Schengen under pressure after terror attacks

webfact

Schengen under pressure after terror attacks

606x341_317806.jpg

Random checks on the French-German border.

This could become a more common sight after the bloodshed in Paris two weeks ago.

France wants tighter controls across the Schengen zone, a passport free travel area of 22 EU and 4 non-EU countries.

Paris also wants existing law enforcement databases to be used more.

One of them is the Schengen Information System, which allows police forces to share data.

“All I can say that in 2014, there were some two billion requests made on this system. So I am a bit sceptical when people say the system is not used,” said Bernard Kirch, head of operation at the Schengen Information System.

At present only, only non-EU citizens are systematically checked when they enter the Schengen zone.

To introduce systematic controls on all citizens, the Schengen rules should be modified, says euronews’s Margherita Sforza.

The European Commission should present a proposal by the end of the year, she reports.

A plan to collate and share air passenger data, known as the Passenger Name Record, was revived after the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

British Conservative MEP Timothy Kirkhope is steering the draft legislation through parliament.

He says it needs to include internal EU flights to be effective.

The so-called PNR system was scotched by MEPs in 2013 on civil liberties grounds.

The United States enacted similar legislation after September the 11th in 2001.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-27

Schengen was a great idea but in this age of terrorists it just is not workable, i remember it was such a relieve at a time in my life when i was traveling for work around europe, no queuing no passport or vehicle paper controls,

There really is a large number of french who cross the border for work in germany each morning, for me it was the opposite...germany to france for my work place,

Likewise its amazing how many germans live just across the border in holland because of the cheaper cost of living but commute to germany each day for work,

Will be a real pain in the arse for these people if things change.

Please bring back passport- or ID-card control at all the borders in Europe.

A highly necessary first step in stopping the threats of terrorism and acts of terrorism by, dare to say it, followers of a certain "religion of peace"

It also might become a good tool to stop the import of "fugitives" and the return of imports already there to wherever they came from.

Hopefully the above mentioned religion can be removed from Europe in time.

hansnl, on 28 Nov 2015 - 09:22, said:

Please bring back passport- or ID-card control at all the borders in Europe.

A highly necessary first step in stopping the threats of terrorism and acts of terrorism by, dare to say it, followers of a certain "religion of peace"

It also might become a good tool to stop the import of "fugitives" and the return of imports already there to wherever they came from.

Hopefully the above mentioned religion can be removed from Europe in time.

Far too late.

These deluded fools already have all the documentation they need.

It is time that the EU adopted the Canadian policy. Woman and children only with no right to bring other family members. That would reduce the hordes currently assaulting the EU on three fronts to a mere trickle.

Schengen could/would work if the external borders were secure and all participants played by the same rules.

There have been many a discussion ridiculing or downright hateful comments regarding US immigration controls by some commentators on this esteemed forum. However once within the US your right of travel across state borders in unimpeded.

Like it or not, the EU, or at least the Schengen area is not unlike the United States, and criticize, whine as much as you like, but the choice is clear. You either impose a rigorous and uniform external border controls like the US, or if member states can't trust that, end Schengen and impose nation state border checks.

The choices are, for me at least fairly obvious, but my reading of European Union policy making tends to make me think than endless hand wringing and countless hours of political discussion shows are in the more immediate future rather than actual action!