US Marine found guilty of killing transgender Filipino

webfact

US Marine found guilty of killing transgender Filipino
By JIM GOMEZ and TERESA CEROJANO

OLONGAPO, Philippines (AP) — A Philippine court on Tuesday convicted a U.S. Marine of killing a Filipino last year after he discovered she was a transgender woman in a hotel in the Philippines while he was on a break after participating in joint military exercises in the country.

Lance Corporal Joseph Scott Pemberton was convicted of homicide by first strangling Jennifer Laude and then dunking her head into a toilet bowl in the hotel they had checked into after meeting in a disco bar in Olongapo city, northwest of Manila. He was sentenced to 6-12 years in jail, with time spent in detention credited, said court clerk Gerry Gruspe.

Laude's mother, Julita, said that while she was happy the verdict detailed everything that had transpired, she was not pleased with the jail term because she had hoped Penderton would be found guilty of murder, a graver crime.

"But the important thing is he will be jailed," she said. "My son's life is not wasted."

Outside the courthouse, a small number of left-wing activists rejoiced but warned that they would closely watch to ensure Pemberton is detained in a Philippine jail, as the judge ordered.

The Oct. 11, 2014, killing had sparked anger in the Philippines and reignited calls by left-wing groups and nationalists for an end to America's military presence in the country at a time when the U.S. is reasserting its dominance in Asia and Manila has turned to Washington for support amid an escalating territorial dispute with China.

Pemberton, an anti-tank missile operator from New Bedford, Massachusetts, was one of thousands of American and Philippine military personnel who participated in a joint exercise last year. He and a group of other Marines were on leave after the exercise and met Laude and her friends at a bar in Olongapo, a city known for its nightlife located outside Subic Bay, a former U.S. Naval base. At least two witnesses testified that Laude was a sex worker.

Pemberton and Laude left the bar and checked in together at a nearby hotel. About 30 minutes later, Pemberton walked out, leaving the room's door ajar, according to hotel staff.

Pemberton testified in August that he choked Laude during a fight that erupted when he discovered she was a transgender woman, but said she was still alive when he left her in a shower, according to his lawyer, Rowena Garcia Flores.

Lawyers of the Laude family, however, said Laude was dead when Pemberton left her. Police have said that Laude had apparently been drowned in a toilet.

In the decision, Regional Trial Court Judge Roline Ginez-Jabalde ordered Pemberton jailed at the New Bilibid Prison, a national penitentiary in suburban Muntinlupa City.

The case also revived a debate over which government should have custody of U.S. military personnel who run afoul of local laws under a Visiting Forces Agreement the two allies signed in 1998.

The agreement, which allows U.S. forces to conduct military exercises in the Philippines, says the Philippines can prosecute American service members, but that the U.S. has custody over them "from the commission of the offense until completion of all judicial proceedings."

However, the Philippine Supreme Court ruled in 2009 that convicted U.S. personnel must serve their sentences in the Philippines.

In a compromise last year, the U.S. agreed to have Pemberton detained in a compound at Philippine military headquarters in Quezon City guarded by U.S. Marines with an outer ring of Filipino forces.

Left-wing activists and nationalist Filipinos have cited the custody provision as proof that the accord was lopsided in favor of the U.S. and undermines the sovereignty of the Philippines, which was an American colony until 1946.
___

Cerojano reported from Manila.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-01

If I found a sausage instead of a taco, I would leave without paying. I don't understand why these guys have to get violent.

What would this murderer have done in a restaurant if he had been served pork instead of chicken? Murder the chef or send the plate back?

The guy deserves to spend time, and spend time in the local prison, not some cushy US base.

First tour to Asia? I want to do rewrite of Elvis song:

"She walks like an angel.... she talks like an angel...... she smiles like an angel..... but I got wise

Something hanging twixt her thighs..... oh yes there is....."

The Kinks, "Lola" is much more appropriate.

Well I left home just a week before

And I'd never ever kissed a woman before

But Lola smiled and took me by the hand

And said dear boy I'm gonna make you a man

Well I'm not the world's most masculine man

But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man

And so is Lola

Seems like a risky business mixing with anyone looking feminine in LOS and they can be sooo beautiful.

How are they hiding the Adam's apple that he didn't see one?

Too pre-occupied looking elsewhere?

There was a basic rule :- "Where there's an apple there is usually a banana".

Two lives directly stuffed up now, plus the relatives.

Sad.

Edited by Jing Joe

If I found a sausage instead of a taco, I would leave without paying. I don't understand why these guys have to get violent.

What would this murderer have done in a restaurant if he had been served pork instead of chicken? Murder the chef or send the plate back?

The guy deserves to spend time, and spend time in the local prison, not some cushy US base.

Agreed. These guys drink too much in their free time, and some drunks are nasty drunks.

He was 18 and maybe even a virgin. Think of how that would hit a young guy. Its a lot different when you are even over 25

Anyway what the ladyboy did should be a crime. Selling yourself as not what you are and causing huge mental strain on someone

Happy to see the guy get a short sentence.

The military knows it is often a home for people at the lowest ranks who otherwise might be, lets say, a bit wild if in civvy street.

The officer ranks and NCOs usually maintain a tight regimented control - obviously. The risk is during the R&R, off base, off ship.

I wonder if they provide briefings before going R&R for the first time in a new land. Like a military version of a tourist guide briefing session, on things to do and things to be aware of. "After taking in the culture, perhaps some meditation at the temple, go and get ba%#ed and bl*&ed by a local, but watch out for a surprise and a disease or two."

Might help to cut out this kind of criminal act.

Not making excuses for the murder!! - I just wonder if the military does any kind of briefing.

Not making excuses for the murder!! - I just wonder if the military does any kind of briefing.

When I was stationed at Utapao they did a briefing and gave you a wallet size card of the does and donts while in Thailand. However I don't think it covered fraternizing with the 'locals' except for the awful STD videos.

He was 18 and maybe even a virgin. Think of how that would hit a young guy. Its a lot different when you are even over 25

Anyway what the ladyboy did should be a crime. Selling yourself as not what you are and causing huge mental strain on someone

You have no idea how the ladyboy represented himself, the guy is dead and his story wasn't told.

There's only one good thing in your post, and that is conceding that it's a short sentence for MURDER.

All the rest is disgustingly making excuses for murder and blaming the victim.

"Anyway what the ladyboy did should be a crime. Selling yourself as not what you are and causing huge mental strain on someone"

While I dont believe the victim deserved to pay with his life, there is no doubt he bares a lot of responsibility for what happened. It was reported at the time that a LB friend of the victim urged him to tell the marine that he was a LB. He refused and the friend was so concerned that he left the disco. Although this took place in the Philippines I am sure the same scenario of non disclosure is repeated many times a day in Pattaya.

Bull ShxT,In his home state he would have gotten 20 and up.No matter the reason ,when you beat a person to death ,it is MURDER.

Bwaaah...the tough young Marine could face down Sunnis at Faluja and Isis in the Levant but the sight of a penis was just more than he could take. To go with his short sentence, I hope he comes out of prison with such a stretched rear-end he'll never be able to pinch a loaf again in his life!

I no longer read ThaiVisa for news or information, but instead for the rampant mental pathology displayed on nearly every topic. It's a lot like a train wreck, hard not to watch, but followed by a nausea that's hard to shake.

People blaming the victim, justifying the murdering scum's actions, people wishing violence in jail, all incredibly sick, if different sides of the same coin. And most of the harsh talkers would piss their own pants if confronted by the slightest danger.

Pathetic, disgusting bunch, really.

Bwaaah...the tough young Marine could face down Sunnis at Faluja and Isis in the Levant but the sight of a penis was just more than he could take. To go with his short sentence, I hope he comes out of prison with such a stretched rear-end he'll never be able to pinch a loaf again in his life!

The way this usually works is the marine will have money to buy his way into a cushy cell away from anyone.