RTP and Immigration checks at Suvarnabhumi

A friend of a friend (really!!) tried to enter Thailand yesterday to visit his Thai girlfriend and was refused entry by Thai Immigration who sent him back home to the UK. It appears he has a 'criminal record' in the UK for a traffic infringement which I find a bit questionable.

More seriously, a friend is actually arriving at the beginning of December with his Thai wife and children for a Thai marriage ceremony upcountry. He has been here many times and never had a problem before but he is not 'whiter than white' when it comes to his police record having committed a few 'minor infringements' when he was a lad, if you get my drift? He and his wife are obviously concerned.

My question is twofold: a) Has Immigrationed been stepped up recently because of the Paris debacle, and B) would it be better for him to apply for a Tourist Visa at one of the Thai Consulates in the UK for an actual stamp in the passport?

His 'friend' arrived yesterday in the hope of a Tourist Visa on entry and my friend was going to do the same because he is only here for 28 days.

I'd be very grateful for some genuine help. Thank you!

It would not be denial of entry for a criminal record. I suspect he was wanted by the UK and they had done an international wants and warrants for him.

You friend arriving with his wife and family would not need a visa unless he plans on staying longer than 30 day. If he is staying longer than that he should get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage instead of a tourist visa.

• Like 1

I suspect your friend's "traffic violation" may well involve drugs and Thai immigration may have access to the Interpol database of such people.

I think not everyone that smokes pot would make it to the Interpol list, however anyone that once in their life on an interpol list could technically been banned from entering any country.

I wish Europol would give Thailand access to their database and you would see a few percents of Europeans not getting permitted more to enter Thailand (eg drug abusers, pedophiles, etc.)

Maybe someone have had this experience previously posted in Phuket forum

Anyone else.........I just had visit of Police / Immigration who had a long list with foreign names and in the aftermath of the Paris terror said they did a routine check on foreigners living in Phuket and want to have a picture of me

Firstly, I have no criminal record here or back home.

The visiting two Policemen was in civil clothes, had Police ID and said they did not like to do this job because it was a Immigration task, but that they had got the order from Phuket Police headquarter to check on foreigners who left out of Thailand just before the Paris terror and come in again just after the Paris terror. They had a name list with many foreign names with address in Thailand and passport number. What struck me later is that they not asked about my passport /Id to check if it actually was me they talk to and that they must have a h--l of job checking on everyone going out and in to Suvarnabhumi over a week...and yes they wanted a picture and then they was on their way.

I suspect your friend's "traffic violation" may well involve drugs and Thai immigration may have access to the Interpol database of such people.

I think not everyone that smokes pot would make it to the Interpol list, however anyone that once in their life on an interpol list could technically been banned from entering any country.

I wish Europol would give Thailand access to their database and you would see a few percents of Europeans not getting permitted more to enter Thailand (eg drug abusers, pedophiles, etc.)

I, speculatively, intended a pun that he was involved in drugs "trafficking". That would very likely attract Interpol interest.

I, speculatively, intended a pun that he was involved in drugs "trafficking". That would very likely attract Interpol interest.

All right. I thought just one of the many smokers.

whistling.gif

Has Immigrationed been stepped up recently because of the Paris debacle

---------------------------

Yes they have.

That fact was announced within the last week on the Thai news

Unfortunately, just bad timing for your friend's friend.

But good for Thailand right...the country doesn't need any more petty criminals running about I'm sure you'd agree.

• Like 1