recommendation for smartphone 5 inch, double sim, removable battery?

ChristianPFC

Because my iMobile IQ6 developed a problem with touchscreen (see here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/866775-mobile-phone-repair-shop-recommendation/), I am looking for a new phone:

5 inch or better 5.5 inch diagonal (at 1280x720 pixel or better),

double SIM (standard size if possible, both SIM I am using now are standard size),

removable battery (I had software problems with both my camera and my phone that could only be solved by shutting it down by removing battery), would be great if I could use battery from IQ6 (BL-165 2100mAh).

Not more than 8,000 THB.

GPS is more important than camera.

In this forum I read about iMobile IQ II, and in shopping mall I had a look at Acer Liquid Z630 (6,990 THB). Furthermore I had a demonstration of an Oppo, interesting features: while screen is off, draw a V with your finger and flashlight goes on, draw an L and Line opens, move three fingers down screen to take screenshot. Seems to be only on Oppo, I tried elsewhere, didn't work.

I will use the phone for calling, texting, navigating (GPS, google maps), reading documents and watching movies (which I downloaded on my computer) when traveling.

Any recommendation of a person who can decrapify the new phone (remove stuff I will not need)?

Edited by ChristianPFC

I would recommend stick to the bigger brand like Samsung, LG or Asus. Within the lifetime of the phone you almost always will drop it a few times. Then you need a new display, good luck finding an OPPO display in Thailand. Samsung and Asus are easy to get though. Galaxy J5 sounds like a sound advise.

Did you tried the ASUS Zenphone 2 Laser?

Yep. Asus Zenfone 2 laser the 5 inch 500KL. The 550 is 5.5 inch. AIS gave me a couple of adapter blanks to use with the micro SIM it needs, so the card can be fitted in a standard size slot too.

edited to add adapter comment.

Edited by writeshack

I absolutely can recommend you the I-mobile IQ II.

I bought it one week after it was available in Thailand, in September 2015.

I would say it is the best phone you get for your money.

4444 THB. Including the newest Android KitKat plus guaranteed update to the next two following versions. Two years warranty with service centre in Bkk.

No bloatware installed, only pure Android.

I really like this phone.

I'm using it as GPS on motorcycle trips, watch movies occasionally and internet if course.

Camera is good. Very seldom crash of applications.

One game installed, real racing 3, runs smoothly.

4444 THB. Including the newest Android KitKat plus guaranteed update to the next two following versions. Two years warranty with service centre in Bkk.

I'm using it as GPS on motorcycle trips, watch movies occasionally and internet if course.

Uses micro SIM where OP specified regular.

The Huawei phablet MediaPad X2 7.0 has been tested by ComputerBild in Germany and found the best Phone and Tablet currently on the market.

It has dual sim and both are up to 4G. It has memory extension up to 128 Gig. 2 year warranty. Superfast octo processor and to top it the longest battery life on any current phone around.

I am typing this on this phone and can say after having been a fan of Samsung I now switched to Huawei.

If you can buy electronic stuff in Europe wher you get a 2 year waranty compared to 1 year here in Thailand and the price is the same.

Good phone, mine just updated to the latest android version 6, marshmallow.

Motorola Moto G Second Generation, brilliant dual sim phone - check out the specs and it's made by one of the world's best phone makers!

I have one of these and it is a very good phone at a very cheap price

Very few new models that are top end have removable batteries these days... and it is a moot point

I recommend the ASUS ZenFone 2 with 4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage plus a slot for a SD Card... Extremely fast battery charging

This is an extremely fast smartphone ... click and zip to the Internet even on 3G...

12K Baht

Has ChristianPFC even bothered to acknowledge any of the posts yet? Troll. Why bother? Fortunately some good information is being exchanged.

I have found it interesting as i , too, need to buy a new phone but so many recommendations still make it difficult .The only phone i have eliminated is iPhone. I have had four and only the iPhone 6 is the only one that has came close to expectations but it still does not fit the criteria .

My first choice is down to the ASUS Zen 2 (4 GB ram) but reports of battery problems and the second sim being only 2 G make me hesitant . I have had quite a few ASUS products and all have been very good so maybe I should wait until ASUS fix these up. In the meantime i may just go for the Lumina 640 dual sim . Not a Hi-So phone but all reports /reviews a good solid basic phone and it is dropping in price since release . The Lenova sounds like a contender too .

Has ChristianPFC even bothered to acknowledge any of the posts yet? Troll. Why bother? Fortunately some good information is being exchanged.

I have found it interesting as i , too, need to buy a new phone but so many recommendations still make it difficult .The only phone i have eliminated is iPhone. I have had four and only the iPhone 6 is the only one that has came close to expectations but it still does not fit the criteria .

My first choice is down to the ASUS Zen 2 (4 GB ram) but reports of battery problems and the second sim being only 2 G make me hesitant . I have had quite a few ASUS products and all have been very good so maybe I should wait until ASUS fix these up. In the meantime i may just go for the Lumina 640 dual sim . Not a Hi-So phone but all reports /reviews a good solid basic phone and it is dropping in price since release . The Lenova sounds like a contender too .

As posted... I recommend the ASUS ZenFone 2 4 GB ... I have had this phone for several months and it works perfectly. I do not have any battery problems. This phone has a heavy duty charger - that when the battery has run low - say down to 15% it switches to a supercharge mode -- and brings it back up to 50% and beyond very quickly. In this mode you get a warning that the phone will heat up and it does ... but it is not a problem ... I get strong - long lasting battery performance - starting the day early at 5:00 a.m. and it last until bedtime at 10:00 p.m. or so ..... When using the WiFi Hot Spot the battery goes down as this feature uses lots of juice... But this is a known problem that has been around for years in many phones. it is an expected event

The Internet connection on 3G AIS is stellar ... quick loading of all apps -- Facebook, Google search, etc. - eye blink quick loads... This ZenFone 2 is faster than my laptop when interacting on the Internet ...

As with an earlier Motorola phone I had - the battery is non removable -- but a technician could removed it and replace it if it every came to that...

The ASUS support is great ... they responded to my question about a calendar app within one day ... And it was correct advise ...

As posted... I recommend the ASUS ZenFone 2 4 GB ... I have had this phone for several months and it works perfectly. I do not have any battery problems. This phone has a heavy duty charger - that when the battery has run low - say down to 15% it switches to a supercharge mode -- and brings it back up to 50% and beyond very quickly. In this mode you get a warning that the phone will heat up and it does ... but it is not a problem ... I get strong - long lasting battery performance - starting the day early at 5:00 a.m. and it last until bedtime at 10:00 p.m. or so ..... When using the WiFi Hot Spot the battery goes down as this feature uses lots of juice... But this is a known problem that has been around for years in many phones. it is an expected event

The Internet connection on 3G AIS is stellar ... quick loading of all apps -- Facebook, Google search, etc. - eye blink quick loads... This ZenFone 2 is faster than my laptop when interacting on the Internet ...

As with an earlier Motorola phone I had - the battery is non removable -- but a technician could removed it and replace it if it every came to that...

The ASUS support is great ... they responded to my question about a calendar app within one day ... And it was correct advise ...

Thanks JD . I had just read reports on some forums that there were some battery problems with recharge after 6 months or so. I wondered if it had something to do with the quick charge rather than trickle charge . I have a ASUS FonePad which is great plus the very first ASUS netbook and it is still used when i need to travel . Still may wait a little while though before i go for the Zenphone. I know i would prefer it over a iPhone 6 or the Galaxy 6 especially price wise.

The Lumina is still attractive though - just the interface with Microsoft and being able to use with ease excel & Word lite and outlook etc and my desktop computer. i don't need crap like games , facebook and messaging ( i am still old fashioned enough to find e-mail is a useful tool) and so basic business apps are more important to me. For some reason Microsoft office apps don't load/not compatible onto my Fonepad .

Edited by xen

I have been reading all comments, but am still procrastinating purchase of a phone (make a table with specifications and pluses and minuses for all phones mentioned, then go to shops to compare prices, and finally I don't need a "free power bank, screen protector, case" with the phone, just the phone at the cheapest price, however if possible with English speaking staff and reputable dealer).

Deadline for purchase is 03.01.2016, because then I will fly to Phnom Penh and if phone is >5000 Baht can get VAT refunded.

Standard SIM / Micro SIM is negotiable. Removable battery not.

Samsung Galaxy J5 and J7 cannot exchange battery, which rules them out despite other specifications promising.

I forgot to mention compass, which would be useful in buildings. On the street I usually know compass directions, but in shopping malls I lose sense of orientation, and there are never signs that point to main road (e.g. in Central World you have Rama I road in the south and Ratchadamri in the east). This applies to all shopping malls I have been to, I want to go back to X-road which is in Y-direction, but there are no signs.

Asus Zenphone 2 Laser has versions with 5.0 and 5.5 inch if you read the small print.

(After one hour of comparing specifications, I am exhausted and need the rest of the day to recover!)

Edited by ChristianPFC