TM28/TM30 avoiding fines if on extensions.

LivinLOS

I am motivated by self interest ...as in, I am not married, I rent a condo... what about me? .... I did enjoy the staff descriptions though, sometimes the obsurdest comedy available at Imm. lessens the pain of being there.

The way they say it EVERYONE must now be doing a TM28 (with it having a matched TM30).. But from todays talking it would seem the enforcement of this happens with 90 day reports, any extension, 90 day language EDs especially mentioned multiple times and other immigration interaction. Jomtien posters reporting that they got fined when they asked for a residency letter from driving license and no TM28 done prior.

If your just on visa runs, visa exempt entries, tourist visas, or multiple entry non imms I dont see how this fining will be enforced. Perhaps adding 30 days to your 60 ??

But the way they have all new paperwork fresh printed to justify the fines.. The way she made it like how nice to be forgiven.. I am betting TM28 fines are going to start happening. But its a mess of a system in design from todays information.

15 years here and todays the first time I ever did one.. I will not pay fines for new enforced stuff backdated, simply a money grab and you dont beat me..

Forgot from the OP too.. she confirmed a yellow house book address verification does not have any bearing on your TM28 address reporting.

The whole thing does not make sense. Why did you have the old 90 days report after reentry? This is given back when leaving the country. You get a new arrival card when you come back in and that's required for subsequent 90 day reports. So looks like something went completely wrong and you threw them out of their script.

The whole thing does not make sense. Why did you have the old 90 days report after reentry? This is given back when leaving the country. You get a new arrival card when you come back in and that's required for subsequent 90 day reports. So looks like something went completely wrong and you threw them out of their script.

1 TM28 is nothing to do with TM47 90 day reporting.. Its another layer they have dreamed up or rather started to enforce.

2 I have never had a 90 day report paper removed from my passport on leaving the country.. they have always left it in and I always sent it with my next postal report, despite being expired, it never caused an issue as the stamps showed a new entry. I was told to always send the old one in the past but guessed it was sort of not needed.

TM28 is a new reporting.. and its my feeling they are going to be handing out fines.. the whole landlord coming with you is just dumb and I refuse to play. To be honest the 90 day report thing confused no one except the old boy at that stage. the TM28 is the crucial part and she was very much trying to make it late / my fault / due a fine.

Yeah, weird, not surprising though really. In BKK they collect the 90 days report, last time in CNX too. But I usually fly from BKK and use domestic down there. Never went in person for 90 days in CNX, always by mail, never had an issue.

The foreigner's report used to in the same building at the old airport road location where 90 day reports were done, just to the left when driving in. The report, as has been mentioned, is not new. Only enforcement may be new. All reports in that office were very fast.

Some people I was aware of moved to Chiang Mai from other parts of Thailand and the world. They complained - it has been all downhill since then, in my opinion.

I've been reading all the many threads about these TM's, and I am none the wiser.

TM 30 is for reporting the foreigner's address.

It is the responsibility of the hotel, the condo manager, the house owner (could be the wife) or the foreigner that owns a condo.

However some %#@&{ try to put the responsibility in the shoes of the foreigner.

Correct?

And then there is the TM 28.

On top of the TM 30?

Same thing, but this time to be submitted by the foreigner?

Recently we came back to Thailand.

After 2 weeks we decided to do a TM 30.

(I stay in my own house, legally of course my wife's house)

No problem with 2 weeks (in stead of 24 hours) and no mentioning of TM 28.

• Like 1

Jesus there is a lot of hot air here. If you don't, or the house owner does not fill in the forms as required there will be problems. Immigration is tightening up on what was a badly managed situation. We are living in a country ruled by a military dictatorship that will impose the rules. Get used to it. My house owner did not bother to follow the rules and got fined. Why should I care?

After spending only half an hour heres my best guesses at a moving target..

I've been reading all the many threads about these TM's, and I am none the wiser.

TM 30 is for reporting the foreigner's address.
It is the responsibility of the hotel, the condo manager, the house owner (could be the wife) or the foreigner that owns a condo.
However some %#@&{ try to put the responsibility in the shoes of the foreigner.
Correct?

Yes correct.. Its the landlords requirement but they appear to be fining farang wives, as a kind of nominee householder representitive.. As a way to force the farang to drag the landlord in and make them do it..

And then there is the TM 28.
On top of the TM 30?
Same thing, but this time to be submitted by the foreigner?

Yes and clearly according to old but unenforced laws.. this IS our responsibility..

Recently we came back to Thailand.
After 2 weeks we decided to do a TM 30.
(I stay in my own house, legally of course my wife's house)
No problem with 2 weeks (in stead of 24 hours) and no mentioning of TM 28.

Just do what I did.. Say you have been away travelling in Thailand and just come home.. In the last 24h need to do it.. Its not like they can prove you wrong.

Anyone is welcome to scoff, to ignore it, maybe it wont be enforced or the grace period will work, or it gets dropped, or whatever.. But personally I hate getting stung for things I feel are morally not fair, making up a new system and then without telling anyone retrospectively asking for fines, while they dont really know how they want to do it anyway.. It comes under trickery to me.. Its not the 2k fine, its the fact that by paying that fine I would feel cheated and it would annoy me far more than the small cost. I understand others are different and that they would rather just go along with it than the complexity of complying. Honestly if she was a problem today I would drive to the border at a far higher cost and waste of time, to reset my clock, simply as I will not pay a fine at my 90 day while complying with every lame idea they dream up.

Plus I like to understand how they work, or what they are trying to work.

• Like 1

Yes.. We just submitted my TM30 using their ancient computer system that will only work properly with a prehistoric version of Internet Explorer.

But this is the first I hear of a TM28 form. I looked it up and it seems a change of address form. I get the feeling that the OP needlessly over-complicated everthing with stories of two addresses he lives at.

I think normally the hotel or condo or landlord of the place you stay at fills in their TM30 (their requirement) and that's it?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Jesus there is a lot of hot air here. If you don't, or the house owner does not fill in the forms as required there will be problems. Immigration is tightening up on what was a badly managed situation. We are living in a country ruled by a military dictatorship that will impose the rules. Get used to it. My house owner did not bother to follow the rules and got fined. Why should I care?

QUOTE >>>>> Why should I care? <<<<<

I am not saying that you should care.

You were lucky that they fined your house owner.

That is how it should be, not your problem.

In a different thread there was however a report of the renter being fined.

And there is the TM 28.

Of course many expats have no choice: they burned their bridges.

As Jingthing advises: in life you have to bend, carry vaseline.

But Thailand may lose the ones that do have a choice!

• Like 1

Yes.. We just submitted my TM30 using their ancient computer system that will only work properly with a prehistoric version of Internet Explorer.

But this is the first I hear of a TM28 form. Where does one get that and fill it in?

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm28.doc

It says you can do at the local police.

So in order to comply, I am going to visit the wife's folks in Baan Nork for the Father's day weekend. There is no immigration office within 200km. I have to get her Dad to come with me to the local police, who will be drowning in Lao Kao, to report me as staying with him for a few days using TM30, and I need to report my change of address using TM28, within 48hrs of arrival.

On returning home to my wife's house, my wife needs to report my arrival, and I need to report my change of address within 48hrs to the local police here as there is no immigration office in my local area.

As long as I can get the police to do their jobs, all is good, right? I'll have the appropriate slips, and I'll have a few shots of Lao Khao with the police in Baan Nork.

But this is the first I hear of a TM28 form. I looked it up and it seems a change of address form. I get the feeling that the OP needlessly over-complicated everthing with stories of two addresses he lives at.

I think normally the hotel or condo or landlord of the place you stay at fills in their TM30 (their requirement) and that's it?

To preface with the 'who really knows'... and say again, theres no wrong answers just many variable officers versions of it..

But doing your 90 day report online is not the same (isnt a TM47 ??) and a different system from the old but new enforcement of TM28/30..

I dont think I over complicated it.. The 2 addresses only came up when I was trying to justify not being fined for coming in in 24 hours (her leniency in 'allowing' me to report late on this new set of rules not withstanding) after my new lease started.. The 'well I have 2 leases but I wasnt 'in' that one' excuse..

The guy I heard this from last week was doing his 90 days.. and is on extensions in the same house for years.. They still fined (his wife) on his most recent 90 day report.. I dont know him well and dont know if his rental house is in his wifes name, which would make a strange kind of sense, I only know he got fined and so I went to hear it direct before my 90 day.

Edited by LivinLOS

But this is the first I hear of a TM28 form. Where does one get that and fill it in?

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm28.doc

It says you can do at the local police.

So in order to comply, I am going to visit the wife's folks in Baan Nork for the Father's day weekend. There is no immigration office within 200km. I have to get her Dad to come with me to the local police, who will be drowning in Lao Kao, to report me as staying with him for a few days using TM30, and I need to report my change of address using TM28, within 48hrs of arrival.

On returning home to my wife's house, my wife needs to report my arrival, and I need to report my change of address within 48hrs to the local police here as there is no immigration office in my local area.

As long as I can get the police to do their jobs, all is good, right? I'll have the appropriate slips, and I'll have a few shots of Lao Khao with the police in Baan Nork.

Hence my posting in (far too much perhaps) detail on why this is, as was explained today, totally unworkable.

Edited by LivinLOS

There are no rules. Just experience. Different places, different s*it happens.

Sadly very often the same office before or after lunch have a different idea of the rules..

I have been hearing of this for a few months but only now know anyone fined.. And would have a childish dummy spit if it was me.. One of my less mature traits.. Publish a rule I will comply, make one up later and I will not..

• Like 1

BTW found this in my papers... I tend to think they are not going to the bother of printing this kind of new paperwork up, if they dont want to use it to 'justify' an old law being reintroduced.. Note the incorrect date emphasized in red at the top of the (thai) page..

This is what I mean about the front desk didnt know, but the 90 day guy sure as hell was looking for it, and the back office seemed ready for the argument.. My gut says they are preparing this..

post-9246-0-07208300-1448980917_thumb.jp

post-9246-0-59262900-1448980921_thumb.jp

post-9246-0-29718000-1448980929_thumb.jp

OK so..

I dont think they are bothering to get things like this printed and ready, if they dont intend a drive of enforcement and fines to go hand in hand with it !!!

Feel free to ignore.. But my gut says they dont do this without a reason.

EDIT :: the obvious assumption is this was apparently told to immigration to 'solve' in sept.. straight after the august bangkok bombing.. And now the junta want to know where all non Thais are at all times ?? with a 24 hour window.. Seems to fit the timeline no ??

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1