TrueMove Aircard 4G MAX SURF 100Mbps

StraightTalk

I just purchased a TrueMove Aircard 4G MAX SURF 100Mbps (USB Stick).

The system requirements for this 4G aircard indicates compatibility with
WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win8, Mac OS and Linux and the installation
instruction shows: "The OS will automatically recognise the new
hardware, and start the installation wizard."

However, the network connection of Linux Mint 17.2 does not recognise anything when
inserting the USB stick to the port.

When trying to set up a new Mobile Broadband connection in Connection
editor:
"The assistant helps you easily set up a mobile broadband connection to
a cellular (3G) network."

There is no mentioning about a 4G network.

I previously installed successfully a 3G aircard but the 4G card will not.

Any ideas on how to install the 4g aircard to Linux Mint are most welcome.

The ZTE MF82XX is pretty popular and is well supported. Because Mint 17.2 is still based on Ubuntu 14.04LTS not everything get up-to-date.

Please comfirm if the solution worked or not, that is not clear in your response....

No, this didn't work at all. I've been in contact with numerous fora & newsgroups... all negative so far.

• 2 weeks later...

The ZTE MF82XX is pretty popular and is well supported. Because Mint 17.2 is still based on Ubuntu 14.04LTS not everything get up-to-date.

Please comfirm if the solution worked or not, that is not clear in your response....

No, this didn't work at all. I've been in contact with numerous fora & newsgroups... all negative so far.

Evidently system requirement for this 4G aircard is incompatible with Linux but I don't have any realistic hope for getting a meaningful response let alone refund from TrueMove.

Dear Valued ZTE Customer,

Thanks for contacting ZTE.

We are sorry to tell you that ZTE MF823 doesn't support Linux system.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Should there be further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards!

ZTE

Email: [email protected]

[unquote]

How deep is your understanding of Linux, or working with the command line?

These two entries were found under an ArchLinux wiki entry, but it seems generic enough that it should apply to other Linux variants so long as USB devices are being recognized:

[sOLVED] 4G ZTE MF823 Modem - no connection

ZTE MF 823 (Megafon M100-3) 4G Modem

"This modem is recognised as Ethernet interface. That means you don't need special programs to work with it.

Use NetworkManager or dhcdpc [...or whatever app your OS provides for configuring Ethernet Ports]
You will see that the LED (Blue - 2G/3G or Green - 4G) on modem is not blinking.
To establish a connection, the following link (CGI command) should be entered in a browser" ...see link for more

How deep is your understanding of Linux, or working with the command line?

These two entries were found under an ArchLinux wiki entry, but it seems generic enough that it should apply to other Linux variants so long as USB devices are being recognized:

[sOLVED] 4G ZTE MF823 Modem - no connection

ZTE MF 823 (Megafon M100-3) 4G Modem

"This modem is recognised as Ethernet interface. That means you don't need special programs to work with it.

Use NetworkManager or dhcdpc [...or whatever app your OS provides for configuring Ethernet Ports]
You will see that the LED (Blue - 2G/3G or Green - 4G) on modem is not blinking.
To establish a connection, the following link (CGI command) should be entered in a browser" ...see link for more

I am aware of these links but can not connect to either of them:

192.168.0.1/goform/goform_set_cmd_process?goformId=CONNECT_NETWORK

192.168.0.1/goform/goform_set_cmd_process?goformId=SET_CONNECTION_MODE&ConnectionMode=auto_dial

Are you able to establish a connection?

Stories like this is why Linux has never taken off and will never be mainstream, it is, and still is, an OS for geeks who have the knowledge to deal "command lines" something I have not had to use since the not so good old days of DOS

Yep.

While this device might be made to work on a Linux system, the OP may lack the alternate skill set or even the desire to waste potentially hours verifying, step-by-step, each part of the process necessary to activate the device over the USB and Ethernet Interfaces. This particular install attempt certainly isn't following the Plug n' Play bedtime story we like to envision before falling asleep.

I am aware of these links but can not connect to either of them:

192.168.0.1/goform/goform_set_cmd_process?goformId=CONNECT_NETWORK
192.168.0.1/goform/goform_set_cmd_process?goformId=SET_CONNECTION_MODE&ConnectionMode=auto_dial

Are you able to establish a connection?

Sorry, I don't currently have one of these devices though in the past I have assisted others in getting devices to work with their installed Linux distributions ...though not always successfully as it depends on the support available in each distribution.

The links I posted hinted that this device might work on certain Linux versions ... but some prior diagnostic experience may be necessary to get the device up and running.

I would have checked your OS Network Interface settings to see if the 'additional' Ethernet device was recognized and configured with an IP address before even trying the browser commands.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of those usb mobile cards start as a usb disk and then switch to a different usb id to be used as a network device. Last time in Thailand I just had a sim with internet enabled in my android mobile and used tethering so i could use wifi on other devices to connect to the internet.

Once I got the True surf stick to work on Linux but it needed a restart everything I plugged it in.

Stories like this is why Linux has never taken off and will never be mainstream, it is, and still is, an OS for geeks who have the knowledge to deal "command lines" something I have not had to use since the not so good old days of DOS

You forget that Linux is the most used operating system in the world. First you have to ask what Linux is… The answer is that Linux is the kernel that runs in the background, this kernel is used for every Android phone and tabled, numerous smart TV’s and who knows how much pay TV and satellite receiver boxes and not forget how much routers and firewall network products are using the kernel?

Some Linux Distributions, what basically means the Linux kernel with other packages that will for a useful product can be considered not ready for mainstream users. But we should not forget that the Linux distribution discussed here is more than 2-years old and is based on a Linux kernel that is 3-years old, sure the kernel still receives security updates… but security updates do not include support for new hardware…

I bet that some modern hardware also would have some problems if you try to use it with MS Windows 2000, XP or Vista… Especially if the vendor doesn’t have the appropriated software drivers….

• 2 weeks later...

It has nothing to do with Linux being an OS for geeks. The card manufacturer is clear "We are sorry to tell you that ZTE MF823 doesn't support Linux system". It's like trying to install a Windows software on Mac or talking to a Thai in Spanish and complaining he doesn't reply ... Oh wait, wrong forum, this is ThaiVisa here, people actually do expect the Thai to understand. My bad, sorry.

It has nothing to do with Linux being an OS for geeks. The card manufacturer is clear "We are sorry to tell you that ZTE MF823 doesn't support Linux system". It's like trying to install a Windows software on Mac or talking to a Thai in Spanish and complaining he doesn't reply ... Oh wait, wrong forum, this is ThaiVisa here, people actually do expect the Thai to understand. My bad, sorry.

And why do you think that the manufacturer is not supporting Linux ?

Linux has never taken off and will never be mainstream,

You can use the ZTE MF823 G4 dongle with the average modern Linux distribution by using a package called ndiswrapper. NDISwrapper is a free software driver wrapper that enables the use of Windows XP network device drivers (for devices such as PCI cards, USB modems, and routers) on Linux operating systems.

MS Windows XP is supported for the ZTE MF823 so it should work....

Archived