The Real Deal on the ground right now :)

DowntownAl

Hi guys/gals (sounds like I'm from the 1940s hahaha...oh wait...) looking for some real info from you real, on the ground, experienced folks. I will be arriving in the Jomtien area on December 2nd, I realize this is the high season and all but, nevertheless, it is what it is. I will be hitting the streets looking for a 9 month long stay condo/apartment/guest house in that neighbourhood. Center “that neighbourhood” in and around Chom Thian Soi 7/Rompho(ish). I've read a couple of posts where the OP has said he/she can't even find a hotel for more than one night (I found 840 of them on Agoda) and a condo in View Talay 1 that used to rent for 10K now rents for 18K. I lived in Chiang Mai for 3 1/12 years and saw the same sort of posts in that forum only to find that they were completely inaccurate once there and I'm hoping that the one I read this morning is as inaccurate.

Anyway, what's the real skinny as it were (there's that 40s thing again)? I want, would like to...find something in the 10K bracket, kitchenette, wi-fi etc. All the usual. I'm willing to walk a bit or use the baht buses a bit. Possible, even at high season? The reason I ask is mainly due to spotting an emergency condo sale on one page of ThaiVisa (meaning lots of empties) while another says he can't find anything reasonable. I also realize that despite the hundreds of ads for condo rentals that more than a few of them might be fake but, some still have to be real, yes? Well, I don't know the neighbourhood so I might be out in left field somewhere which is why I'm asking. I'm staying for 3 nights at Lek Jomtien Hotel on soi 7, so central to my choice of neighbourhood. If I can't find anything likable, off to Hua Hin -plan B

Any local info would be helpful. Thanks a lot.

BTW – is there a Land Transport office in the area? I lost my 5 year car license but I still have my motorcycle one and a photo copy of my lost car one. wai2.gif

Good luck in Hua Hin. Most things cost more than they do here.

And just because there are lots of condos for sale doesnt mean that rental prices will necessarily fall. Many people increase their prices at this time of year to take advantage of the busy season. For December/January the better places will have been booked for some time, and most of the ones left will be the overpriced rubbish.

But remember that everything is negotiable and if you mention that you want to stay 9 months a deal can probably be struck.

(By the way, anyone from the UK hearing the phrase "guys and gals" may assume that you are a historical sex offender.)

Edited by KittenKong

I bet Lek is cheap ?(it used to be anyway ) .Maybe they have a monthly rate to get you over Xmas ,New year .?A condominium worth trying is Jomtien Beach Condo .5 by15 heigh story blocks on Beach road Jomtien by Soi 10 .Their is an office at the front gate to your right or just go in and look at the notice boards on the ground floor of each block .Its a well managed place ,with two huge pools,a gym ,shops restaurants etc ,and a Wifi and cable TV service.From there just walk across the road to the beach .Baht busses pass by outside every 3 minutes at least .Block A2 is less popular as it has no view (stuck between two other blocks ) ,so you may get something cheap there .

Edited by anto