Dual pricing - Anti Rant

Daffy D

If 200 baht, or $5 usd is going to break you...you should probably stay home and think about why you are so poor, and living in a foreign country!

Nobody has said 200 baht was going to break them. That's is not a rational standard to judge every expense.

People hate the policy because it's RACIST because your race determines the price you pay. It is especially indefensible now that showing a work permit or Thai driver's license doesn't work.

I don't have the right to be racist to people in California just because they're not from California. That is <deleted> crazy and so are you.

A California fishing license for non residents costs about five times as much a license for California residents so I guess the state has the right to be "racist" even if you do not.

You guys crack me up.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like when I go to a restaurant and order the same food as another table and get charged double what they are charged. Because I am rich and I love Thai people and it's always good to be complimented and to be thought of as upper class and to be respected.

My biggest complaint is that chain restaurants do not have a dual pricing system. I almost had a heartache at KFC when they insisted I pay the same prices as the rest of the customers.

Look at it another way - tourist attractions which charge, should generally subsidize locals by way of free or reduced rates........simple!! The 'dual' pricing is really for the benefit of locals, and is not only confined to Thailand.

There are establishments in Las Vegas that charge entrance fees to tourists, unless you can prove local residency by way of driver's licence, etc.

KFC hardly qualifies as a tourist attraction......

I'll put my coat on.......

The difference is that in hose places it is, as you say, locals. Citizens from other parts of the country are not considered locals and pay tourist price.

In Thailand, local means everyone except foreigners.

If 200 baht, or $5 usd is going to break you...you should probably stay home and think about why you are so poor, and living in a foreign country!

Nobody has said 200 baht was going to break them. That's is not a rational standard to judge every expense.

People hate the policy because it's RACIST because your race determines the price you pay. It is especially indefensible now that showing a work permit or Thai driver's license doesn't work.

I don't have the right to be racist to people in California just because they're not from California. That is <deleted> crazy and so are you.

A California fishing license for non residents costs about five times as much a license for California residents so I guess the state has the right to be "racist" even if you do not.

You guys crack me up.

NOBODY has the right to be racist, not Calufornia, not anybody. Out of state people are tourists so they don't get a discounted fishing licence, that's fair enough. You guys that don't know the difference between a local and a tourist crack me up

You guys crack me up.

NOBODY has the right to be racist, not Calufornia, not anybody. Out of state people are tourists so they don't get a discounted fishing licence, that's fair enough. You guys that don't know the difference between a local and a tourist crack me up

the locals get a subsidised licence or ticket because they pay taxes there, if farangs pain taxes in Thailand they should also pay the subsidised price but if they don't they should pay a higher price

I dont see why the argument, it is really a very simple issue. When I go to a zoo in Thailand I don't complain that I have to pay more , my taxes did not build the facility.

To put it in a different way, Thais are part owners, why should part owners pay the same price as non owners, they already paid when they paid their taxes.? If they pay the same at the gate they will actually be paying more.

You guys crack me up.

When I show my Thai driver license I most always get the "Thai" price.

Is a-hole a race? Maybe those are the people they charge extra.

I had a job maintaining campgrounds for the U.S. Forest Service in California.

It was very common to hear complaints about the daily fees for using the facilities...many would try to get away without paying at all.***

The fact is, the fees charged only pay for a small percentage of the operation of the campgrounds..

They lose mony, not make it.

** the funny thing was that the poor family with a tent and an old car would always pay, it was the people with RVs worth more than some houses who would try to cheat!

I am pleased that hd provides as so many parks and places of interest as they do.

The higher price we pay as foreiners is still a pretty low price.

Probably been mentioned several times but I am going to mention it again. Thai minimum wage less than $10 American a day. You could not even afford to cross the street much less come to Thailand if that was all you were making back home.

True, yet approximately 10-12% of Thai make more money than most Farangs. That % of the population is about the same as the population of ether Sweden,Austria or Switzerland. Not all earn as much as Danhin Chearavanont (worth 24billion US dollars) but their are many big hitters out there.

If this is even close to true, you've made a very interesting point on the topic.

You guys crack me up.

the locals get a subsidised licence or ticket because they pay taxes there, if farangs pain taxes in Thailand they should also pay the subsidised price but if they don't they should pay a higher price

I dont see why the argument, it is really a very simple issue. When I go to a zoo in Thailand I don't complain that I have to pay more , my taxes did not build the facility.

To put it in a different way, Thais are part owners, why should part owners pay the same price as non owners, they already paid when they paid their taxes.? If they pay the same at the gate they will actually be paying more.

No idea what goes on in California but I'd be willing to bet that "locals (who) get subsidised licences or tickets because they pay taxes there" actually pay a whole range of taxes - land taxes, vehicle taxes, purchase taxes, etc., etc. - and not only income tax, which seems to be the only tax that pro-differential-pricing advocates are willing to consider when discussing the matter re. Thailand.

I'd also be willing to bet that the only qualification that'd be checked for a 'local's subsidy' would be a valid address and not whether or not tax has been paid. It'd be presumed that any genuine resident would have paid taxes of some sort - how does anybody check that a private resident has paid e.g. VAT? I'm sure no genuine resident would be refused a local's licence because they hadn't paid income tax due to their being (perhaps) a housewife, or whatever the current PC description is, and not having a personal income to pay income tax on.

It'd also be presumed that, even if not USA citizens, with a valid address they'd be living there legally and wouldn't be refused because they were foreigners.

Guess what - I and my family, along with many other foreigners living in Thailand and their families, also pay some or all of those taxes I've mentioned. By virtue of my paying taxes (excluding income tax, which my non-working Thai neighbours also do not pay) in Thailand, by your logic I'm also part owner of taxpayer-funded facilities and entitled to the same 'local resident' considerations.

I also live in Thailand legally, even if the qualifications for staying here are far less onerous than the requirements for USA & my own country.

BTW, my local(ish) zoo is a private, non-taxpayer-funded enterprise that still charges a foreigner premium.

Many here are obviously confused.

This is not a racist policy.

Race has nothing to do with this.

This is a nationalist policy.

It is your nationality that makes the difference in what you pay not your race.

Believe it or don't, Thai citizens are of a number of races, but only one nationality.

You guys crack me up.

So...based on your argument rich Thais would obviously pay more tax and should therefore pay even less because they "part own" more of the attraction. Somehow I don't see much validity in your argument

The OP here seriously needs to take his head out. Its a scam, plain as day. Why do they price farang prices in English, and then Thai prices in Thai script? What are they hiding? And what do they charge half-Thais? It is unfair, callous, uneducated, and derogatory to charge a fee based simply on the color of your skin/hair. And, look around. Are the fees really paid to upkeep the parks? Be real. Koh Samet is a dump. All the extra fees go straight into pockets. And, Thailand is not "cheap." It is an industrialized country with a high standard of living due to the massive foreign investment western countries ploughed in. This is Mercedes Benz' second largest market in the world. Duh.

Yes the OP seems to think every Thai is a dirt poor farmer on clapped out Best, fact is most Thais visiting said parks are often as, or more well off than many farangs living here.....He'd know that if he actually went to them, and thats the joke here.

But lets not get in the way of his "fantasies" about living among the poor, wretched and downtrodden driving their 2015 forts or mercs to the parks.

I'm not a visitor here, I'm not a guest here. I'm a person who has chosen to make a home and a life here. I contribute to the community and economy in all sorts of ways.

I don't know why so many posters here don't get it.

Post back when you get a Thai Passport. Until then, you're an alien. A visitor. A guest.

I get it. I just don't agree. I'd rather live life on life's terms than get upset about something that had been going on for decades (centuries?) when I made my decision to stay here in Thailand.

Because when someone pisses me off- the knot is in my stomach, not theirs. So I'm happy to accept I'm an alien, a visitor, a guest. That isn't going to change in my lifetime no matter how much sweaty foreign money I bestow on the economy here (as if my pittance makes a difference)

Besides, I honestly believe dual pricing is required to maintain a decent level of quality and service in a lot of the places and activities I enjoy. (My post #7) So I encourage it. For selfish reasons.

Edited by impulse

You guys crack me up.

My government paid for the "friendship bridge" Thailand to Lao"

You know its funny they were my taxes yet I still have to pay.

Pray tell why do I still have to pay?

Can you explain that one away? I am after all "a part owner"

The cost was about £19 million,funded by the Australian government as development aid

You guys crack me up.

My government paid for the "friendship bridge" Thailand to Lao"

You know its funny they were my taxes yet I still have to pay.

Pray tell why do I still have to pay?

Can you explain that one away? I am after all "a part owner"

The cost was about £19 million,funded by the Australian government as development aid

The toll is for the car, not you.

I agree with you 100%, but I don't like it the way they bring it, (sorry for caps)

Because you are a FARANG you need to PAY MORE.

<deleted> this is racism at its best . theft of dignity and cash does not stop with the foreigner . it flows thru the Thai culture . it all depends what color you are , north or south people , darker as opposed to lighter ( HI-SO CHINESE SNOW WHITE) etc. . government handouts , loans , housing , the list goes on forever . you two choose to look the other way when a foreign man is over charged but think it is " doing business " when uneducated poor village people are robbed every day by the powers that be . oh ... I forgot to say poor "dark" village people . shame on you . soon this to will change for the better . but I feel not with your help . racism is racism no matter how you try to make it fit in a little box like the one you are in ! . ..........

Edited by CharlieH

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2015/02/entrance-fees-have-gone-up-at-31-national-parks-in-thailand/

Have a read of this a lot of the park are 10 times more, I stoped going a few years back when I got charged a lot of THB to see some crapy water fall some where I can't remember where it was now but I was there for 5 mins

If they are only going to charge the Thais 20THB better to let them in free, then we will have the illusion that will not geting ripped off

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by juice777

I can see paying a different price for entry into government sponsored places based upon the "tax" reasons

But what I find unconscionable is having to pay extra for privately owned and operated "attractions"

Why should I pay extra to go to Underwater World, Pattaya Floating Market, Mimosa, Mini Siam or any of those other commercial attractions ?

If Thais can afford to waste their money on these type of places then they should pay the same rip off price the tourists do. If the justification for this type of dual pricing is because tourists can more afford it, then the day trippers from Bangkok can afford it also

This whole subject is not about racism but about price gouging

Information extracted from the Thailand Revenue Department website; http://www.rd.go.th/publish/24602.0.html 2014 Report, table on p. 94 with a small addition of 'Average baht/person'.

THAILAND TAX REVENUE FISCAL YEAR 2014

Average baht/person

X,000,000 Baht (assuming 67,000,000 population) % Total Tax Take

VAT 711,523 10,620 41.13

Personal Income Tax (PIT) 281,007 4,194 16.24

Average (PIT + VAT) per person = 10,620 + 4,194 = 14,814 Baht.

Since the only one of those I pay on a regular basis is VAT, this equates to a VAT-liable annual spend of 14,814 / 7% = 211,628 Baht, i.e. if I spend more than 211,628 Baht p.a., I meet the average (PIT + VAT) tax payment per person in Thailand.

I live in Thailand all year and spend much more than that every year, I reckon I more than pay my way, taxwise, in Thailand and that should be recognized by (for the purposes of this discussion) the NP authorities and any others who operate differential pricing policies based on their belief that resident foreigners don’t pay tax.

We are a family of 2 – my wife & myself – so our ‘share’ of the (PIT +VAT) take is 29,628 Baht.

My wife pays about 50,000 baht PIT p.a. plus her VAT share, so as a family, we pay well above the average tax payment.

(OK, I've taken a fairly simple view of this just for discussion).

Why should I pay extra to go to Underwater World, Pattaya Floating Market, Mimosa, Mini Siam or any of those other commercial attractions ?

Because that's the price they're charging. If you don't like it, you don't have to go.

I don't and the dual pricing is why. But you don't want to address why a Thai should pay less at a commercial venue

Where does it stop ? Should I pay more to go to a movie because that is what they charge? Should a Thai pay less at McDonalds because he is Thai ? Are we going to set up foreigners only check-out lines at Tesco ?

Information extracted from the Thailand Revenue Department website; http://www.rd.go.th/publish/24602.0.html 2014 Report, table on p. 94 with a small addition of 'Average baht/person'.

THAILAND TAX REVENUE FISCAL YEAR 2014

Average baht/person

X,000,000 Baht (assuming 67,000,000 population) % Total Tax Take

VAT 711,523 10,620 41.13

Personal Income Tax (PIT) 281,007 4,194 16.24

Average (PIT + VAT) per person = 10,620 + 4,194 = 14,814 Baht.

Since the only one of those I pay on a regular basis is VAT, this equates to a VAT-liable annual spend of 14,814 / 7% = 211,628 Baht, i.e. if I spend more than 211,628 Baht p.a., I meet the average (PIT + VAT) tax payment per person in Thailand.

I live in Thailand all year and spend much more than that every year, I reckon I more than pay my way, taxwise, in Thailand and that should be recognized by (for the purposes of this discussion) the NP authorities and any others who operate differential pricing policies based on their belief that resident foreigners dont pay tax.

We are a family of 2 my wife & myself so our share of the (PIT +VAT) take is 29,628 Baht.

My wife pays about 50,000 baht PIT p.a. plus her VAT share, so as a family, we pay well above the average tax payment.

(OK, I've taken a fairly simple view of this just for discussion).

Heh. I pay more in one month PIT than you and your wife do in 12 :-(

Because that's the price they're charging. If you don't like it, you don't have to go.

I don't and the dual pricing is why. But you don't want to address why a Thai should pay less at a commercial venue

Where does it stop ? Should I pay more to go to a movie because that is what they charge? Should a Thai pay less at McDonalds because he is Thai ? Are we going to set up foreigners only check-out lines at Tesco ?

It stops when you leave.

Are we going to argue and bitch about a system we can't change?

Are we going to rant and rave until our heads implode?

Are we going to refuse to go anywhere until they change?

Up to you, but I'm going to take it stride and visit where ever I want for whatever price is asked, and not going to stress about it.

Life is easier than you are making it foryourself.

I find the whole dual pricing offensive as I believe it is a form of discrimination and apartheid.

You cannot justify discrimination simply because someone may be able to pay more money than another. One of the things that I do find attractive about Thailand is they are very welcoming people and treat EVERYONE with respect.

Therefore whatever the drivers are for have discriminatory pricing, however noble you paint the picture, in my humble opinion, it is still wrong.

It would be better to fund these parks through lottery schemes like Museums in the UK. That way everyone can enjoy them for free and it would increase tourism who would spend their money in shops and restaurants etc.

I find the whole dual pricing offensive as I believe it is a form of discrimination and apartheid.

One of the things that I do find attractive about Thailand is they are very welcoming people and treat EVERYONE with respect.

A HUGE contradiction there.

You cannot justify discrimination simply because someone may be able to pay more money than another. One of the things that I do find attractive about Thailand is they are very welcoming people and treat EVERYONE with respect.

Therefore whatever the drivers are for have discriminatory pricing, however noble you paint the picture, in my humble opinion, it is still wrong.

It would be better to fund these parks through lottery schemes like Museums in the UK. That way everyone can enjoy them for free and it would increase tourism who would spend their money in shops and restaurants etc.

You are misinformed. It has nothing to do with whether or not one can pay more. Rich Thais get in for the Thai price, and poor tourists get in for the non-Thai price.