American Woman Found in Chiang Mai Parking Lot, Suspected Suicide

webfact

American Woman Found in Parking Lot, Suspected Suicide

CityNews – A security guard discovered the body of an elderly foreign woman in the parking lot of Chiang Mai Riverside Condominium at around 5am on November 30.

The body was identified by police as 67-year-old Deborah Lynn Huwen from America. Police believe she committed suicide by jumping from her 7th storey condo.

Police examined her room and found the door locked and none of her items were stolen. There was no sign of a struggle.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/american-woman-found-in-parking-lot-suspected-suicide/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2015-11-30

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a tragic situation, but what is there not to believe? People become old, sick and elderly here in Chiang Mai quite frequently here.

If you're younger, this this something to think about when you make decisions that cut off your ties to your family and your home country. Some day you may be older, infirm, in need of medical care you can't afford and you may find that none of your family or former friends are interested in helping you.

I have no insider-knowledge of this poor woman's situation, but I've known many others like her.

May this lady RIP now that all her troubles are over. Looking at the picture, It somehow struck me that even in the event of taking her own life she was caring of other people's property by picking her spot and avoiding damaging the cars, (people would hardly have parked there before the body was removed). May God Bless and take care of her.

RIP...[emoji17]

It was reported she was going through some treatment at Chiang Mai Ram hospital. It's really sad to be old alone and go off like this. Can't help wondering will I be like this when I'm old and sick. [emoji20]

RIP...[emoji17]

It was reported she was going through some treatment at Chiang Mai Ram hospital. It's really sad to be old alone and go off like this. Can't help wondering will I be like this when I'm old and sick. [emoji20]

Maybe... many people do/will. Even if you have family and friends some people take control of what happens to them.

impulse:

You are so right about that. Step out onto the balcony to do something, trip and over the 24" railing you go.

I remember seeing a video of a newlywed siting on a railing on some high-rise condo/apt/hotel and it collapsed and down she went.

Edited by Nowisee

To Nancy L

She wouldn't let us be interested and she cut herself off from us about 18 months ago. I know she had a sister with whom she seemed to be in regular contact. When she moved to the condo we had the feeling she was saying 'goodbye'.

Dear Gillyflower.

I am so sorry for you, your family and of course the lady.

Do you really believe this was intentional?

I can't imagine this....I'm shaking my head in disbelief.

What could have cause this, and prevent this?

My first question when I read about a tragedy like this: How high was the balcony railing?

I suspect a lot of "suicides" are actually low railings that caught people unaware when they leaned on them.

I expect the railing height was around 1.2m .... but even higher ones can be climbed easily.

I feel sad that she may have got the condo to do this.

god bless her.

Often i suspect someone was pushed and the police are too lazy to investigate.... but this time I feel fairly certain this was self inflicted. As I'm not religious all I can offer is my thoughts and hopes for her family.

My first question when I read about a tragedy like this: How high was the balcony railing?

I suspect a lot of "suicides" are actually low railings that caught people unaware when they leaned on them.

I expect the railing height was around 1.2m .... but even higher ones can be climbed easily.

I feel sad that she may have got the condo to do this.

god bless her.

The wall on my BKK balcony is 0.9M high. I’ve seen several lower.

When I first moved into my place a few years back, a couple of birds were fighting on the balcony below mine. I leaned over to see what the commotion was, when suddenly I realized that my center of mass was way out over the wall. Had my feet slipped on a wet floor, I was going over.

Since then, I also noticed a lot of hotels I stayed in have low balcony walls and /or railings. Some of them have even had after-thought extenders added to make them higher, indicating the problem is real, and acknowledged by some.

Someone coming from the west, who is accustomed to higher (safer) balcony rails could easily lose their life if they did exactly the same things they’ve been doing all their lives. The balcony walls back home are built so it’s almost impossible to accidentally get my center of mass on the wrong side of the wall or rail. Not so here.

I was lucky. In my case, just leaning over to look down could have had a tragic result had my floor been slippery. It’s a lesson I learned without the tragedy. So I wonder how many “suicides” are actually caused by unsafe building practices.

Just out of curiosity (not current personal interest) is there an Asian country people can go to for legal medically assisted suicide, rather than so many people resorting to the crude methods so common here?

When one is diagnosed with incurable illnesses (such as dementia), do not want to be a burden to others and yet preserved with the last bit of dignity..

You loose connection to the source, you loose it all...To all Old People...Do meditation and Yoga.

No matter how good a person you were, helped everyone around but still you lost connection to the source.

Many in the west think, I'm a good guy, I play by the rules I should be fine NO Spirituality is different from being a good guy.

Yoga. keeps you centered and balanced. Praying to god, chanting his name won't work. You have to do KRIYA aka Spiritual Actions to feel better which is different from Good Actions.

Edited by starchild5

This is a tragic situation, but what is there not to believe? People become old, sick and elderly here in Chiang Mai quite frequently here.

If you're younger, this this something to think about when you make decisions that cut off your ties to your family and your home country. Some day you may be older, infirm, in need of medical care you can't afford and you may find that none of your family or former friends are interested in helping you.

I have no insider-knowledge of this poor woman's situation, but I've known many others like her.

While I don't know the full story, I live in the same condo.

Possibly she had been diagnosed with an illness which only gave her a painful, lingering death to look forward to. If so, choosing to end it quickly was brave.

I really do wonder why people condemn suicide, when we are quite happy to give our pets a merciful death rather than see them suffer.

Too many religious ratbags in this world.

Maybe another oddity...... don't know if anyone has picked it up...... but on this foum and only on the front page..... there are three threads regarding different suicides. I sure hope it is not the start of a trend.

To this lady, I hope you are now surrounded by peace and comfort. I also wish I could have met you and just chatted a bit. Maybe, maybe, just maybe....... Somehow with you it is different and I feel the sadness a lot more..... RIP

While I don't know the full story, I live in the same condo.

Possibly she had been diagnosed with an illness which only gave her a painful, lingering death to look forward to. If so, choosing to end it quickly was brave.

I really do wonder why people condemn suicide, when we are quite happy to give our pets a merciful death rather than see them suffer.

Too many religious ratbags in this world.

" If so, choosing to end it quickly was brave."

So very true, thumbsup.gif

You loose connection to the source, you loose it all...To all Old People...Do meditation and Yoga.

No matter how good a person you were, helped everyone around but still you lost connection to the source.

Many in the west think, I'm a good guy, I play by the rules I should be fine NO Spirituality is different from being a good guy.

Yoga. keeps you centered and balanced. Praying to god, chanting his name won't work. You have to do KRIYA aka Spiritual Actions to feel better which is different from Good Actions.

Total nonsense, both yoga and the praying thing.

Edited by Alration