Transfer of stamps to new passport - need certificate from embassy.

I recently received a new passport from the Canadian Embassy here in BKK. I went out to Chaeng Wattana today to transfer the stamps to the new passport.

I was told that my documentation was incomplete; I need to have a certificate from the Embassy.

I'm kinda chapped that the Canadian Embassy didn't tell me anything about this when I collected the new passport, but oh well..... tomorrow morning I will schlep back to the Embassy to enquire / obtain this certificate, then back to Chaeng Wattana,

My question is... does anyone know what this certificate is? What do I ask for at the Embassy? (The immigration officer at CW was rather curt at saying "certificate from embassy" and pointing to it on the list of documentation on the back of the form I had to fill out.)

Any costs involved to get said certificate, or any documentation that I should take?

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable answers.

Edited by bino

My Immigration Office did it for me without the letter. Its just more paperwork which they seem to like to deal with. When I asked why it was required I was told that the letter would be confirmation that the new passport was genuinne and for me. I told them that no one at the UK Embassy knows me so how can they confirm what you are asking? I the got it done on the spot, but I expect when my next renewal comes up it may not be so simple.

What makes it even dafter is that I have been dealing with girls there for I think 5 years, so they know who I am and were perfectly willing to accept my old passport 2 months prior and I presented both new and old passports when I returned, all yhey had to do was transfer the details from the old to the new, which is what they did.

Edited by nong38

I do not believe the Canadian Embassy will do a letter.

I think you will find a note inside the new passport with detail of the previous passport.

If you draw attention to this note immigration will move the stamps but my need a photocopy of the note in the passport.

• Like 1

My Immigration Office did it for me without the letter. Its just more paperwork which they seem to like to deal with. When I asked why it was required I was told that the letter would be confirmation that the new passport was genuinne and for me. I told them that no one at the UK Embassy knows me so how can they confirm what you are asking? I the got it done on the spot, but I expect when my next renewal comes up it may not be so simple.

What makes it even dafter is that I have been dealing with girls there for I think 5 years, so they know who I am and were perfectly willing to accept my old passport 2 months prior and I presented both new and old passports when I returned, all yhey had to do was transfer the details from the old to the new, which is what they did.

Assuming that you last renewed your passport relatively recently, didn't the With-It Tower Mob hand you a note explaining how you could go about obtaining the necessary Embassy letter when you picked up your new passport?

I do not believe the Canadian Embassy will do a letter.

I think you will find a note inside the new passport with detail of the previous passport.

If you draw attention to this note immigration will move the stamps but my need a photocopy of the note in the passport.

This proved to be the correct answer.

I went down to the Canadian Embassy this morning, and they showed me where they had stamped my old passport with a big stamp that said "This passport has been superseded by Canadian Passport number XXXXX ... blah blah blah".

Went back to Chaeng Wattana after that, and they once again demanded a certificate from the Embassy. I showed them the stamp in my passport, which resulted in lots of head scratching and strange facial expressions, and them eventually taking my passport somewhere to ask someone, but it worked out and I got it done.

Edited by bino

A question from one of your fellow Canadians. I renewed my passport last March, my fourth such renewal at the Cdn. Embassy in Bangkok. Thai Immigration did not ask me for a letter authenticating my passport that time, nor had they done so on any of the previous occasions. I have just examined my old passport, and don't see any stamp of the type you indicated. Where in the passport do they put it ?

Thailand immigration never made any mention of it before, this is my 3rd passport from Canadian Embassy in BKK. Maybe they were just being overly efficient (officious) because there was an "immigration trainee" in a goofy vest working there yesterday and today.

They put the stamp on page three- "Observations" - right above my picture and passport info. Just looked back through my old passports and they all have a stamp like this in them, even the really old ones issued in Canada.

You are right, I also have a faint stamp, in small print, on page 3, which I had never noticed before.. In my case, I don't think Immigration saw it, and they didn't ask for a letter. This last time, I was in the Amnat Charoen office, where I think they would see relatively few Cdn. passports. My three previous renewals were all done when I lived in Bangkok.

You are right, I also have a faint stamp, in small print, on page 3, which I had never noticed before.. In my case, I don't think Immigration saw it, and they didn't ask for a letter. This last time, I was in the Amnat Charoen office, where I think they would see relatively few Cdn. passports. My three previous renewals were all done when I lived in Bangkok.

21 days, exactly as it says on the website. They gave me the date / time on the receipt for pick-up.

However, the passport date is only about 4 days after I applied, so I suspect that it was actually back here a lot earlier.