BIC and IBAN code for SWIFT transfer? (condo)

We are making a SWIFT transfer today to purchase a condo.

SWIFT Transfer from Ireland to my Krungsri BAY bank.

The SWIFT code is: AYUDTHBK.

The family member taking care of the SWIFT transfer from Ireland was told by the Irish bank they need the BIC and IBAN.

The BAY website says nothing of these and from reading on the net, I believe that the BIC code (Bank Identifier code) is the another name for the SWIFT Code, except that it has the 3 digits code for the bank branch. (332, for my branch), so presumably the BIC code would be AYUDTHBK332.

But Thailand doesn't use BIC, they just use the Swift code without the branch identifying digits.

And that the IBAN code (International Bank Account Number) can be used instead of the of the SWIFT/BIC code, and that Thailand doesn’t have IBAN codes for their banks.

The person transferring the funds from Ireland passed on that they were told they need the BIC and IBAN codes.

No one involved has done a SWIFT transfer before.

Please help if you have done one before from a country requiring BIC/IBAN codes to Thailand.

Thanks.

Yes, it does.

Thanks, great help. :)

"A BIC (Bank Identifier Code) is the SWIFT Address assigned to a bank in order to send automated payments quickly and accurately to the banks concerned. It uniquely identifies the name and country, (and sometimes the branch) of the bank involved. BICs are often called SWIFT Codes and can be either 8 or 11 characters long.
Bank of Ireland’s BIC is BOFIIE2D"
So the SWIFT code for my Bank Account is the 8 digit BIC code. AYUDTHBK
Thai banks don't use the 11 digit version which is the same code but with 3 digits added to specify the branch, Thai banks also have an IBAN.

Thai banks also have an IBAN.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/Pages/InwardFAQs.aspx

What is an IBAN?

IBAN stands for ‘International Bank Account Number’, a code offered to an individual or company in European countries only. Bangkok Bank doesn’t have IBAN and the remitter does not have to specify an IBAN in the payment instruction to Bangkok Bank. Remitters must specify Bangkok Bank’s SWIFT code: BKKBTHBK when sending funds to Thailand.

Its some years that I had done electronic transfer, things might have changed, but never been confronted with anything else than the SWIFT code.

Account number specified separately in the (electronic) forms.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I find that my incoming transfers always go the Thai bank's head office, from where they are redirected to the local branch after the forex is done. So the SWIFT address is just that of the head office. The branch address and account number form part of the details of the transfer.

That applies to TMB and Kasikorn and KrungSri.

I find that my incoming transfers always go the Thai bank's head office, from where they are redirected to the local branch after the forex is done. So the SWIFT address is just that of the head office. The branch address and account number form part of the details of the transfer.

That applies to TMB and Kasikorn and KrungSri.

And also BKK Bank, SCB and KTB (so I suspect that all Thai banks do it that way)

The funds were transfered yesterday morning Irish time, provincial city, they first need to go to Dublin (capital city), and the estimated arrival in Thailand on Friday. 5 working days.

Thanks for the help.

Good that you managed to work it out smile.png

But B... H.ll 5 working days. sad.png

Edited by MJCM

that's what they said to the remitter.

Maybe they give a wide time frame so it seems to arrive early if it happens to arrive in 3 days. :D

Provincial city to Dublin, to Bangkok (presumably without another bank in between) then to my branch.

Will be good if it arrives early, but not too bothered about the time frame.

that's what they said to the remitter.

Maybe they give a wide time frame so it seems to arrive early if it happens to arrive in 3 days. biggrin.png

Provincial city to Dublin, to Bangkok (presumably without another bank in between) then to my branch.

Will be good if it arrives early, but not too bothered about the time frame.

most banks have,economy 3-5days,next day and express 1-2hrs.

hope you sent it to thailand in euro's not baht.

and did you declare what it is for if not they can refuse it.

if you did ensure you get an international transfer certificate,just in case you sell up and want to take the proceeds out of thailand.

Usually not, but you could ask them.

I personally check via Internet Banking, or what you can do is activate SMS alerts on your account, usually you activate that via ATM or your branch.

Please note this SMS Service is usually NOT free of charge

Thanks.

I'm using my BAY Mee Tae Dai (or whatever it's called) savings account. As it is where I keep my Thai money (not daily cash account) I keep it with no internet or debit card, only ATM and bank book, for security.

Guess I will be checking the local BAY atm quite a lot this week. :D

Thanks.

Thanks, but just out of personal preference I like to keep that account as electronically free as possible. ATM (non debit card) and bank book both kept in separate safe locations being the only connection to the account. Works for me. A few runs to the ATM won't do me any harm. :D