Dec 2015 Visa Run cost - termination of employment

Thanks in advance for your assistance:

I was fired from a multi-national corporation and had my work permit and visa cancelled. All my possessions are currently in Thailand; and I have three days until last day of work. I have to be out of the country on that day, correct? The 7 day extension seems like a waste of money.

I can hire someone for a visa run at a cost of 6100 baht (bus, hotel and visa costs); get a 60 day visa (I assume tourist), then I'll apply for a 30 day extension. Gives me 90 days to find a new job.

Is this cost appropriate? Or is there a cheaper alternative? And all of this is on the "up and up"?

Last time I stayed long time, I took a teaching job, only to find out upon departure I had no visa and had been here illegally the entire time. 20,000 baht fixed it at airport immigration; but could have been big trouble. I'll probably look for any work; even teaching (only chemistry or physics - no English) because I am a bit of a work-aholic. Any issue with changing from tourist visa to work visa??

Thanks so much for your time with this and I'm sure others will benefit.

You did not say where you would be going for the visa and from where.

If crossing to Laos you will need a termination letter from your employer unless you have been to immigration to have your extension of stay cancelled. Without the letter or the cancellation done they will not let you leave.

From Bangkok there is a company that charges 3000 baht for the trip to Vientiane along with room and meals. Then you pay 1500 baht for the Lao visa and 1000 baht for the tourist visa. You can save a little money by paying for the Lao visa in USD that is $30 to $42 dependent upon your nationality.

You can do the trip yourself and probably save a little on transport charges.

Sorry, I would go anywhere - but I heard that Laos is currently better than Cambodia. So the 6100 baht all inclusive is a good deal. Thanks so much for your reply. The cancellation is done and stamped in my passport. Good advice to bring all my paperwork. My passport is from USA.

Now what about switching from tourist to work visa? Will that require another trip out of the country?

Whether or not you have to leave the country to get a non-b visa depends upon the job, company and your qualifications.

Most people go out for the non-b because it is easier than applying for a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa at immigration.