Facebookers Face 8 Years in Jail for Criticizing Thai Cops

webfact

Well an 8 year sentence isn't a moral lessons is it, it's a legal one. Duh

In a way I wish they'd start here. Duh without really bothering since they were just charged on the weekend, it's unlikely they're going to get what's probably the max if convicted and sentenced to 8 years. But it does send out a message to fabricators that spread misinformation like gospel don't it?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's just hope thai police doesn't start browsing english forums...

If they charge everyone, who criticized the RTP for the handling of the Koh Tao case, they better build a new jail.

Regarding the forums, I suppose, we should use questions and the subjunctive, to be on the safe side, i.e.: Wouldn't it be more efficient for the RTP , to go after all the available evidence, like the CCTV material provided from the camera at the pier on Koh Tao, and the collected telephone data of the possible culprits?

We better be careful on here too,if they ever get to read some

of what is said about them on here,there could be a few arrests,

they are very sensitive,8 years is more than you would get for

murder !.

regards Worgeordie

It's okay. I will tell them you put me up to it.wink.png

I suppose it's true in this day and age that authorities both in Thailand or anyone else can find you out

through your e-mail address.

Both Thaivisa and Facebook have your e-mail address, just how private is it?

In a way I wish they'd start here. Duh without really bothering since they were just charged on the weekend, it's unlikely they're going to get what's probably the max if convicted and sentenced to 8 years. But it does send out a message to fabricators that spread misinformation like gospel don't it?

What?

What?

Seconded!

Oh no, don't insult the corrupt, lazy, idiotic and damn right stupid police force of Thailand. What a joke! Had many dealings with the Thai so called police and been left feeling let down, threatened and shocked at their incompatance. A police force filled with half wits who are fully responsible for most of the serious crimes themselves, who can be seen constantly breaking the law and then turn around trying to enforce it onto others whenever it suits them for their own needs. If you know one and have a bit of money you will be fine. Cross one or get on the wrong end of the law by standing your ground and relying on the truth and justice then you don't have a chance.

I don't care what they think, MAFIA IN BROWN UNIFORMS !!!!!!!!!

This is the ugly underbelly of Thailand's legal system: CRIMINAL libel and slander laws. In civilized countries those are CIVIL matters and you can sue for damages, but you can't be sent to jail.

If they wanted to enforce this thoroughly, every poster on ThaiVisa

would be looking at jail time.

Even me??

if the service isn't good enough then expect to be criticised, it's all part of feedback and continued improvements

and if you think you are beyond criticism be careful about the can of worms you are about to open, it will come back and bite you hard

If this woman broke the law then prosecute her for the offence she committed and move on, this libel accusation is pure nonsense and any reasonable court will see it that way

Only problem is .........finding a reasonable court !

This is one of Thailand's greatest liabilities...the inability to take criticism and not allow freedom of the press...

That is why they are a traditional status quo culture stuck in a time warp unable to improve themselves individually and collectively....

A real problem for them.....

CB

LOS a real democracy not. no freedom of speech

Why do posters constantly recite this idiocy, it's not 'a democracy' in case you hadn't noticed there was yet another military coup not far back and as to whether there was 'freedom of speech' under any other pretext for 'a democracy' in the shape of yet another bunch of thieves at the trough is debatable. Christ there are some real muppets on this forum.

I guess Thai Visa will have to write another forum rule: No criticizing any Thai government institution regardless of the validity of the critique.

Guess TV will have to go back an delete all reference to any Thai government institutions. That should cut their database about in half.

It looks like quite a few TV posters will be heading for the slammercoffee1.gif

Haha, yes could be a real hit to the Thai economy, as thousands

of TV posters are rounded up and sent to jail. And thousands

more flee to their home countries in terror of the military

re-education camps....cheesy.gif

In a bid to help save the Thai economy, perhaps the Thai police

could actually start arrest criminals instead of collecting corruption

money. Then they would no longer have to fear criticism.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

A Farang Buddy of mine has been selling Condo's for the last 17 years in Pattaya.

These days he has 2 categories of clients left:

- Long term Farang residents are clearly on the sellers side.

- Only "new Farang's" are left on the buyers side.

Witch side is better equipped to assess "where Thailand is going" ?

Should this tell us something?

Cheers.

Would you expect it to be the other way around? Think about it.

You need a more comprehensive analysis.

Sorry, I forgot to mention: Most sellers do not seem to re-invest their money in another real-estate project in Thailand.

Cheers.

This country seems to be getting worse in regard to freedom of speech. First it is do not criticize or comment on the Ratchapakdi Park fiasco (despite it being so obvious that corruption was involved), do not comment on politics or present political opinions even if you are a university lecturer teaching political science, and now do not criticize the police. Next it will be "Do not criticize the ban on criticism."

Bloody hell, when are they going to introduce thought police to this new Orwellian state.

What a strange question - what do you think this and many other official censures of free expression already amount to ?!

I guess Thai Visa will have to write another forum rule: No criticizing any Thai government institution regardless of the validity of the critique.

Guess TV will have to go back an delete all reference to any Thai government institutions. That should cut their database about in half.

Or perhaps ThaiVisa should be divided up into two sections. One for farangs

who reside in Thailand, so heavily moderated of course. Then have another

section for farangs to post in who live overseas beyond the reach of this lunatic

government, who are free to poke fun at these bizarre antics... :-)

What about the problems we are having in The Chiang Mai forum

About Promenada Immigration in Chiang Mai

Maybe we could all be charged

After all the immigration are under Umbrella of The Royal Thai Police

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/861438-immigration-promenada-one-stop-service-v2/

this crazy libel laws are since a longer time in power....Someone recall who made them?

The law, ie the Criminal Code, also known as the Penal Code, was made by the parliament in the year B.E. 2499, which I believe was A.D. 1956, and has been amended a few times since then.

And ex pats still want to move to Thailand or find ways to stay in that Draconian ruled junta. Why would you want to find a way to get a multiple or long term visa to have to deal with a government as repressive as the current Thai government?

Edited by Jimdandy