't want to get it... get it more than once and the problems increase. I've had it at least 3 times. Fluids up and para. That's it. I'll have a bitch while I'm here. The authorities don't do enough to minimize the risk. They only act after cases are reported. Thet should have a program that is implemented irrespective of threat. Spray every 2-3 weeks through the wet season... it's not rocket science. Too lazy. Can't think.

Dengue is always around... this year we've had more rain than the last few, and it is just exploding on the peninsula. It has always been the biggest killer of children in SEA, and this year brings a much higher risk. Apart from the Aedes mozzie and Dengue, there are hundreds of other afflictions the mozzie can deliver, such as Chikungoonya, Ross river, Malaria. and more benign problems such as tape worm. It is bad news. The dengue has differing intensities depending on many factors I know nothing about, but you don't want to get it... get it more than once and the problems increase. I've had it at least 3 times. Fluids up and para. That's it. I'll have a bitch while I'm here. The authorities don't do enough to minimize the risk. They only act after cases are reported. Thet should have a program that is implemented irrespective of threat. Spray every 2-3 weeks through the wet season... it's not rocket science. Too lazy. Can't think.

In Singapore both proactive and reactive "spraying" is undertaken by the National Environment Agency .

Are the Singaporeans "lazy" ? They, despite concentrated effort, have "failed" to control Dengue !

200+ cases of Dengue / week are being reported in Singapore !

MOHTABLE.jpg

What would you suggest Singapore, a small wealthy Nation, should do to eliminate Dengue ?

edited to insert graphic.

Edited by expatbrit

I visited my wife's mother in our local hospital on the Cambodian boarder yesterday, in a ward of twelve beds four patients are receiving treatment for dengue fever. All the mosquito screens on the windows were broken. I am now taking it seriously and keeping the house mosquito free.

not lucky feel sorry for him but he still alive because he have money and TvChanel 3 pay for him hospital plus other pepeole if he was a poor Men no money he will die anyway in thailand if you have money hospital take care of you no monney hey dont care of you

I'll have a pint of whatever you've been drinking burp.gif

What makes the aedes mosquito so dangerous, is it takes about 4 or 5 bites to get enough blood to make eggs.

No its doesn't, check out youtube videos, if a mozzy is undisturbed while feeding it can fill up its body in a minute or so.

http://www.who.int/denguecontrol/faq/en/index5.html

"Prefers to feed more than once" (page 6)

Edited by Mosha

So how much of this was dengue and how much secondary infections contracted while in hospital and not much to do with the original disease?

Although a possibility, it is unlikely. One usually sees hospital sourced infections when there are invasive procedures (e.g. surgery).

The question you should be asking is what was his underlying physical condition? Patients with suppressed immune systems or chronic disease are more likely to demonstrate complications. The loss of a lower appendage is unusual. I wonder if the patient had a circulatory disease, or diabetes. I would not be surprised if he smoked. Smokers are more likely to have amputations as their circulatory systems are impaired. . Smokers also require longer recovery times because smoking buggers up the immune system and tissue regeneration.

DENGUE MOSQUITO IN ACTION

https://youtu.be/dSm-N-C7BA0

This monster looking creature also can transmit malaria......

PREVENTION IN ACTION

https://youtu.be/3nVQL9t7kns

Easy to make..and looks like works!

the mosquitoes that transmit dengue and malaria are different. the Aedes mosquitoes breed in clean stagnant water (very common in urban settings), while the Anopheles mosquito breed in fresh moving water (imagine rural areas).

Where did he contract Dengue Fever?

The dengue mosquito is pretty much everywhere, maybe more so in the NE regions......and very easy to contract with ~4000 cases reported now in Thailand.

dengue is a virus not a mosquito. the dengue virus is transmitted by mosquitoes.

In Singapore both proactive and reactive "spraying" is undertaken by the National Environment Agency .

Are the Singaporeans "lazy" ? They, despite concentrated effort, have "failed" to control Dengue !

200+ cases of Dengue / week are being reported in Singapore !

MOHTABLE.jpg

What would you suggest Singapore, a small wealthy Nation, should do to eliminate Dengue ?

edited to insert graphic.

Singapore is even more equatorial than Thailand, and the prevalence of such viruses is increased. One could argue that without their initiatives, they might have 2000 cases per week, and not 200. It's a moot point of course. My point was in relation to the Thai mindset of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. They do it routinely, with pretty well every issue... as if it would be wrong to preemptively do something to counter a bad situation. If they sprayed every few weeks regardless through the high risk period, which is now, ensured the drains that wash the fecal matter into the gulf were free flowing, and ensured that receptacles and vessels containing water were emptied and set in place to not capture water, things would be improved. Old car tires are high on the list of favored breeding sites. How many of them do you see around the place. Sweet jesus, you see tomes of old crap collecting stagnant water at the amphur...it should not be there. They have no critical thinking ability or civic responsibility. This like so many civic duties borders on criminal negligence. Hopefully the Thais will get the picture about how voting works, so they can get rid of the inept. /RANT (30 years>> Bitter and twisted)

BREAKING: Actor 'Por Thridsadee' recovering after foot amputation
By Coconuts Bangkok

por_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Doctors said this afternoon actor Thridsadee "Por" Sahawong has made some progress in his recovery after being in a coma for three weeks and having his left foot amputated.

The nation has been shocked over the sudden illness of Por, 37, after he was struck with dengue fever and suffered complications from the disease. However he has made some progress since the amputation of his foot on Saturday night, Ramathibodi Hospital doctors said.

Por can now open his eyes and move his arms, and the wound on his left ankle where his infected foot was amputated is recovering well.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/25/breaking-actor-por-tridsadee-recovering-after-foot-amputation

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-25