best condo in Pattaya?

Digitalnomade

I think that the best condo buildings will generally be older ones. Probably built at least 10 years ago, maybe 20 or more.

If you are asking which is the best off-plan condo or developer, that's another question entirely and I dont feel competent to compare the smelliness of many types of turds.

No building codes here.

All would be classed as uninhabitable in the UK.

Electrical systems and wiring are a shambles. Plumbing is all blue plastic pipe and glue.

Lots of the new builds close to the beaches have serious settling cracks.

Most are overpriced and by no stretch of the imagination an "investment".

My Garage in the UK has greater floor space than the pigeon coops in a lot of new builds.

Building mangement companies can be hopeless to barely useful. Security is a joke at best.

These are my personal views having lived in 4 different condos and viewed dozens. If others live in Shangri La or Nirvana and see it all through rose tinted specs - up to them. I tell it as it is...

There are a few older Condo buildings in Wong Amat, Park Beach Condo, Silver Beach Condo, Garden Beach Condo, Sky Beach Condo, not the cheapest around although Garden Beach Condo has units that are well priced, but they all have good locations.

I agree the older Condo buildings seem to have more space, more car parking, underground and overground parking, good security etc.

And in most cases, it's cooler than being in town with a good sea breeze.

Edited by Broken Record

I stay at Northshore on Soi 5 Pattaya Beach rd. Although I think it is overpriced I can not fault the management, service, reception and security. Foreign management makes a world of difference. There are a number of ignorant and ill informed responses to your post. There are some good condos around if you're not picky with the price. I've been in Northshore for almost 3 years and while I keep thinking to move out to somewhere with better value (but further out) I always just renew my lease. Drop in and have a look. Powerwave Real Estate have an office at the front gate and can show you some rooms. There is also a notice board with available rooms next to the elevators.

If you are sensitive to noise , the best condos are the old ones. Why ? They used good building materials back then, thick, solid walls will keep the noise out. After the condo boom 10 years ago the developers wanted to make quick money and started using cheaper material. They may look good and luxurious from the outside , but try living there , I did and had to move out within a year.

Edited by balo

I certainly would go for a older one...

Depends on what the OP is looking for but as he likes VT2 has he looked at JBC?

OK, I sold up there 3 years ago but still would buy back in if I was looking for somewhere in the Pattaya area, best are buildings S1 or S2, these are the buildings on the beach side of Jomtien 2nd Road, slightly bigger than those on the other side with a better view for the same maintenance charges.

I think it depends on one's desired location and budget. For example, if Central Pattaya is where you want to live, Northshore is certainly a nice condo if you have a large budget. If your budget is smaller, the new Centric Sea offers nice amenities and a good location across from Hard Rock Hotel.

View Talay 2 has no water pressure on all the upper floors. Not enough to take a shower or operate an instant water heater. Body Corporate knows about the problem but are not interested to fix it. So keep your fingers off that one.

I live at Laguna Bay 1 and can tell you my particular condo is the best

equipped, well furnished suite I've ever occupied but ................

the building is located on, possibly, the shabbiest Soi in all of Pratnumak

& unless you have your own transportation is quite remote. The area, oft

described as " The Beverly Hills " of Pattaya has no big box stores, cinemaslocal Doctors and no fast food ! There are many very nice buildings here butthose owners/builders/developers don't seem to care about surrounding,

undesireable sights. In developed countries, developers have been known to

even buy neighboring properties just to clean them up but, not here.

Edited by fred Kubasa

View Talay 2 has no water pressure on all the upper floors. Not enough to take a shower or operate an instant water heater. Body Corporate knows about the problem but are not interested to fix it. So keep your fingers off that one.

A or B building? I know someone who lives on the top floor there and he seems to be able to shower normally.

I've lived in 6 condo's in Pattaya and my personal favourite was Nirun, the one at the back looking towards 3rd Rd.

It was certainly the quietest. I also liked VT6 for the views over the bay.

Hi londoedan.

One of my 1st condos I stayed in was Nirun. (only on holiday not living here) and I was more than happy. People say it resembles a prison with the buildings placed like wings, and the iron gates on the external doors.

That said, I felt secure there as they have security at the exit/entrance with barriers and keycard entry into your block.

I was on the 1st floor and was sometimes annoyed by a yapping shitzhu from time to time opposite and owned by Thais so if I went back I would hope to be a bit higher up to lessen the small amount of noise from soi level.

After 2 months I decided I was tired of being confronted by angry soi dogs whichever way I decided to walk through from 3rd rd. I left and since, I have not been as happy anywhere else. I paid 9000 for my last room in Chitra opposite Dominos just off 3rd rd and that was good enough. But Nirun has everything you need literally on your doorstep. Laundry, Pharmacie, food, taxi, BigC and a few bars. I paid 6500 at Nirun and next time I come there I will be renting there again.

Its all about finding the right individual balance. For me, I like somewhere not right in the middle of the action but not too far out as I do not have a motorbike, reasonably quiet and reasonably priced. I dont see the point at throwing 25000+ baht a month for somewhere you really only sleep in (as long as it's not a dump) but if one can afford that and maybe spends a good length of time indoors then fair enough.

Last point/question - the wifi was really bad as the guy who rented the condo to me said I could connect from a router from the opposite building . . .

Is it possible to subscribe to my own wifi and have it installed into my condo, should the time come when I may purchase one?

Cheers

A or B building? I know someone who lives on the top floor there and he seems to be able to shower normally.

Typical water supply to high rise buildings is city water feeding a basement storage tank, water is then pumped up to a rooftop tank, the the supply is then gravity fed down to the various floors, pressure reducing valves are usually fitted about every 4 to 5 floors, this is to maintain an ideal water pressure at about 2 bar throughout the building. Fitting galvanized pipe in the older building was the norm, over the years the bore becomes restricted due to corrosion and sludge, this is the main reason for low water pressure in older condos. The problem can be fixed by firstly cleaning both lower and upper tanks of sludge, then replace all the old pipework with HDPE, the pressure reducing valves should should also also be changed from the old "Drop Valves" to adjustable ones that show a pressure gauge. This will fix the common area pressure to the stop vales in individual units, however if the original pipework has not been changed in these units water pressure will still be a problem, a lot of folks here, renovate their units but fail to change the old galvanized pipework that is chased into the walls.

Because of constant comings and goings on the job front I had numereous short term periods and some long term periods in condos in Jomtien.

VT1a VT1b VT2b and VT5c. I also stayed in serviced apartments.

Top floors of 2B water pressure is hopeless. My owner bought 3 pumps that all failed within a year. Friend of mine had a leak down into the floor below and he has changed pumps several times.

Another consideration is electric and water bills. In 2B in 5 years i never had a bill under 1,000 baht for electric and I have moved to a brand new building. I am not telling anyone which it is ! ..... but my electric bill was under 600 for the month. Water was never less than 250 and now I pay 140....what does that tell you .....

1A and 1B have nice rooms but the buildings are getting past it. 5C The one nearer the beach had settling cracks so wide you can shakes hands with your neighbour through them. I bailed out of there for two reasons - at the time lots of noise with construction work and there was a terrible smell of raw sewage near the pool.

I checked out VT7 and 8 - rental prices were way way too high. Seven has a whole wing / tower that cannot be occupied - but i have never got to the bottom of that ? Worst I heard is that it is falling away from the other 2 !! Not sure if thats true .... But TiT.

VT8 was / is overpriced and is basically still deserted - 2 floors are run as a hotel for Russian tour groups to re-coup losses on lack of sales.

So, as mentioned before on this thread ...there you have some more ill informed and ignorant comments to gelan through...... damn I really should get a pair of new rose tinted specs ? life in La La land will be so much better than being in Kansas won't it Toto.....!!!

I've lived in 6 condo's in Pattaya and my personal favourite was Nirun, the one at the back looking towards 3rd Rd.

OH dear tell me you don't have a condo for sale in Nirun. I also stayed there. Not for long though.

Den

I like view talay 2.

If you like VT2, try 5 across the road, or even 6 in town.

Best is very subjective, simply location is a prime factor.

View Talay 7 has a 10% discount on unsold units, I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't apply to all the unsold units in vt5,vt6, etc.

OH dear tell me you don't have a condo for sale in Nirun. I also stayed there. Not for long though.

Den

Nope, nothing for sale. I rented for a year there and hardly had a disturbed nights sleep.For me thats important and judging by the thread re Jomtien night-time noise levels over the last year, other residents like a good nights sleep too.

The lift never broke down, water didn't go off and the leccy was cheap. Handy for the shops and not too far from the bars.