TM28/TM30 avoiding fines if on extensions.

LivinLOS

According to what I was told by the supervisor at Imm. Prom, (and also the juristic person mgr in my condo, which does reporting for residents) you do not have to refile when you've traveled within the country -- only when you leave the country and re-enter.

Yes, I know it doesn't make much sense, esp. if you stay at the hotel where they file a TM30 for you, but oh well.

Well, yeah, it does make sense.

When you re-enter the country you get a new arrival card. The arrival card number is a key index for your records and is most likely what is looked up to see if you have current TM28 and TM30 reports in the system.

• Like 1

According to what I was told by the supervisor at Imm. Prom, (and also the juristic person mgr in my condo, which does reporting for residents) you do not have to refile when you've traveled within the country -- only when you leave the country and re-enter.

Yes, I know it doesn't make much sense, esp. if you stay at the hotel where they file a TM30 for you, but oh well.

My wife and I were told the same thing, although I am not positive about having to file when reentering Thailand although that would make sense, at the Investigations office at the location on the road to the airport.

We were also told that my wife could file the TM30 online. I asked how and the best answer I could understand was that there is a url for filing - Winnie is aware of that I believe. We were almost done and I did not feel like hanging around longer and it wasn't a necessity for me at the time, so we just left. I believe one has to register to use the online filing. If we ever need to do that, I will go to the Investigations office and ask them. There were very nice, efficient, and issued receipts.

When you re-enter the country you get a new arrival card. The arrival card number is a key index for your records and is most likely what is looked up to see if you have current TM28 and TM30 reports in the system.

Bingo! and duh!

When you arrive in Thailand you hand in an arrivals card on which you have written the address that you intend to stay at. If this is a hotel/guesthouse etc then THEY are responsible for submitting a TM30. If this is a private residence ( of a friend/ girlfriend/wife/ family member etc) the owner of the house has the responsibility of submitting the TM30. This TM30 should match up with the address that you provided on the arrivals card.

My question is this .................................if after staying in one hotel in say Bangkok for 4 days, you then travel to Samui for a further 4 days, your hotel in Samui should submit a new TM30.............................BUT are you ALSO required to submit a TM28 to advise that you have changed your address from that provided on the arrivals card.OR does the second ( and any further subsequent TM30's) do this.

I can understand that if for example you stay in a hotel ( who submit the TM30) and then subsequently lease a condo then you need to submit a TM28 to advise this change of long term address.

And what does that do?

My wife did the TM30 again when I did my extension early July and then we went to Laos, a few weeks later I did the 90 day online without a problem.

• 2 years later...

I got fined 1600 B.

My wife spoke about the address form with the lady at the desk in Thai on the 2nd floor at Promenada and then, unbeknownst to me, I was asked to give the money. I thought this was some kind of processing fee. I would have raised a stink, but I did not know it was fine or this new procedure. Since I had to go there for a 5 yr driver's licence renewal, I also felt that I prefer to get the dr. lic. and then try to get the money back later. 1 step backward and 5 forward. However, since I got a receipt, I think I might be wasting my time. I should add that my wife is so afraid of these people as she has been trained to submit for decades (it start in school with the teachers I believe). 

Of course, the border O. did not mention anything and has not done so for years I have done the visa runs.  I am sure it is written on one of those many boards they have there and in terrible English of course (so that people dismiss or misunderstand the instruction).

These guys are worse than the mafia. I go out of Thailand for 10 min. and I am treated like a criminal. Surely, surely, there is a better way. 

48 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

These guys are worse than the mafia. I go out of Thailand for 10 min. and I am treated like a criminal. Surely, surely, there is a better way. 

There certainly could be a better way.  But not with Chiang Mai Immigration. 

52 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

I go out of Thailand for 10 min. and I am treated like a criminal. Surely, surely, there is a better way. 

There is. Understand the rules and comply. Failure to do so results in a fine of 1,600baht I believe.

Edited by Mahseer
  • Like 1

As you can tell from this two year old thread, it's pretty well known in Chiang Mai that you have to have an up-to-date TM 30.  Have you been living under a rock?

Depending on your country you could have gone to your Embassy or Consulate to get a Cert. of Res. and it would have been cheaper than paying the 1600 baht fine.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2015 at 6:03 PM, MadMac said:

The whole thing does not make sense. Why did you have the old 90 days report after reentry? This is given back when leaving the country. You get a new arrival card when you come back in and that's required for subsequent 90 day reports. So looks like something went completely wrong and you threw them out of their script.

This is given back when leaving the country

No it's not. They left my old 90 day appointment in the passport when I left the country.

When I tried to do a TM28 they didn't know what it was and threatened me, so I just left. Never required a TM 28 for 90 day report or extension before.

I did the TM 30 for my wife. No problem.

This is all just part of a move to make it so difficult to be legal that we leave, IMO. I can't think of any other reason for jerking us around like this. Telling the OP to bring the landlord to the office is just out of order. TM 30 is nothing to do with the renter.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 6/22/2018 at 4:04 AM, NancyL said:

Depending on your country you could have gone to your Embassy or Consulate to get a Cert. of Res. and it would have been cheaper than paying the 1600 baht fine.

US Consulate is $50 last I time I got one for buying a motorcycle

So pretty close as $50=1650 Thai Baht

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/vehicle-license-affidavit/

Edited by meechai

1 hour ago, meechai said:

US Consulate is $50 last I time I got one for buying a motorcycle

So pretty close as $50=1650 Thai Baht

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/vehicle-license-affidavit/

Yup, and you make an appointment online, get a  receipt, service with a smile, and receive the Cert of Res. immediately.  No B.S. about having to return the next day to pick up your Cert of Res.  Plus, whenever the U.S. Congress has a stupidity attack and shuts down the U.S. gov't, the U.S. Consulate remains open, living off the $50 fees, simply not remitting them to Washington and using the money to keep the lights on here in Chiang Mai.

• Like 2