Where to buy Subcutaneous Fluid supplies?

Misty

Does anyone know a pharmacy or clinic that sells supplies for administering subcutaneous fluids (NSS 1 liter saline solution bag, infusion hose, 18G or 20G needles) to animals, ideally in the Sukhumvit Asoke/Phrom Phong/Thonglor area (r at least accessible by BTS or MRT)?

Our adopted geriatric Thai street cat has been diagnosed with chronic renal failure (CRF). Our vet recommends that we administer subcutaneous fluids at home each day. The vet will sell us the needed supplies but at a substantial mark-up. Since we may be doing this for awhile, I'd like to find a reasonably-priced supplier if possible.

Thank you for any help!

I live up country. I buy all of my supplies at the local pharmacy in the small town near me. It might be easier if you get a large syringe, 50cc. You could inject some fluid all at once. It will create a large "lump" under the skin, and the body will absorb it slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

As wayned said you can get NSS at most chemists, and needles, if you can get Ringers lactated solution, it has a bit more in it than NSS, ,as it is going subcutaneous ,it would be better to use an infusion set, set very slow ,to avoid the lump under the skin ,if you put the line in ,high ,at the back of the shoulder ,any lumps can be massaged down ,it is going to take some time ,just hope the cat stays still long enough.

I pay 80 Bart for 1 lt of Ringers solution ,plus an infusion set ,but I would say it would be more expensive in bkk .

Good luck .

Unless this cat is passing urine and NOT drinking you you run the risk of overloading the animal with fluid.

Are you certain the vet advised administering fluid to a cat with chronic renal failure ?

Would not be best to allow nature to take its natural course ?

Archived