Mild Earthquake Felt In Prachuap Khirikhan

george

Mild earthquake felt in Prachuap Khirikhan

The Meteorological Department announced Sunday morning that an earthquake measured at 5.6 on the Richter scale occurred in Burma and was felt in Prachuap Khirikhan.

The quake happened at 4:17 am about 70 kilometres west of Prachuap Khirikhan, the department announced in a statement.

The Nation 2006-10-08

according to other sources , this earthquake was bang slap in the middle of the gulf of thailand , 110 miles NE of chumpon

Earthquake Details

Magnitude 5.0 (Moderate)

Date-Time Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 21:12:30 (UTC)

= Coordinated Universal Time

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 4:12:30 AM

= local time at epicenter Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 11.822°N, 100.137°E

Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program

Region GULF OF THAILAND

Distances 180 km (110 miles) NE of Chumphon, Thailand185 km (115 miles) ESE of Mergui, Myanmar

215 km (135 miles) S of BANGKOK, Thailand

695 km (430 miles) SE of YANGON (Rangoon), Myanmar

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 23.8 km (14.8 miles); depth fixed by location program

Parameters Nst= 19, Nph= 19, Dmin=744.6 km, Rmss=1.25 sec, Gp=115°,

M-type=body magnitude (Mb), Version=6

URL: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recent...akes/ustna4.php

Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID ustna4

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

That is a surprise to be so near to Bangkok. I was just talking to a friend of mine who stayed in Bangkok in the mid 70's and he said he experienced an earthquake when he was there. Looking at the little tiny sticks they call building columns in Bangkok, and looking at the building columns in Tokyo and San Francisco airports (buildings that are not nearly as tall) does not leave me with good feelings of safety should any earthquake hit.

Can anyone provide a link to a website that shows fault lines in the area?

Looking at the little tiny sticks they call building columns in Bangkok, and looking at the building columns in Tokyo and San Francisco airports (buildings that are not nearly as tall) does not leave me with good feelings of safety should any earthquake hit.

Can anyone provide a link to a website that shows fault lines in the area?

I wonder why the Meteorological Department said it was in Burma. I felt it in Pattaya. For sure! I was up at 4:12 and felt a single bump or shudder. I've lived in California, and in Hawaii and have felt small episodes like this many times. If it was in Burma I doubt that I would have felt anything.

If you look around the USGS sites, they say the accuracy of their locations is around +/- 15 Kilometers or so. That would still keep it in the Gulf of Thailand.

Do you think there could be a reason that we would be told it was in Burma? Tourism? Failure to alert anyone about the possibility of a Tsunami? Or is it the superiority of the Thai Seismographic equipment that accounts for the disparity?

I agree with John K about the buildings here -- Scary! If there's one kind of building you can't build in SF, it's a brick building. The buildings in BKK would turn to rubble in seconds if a major trembler hit.

I've been looking for a long time for fault maps for SE Asia, but haven't found anything informative as yet.