Runners think twice about Thailand after Bangkok half-marathon gaffe

webfact

Runners think twice about Thailand after Bangkok half-marathon gaffe
by Murray Hunter

Short-sighted race organizers are hindering the development of Thailand as a runners’ destination

BANGKOK: -- MARATHONS in Thailand have the potential to draw in big foreign crowds. However, local organizers appear to be more concerned with pulling in quick money than making improvements and investing in the long-term development and market positioning of their races.

Greed on the part of Thai promoters and event management companies is preventing local marathons from cashing in on the global running boom as many would-be participants look to other destinations after recent bad press.

Although local organizers want top dollar from foreign participants, they are unwilling to provide the same standards and facilities as other similar marathons around the world provide runners.

Full story: http://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/11/runners-think-twice-about-thailand-after-bangkok-half-marathon-gaffe/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONDENT 2015-11-25

Some foreign runners were shocked to find that they were attacked by dogs along the course.

Good one. Welcome to Thailand.

LMAO.

They should give each runner a short length of bamboo to wave at the dogs when they are attacked.

Every dog I have ever encountered backs off at such a sight.

Some foreign runners were shocked to find that they were attacked by dogs along the course.

LMAO.

They should give each runner a short length of bamboo to wave at the dogs when they are attacked.

Every dog I have ever encountered backs off at such a sight.

"Every dog I have ever encountered backs off at such a sight."

Even dogs owned by red shirts, John??

"Traffic control is another matter of concern in Thailand. Many runners along Thai marathon courses are instructed by police to stop for traffic. This is unheard of anywhere else in any major city marathon." ---

It's so ridculous it's laughable !

Jesus, they made a cock up, life moves on- the way people keep going on about it, it as if its the end of the World.

I am sure very few people who planned to travel for a marathon would be particularly deterred.

Think about the runners. An extra 7km for someone who's trained to jog 21km max. Daunting. Then there's traffic. Heat. Humidity. Dirt. Dust. Pollution. Clogged pavements. No refreshments (probably). Few signs (probably). Confusion. No "friendly" faces (as in officials). The runners would be distraught, as would be their backup folk.

It's a big deal. For everyone concerned, except the genius who organised it, who probably thinks he did a cracking job and should be admired for it.

You need to get out more.

Jesus, they made a cock up, life moves on- the way people keep going on about it, it as if its the end of the World.

I am sure very few people who planned to travel for a marathon would be particularly deterred.

Think about the runners. An extra 7km for someone who's trained to jog 21km max. Daunting. Then there's traffic. Heat. Humidity. Dirt. Dust. Pollution. Clogged pavements. No refreshments (probably). Few signs (probably). Confusion. No "friendly" faces (as in officials). The runners would be distraught, as would be their backup folk.

It's a big deal. For everyone concerned, except the genius who organised it, who probably thinks he did a cracking job and should be admired for it.

You forgot the dogs.

As for the genius who "organized" it, he/they should be chased around the course followed by a pack of rabid soidogs.

You are right though. It was a tough job. They just got "confused".

Edited by jaywalker

"Traffic control is another matter of concern in Thailand. Many runners along Thai marathon courses are instructed by police to stop for traffic. This is unheard of anywhere else in any major city marathon." ---

It's so ridculous it's laughable !

It's the same with cycling races ;

I remember , last year or two years ago;

Khon Kaen race ;

we had to do twice the ring road ;

no security during the second lap .

It's finish for me to participate at a cycling road race , apart in my province : Sakon Nakhon .

I'm still young - only 66 tongue.png -, don't want to die because organisers don't think about security along the roads .

The dogs aren't dangerous; you have to speak in lao with them :

Bo kin farang, bo sep ;

don't eat farang, they aren't good .cheesy.gif

You forgot the dogs.

As for the genius who "organized" it, he/they should be chased around the course followed by a pack of rabid soidogs.

The entire "problem" is because foreigners don't understand Thainess where 21km doesn't really mean 21km. Geeze world get with it. :-)

I have ran in several non-professional half-marathons around Thailand, and enjoyed them immensely.

I do find it amusing that these events were always sponsored by sports mineral drinks such as M DRINKS, but the drink stations along the routes only provided cups of water.

Although local organizers want top dollar from foreign participants, they are unwilling to provide the same standards and facilities as other similar marathons around the world provide runners.

Pay world class atheletes who are predominantly african to perform in Thailand ??? What do you reckon?

Pay world class atheletes who are predominantly african to perform in Thailand ??? What do you reckon?

"Other issues where the Thai marathons often fall down are in the refreshments along the course. Other than basic water and isotonic drinks, there is very little in the range of refreshments that organizers provide."

Last time I ran the Bangkok marathon they ran out of isotonic drinks on the second half of the course.

Won't run it again.

Did the Angkor Wat Half marathon last December.

Much better organised and way more scenic.

Matched only by the Ocean to Ocean run as an experience for me.

Edited by Bluespunk

You're obviously not a runner.....!

7 KM extra on a 21 KM run, know I wouldn't want to be involved in that.

Training for 21 is tough enough....

Adding a few extra kilometres to the half-marathon course doesn’t send a very good message to potential participants either!

These guys need to reassess their capabilities. May I suggest something that they might just about be able to handle.

post-209291-0-70482000-1448444384_thumb.

This Marathon is a massive joke. I did this Standard Chartered organised full marathon in 2012. It was shockingly horrible.

First : You start at 3 am for weather and traffic condition (I am suprised traffic wasn't stop along the route, for the weather part, I understand for the health of some people but surely it wouldn't interfer with Kenyan's superstars who are crushing everyone's time).

Second : Out of 42km, 36 were actually on the Motorway. On top of that, after 18km we had to make a ridiculous U-Turn and run back the same stupid motorway, no joke.

It is absolutely unbelievable that they cannot find a proper route where we can actually see something of Bangkok or show people around a sport event. No one would support a poor runner at 4am on a motorway bridge... So not only the route is horrible but it's probably one of the loneliest marathon ever (behind badwater in the Death Valley of course smile.png )

For the beverage, I would say that it was ok, I do not remember having anything to complain about that and I did not heard of it either.

Soi dogs, I had been lucky enough not to have any either. As exhausted as I was, I wouldn't be there today to talk about it if there were any haha.

Hopefully this time they will learn from this bad press and offer something worth the buck and the effort for the runner...

Edited by veyron18

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Every Farang runner should have a Thai mailman running beside them , so that the dog will bite the mailman and not them.

Then Thailand can be the HUB of Asian Marathons !!

Wrong, big time! A friend, a serious runner, told me that many participants in the now famous long half marathon suffered very badly. They pace themselves against their optimum performance profile for the distance, meaning they expect to reach their limit at or near the finishing line, only to discover far too late in the race that they have to run the extra very significant distance. Many were quite ill, excessively dehydrated, loss of minerals, etc. This can actually be very dangerous.

IIF the , what seems normal format in planning was followed, for a marathon. None of the people planning on making money off the event had ever run in a marathon. Then add in they would not want to walk the route, probably did not know how to measure distance except by highway distance markers, or signs showing distance to next town. Did not consider the min. requiment for fluids vs distance run vs number of runners. Most likely did not travel the proposed route during a same time of day time frame. provide people along the entire route within eye sight of each other to provide assistance or call for if a runner required assistance.etc

As a long time, several decades runner, I disagree. Entry fees are paid, with the expectation of a professional event. There are plenty of other races around the world that do provide the professionism expected. Like any other sport, precision, quality and care are the expectations when a race is announced.

You forgot the dogs.

The entire "problem" is because foreigners don't understand Thainess where 21km doesn't really mean 21km. Geeze world get with it. :-)

This doublethinking, they need be careful,

I wouldn't put it past teh locals to invoice them for the'free' extra miles they trod.

Almost like flogging a dead donkey.

Edited by RubbaJohnny