Yingluck 'can run in election after ban ends'

webfact

WRITING A NEW DRAFT
Yingluck 'can run in election after ban ends'

KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN
THE NATION

30274146-01_big.jpg
Yingluck

BANGKOK: -- FORMER prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra would be able to contest in an election once she completes the five-year ban imposed on her following her impeachment, chief charter drafter Meechai Ruchupan said yesterday.

The Constitution Drafting Commission (CDC) revealed on Monday that a provision in the new constitution will impose a ban for life on those who are found guilty of electoral fraud.

Yingluck was impeached and banned because of negligence in preventing corruption in her government's rice-pledging scheme. According to the National Legislative Assembly's resolution in January, she is now serving a five-year political ban. Meechai said that if an election is held during the period of her ban, Yingluck will not be eligible to contest in it. Once the ban ends, she can run in the poll.

However, former MPs from the so-called House No 111 and 109, or those MPs from the dissolved Thai Rak Thai, People Power, Chart Thai, and Matchima Thipatai parties, will not be covered by the bans, Meechai said. They have finished serving their five-year ban from politics and they are now absolved according to the charter, the chief drafter said.

Meanwhile, some key politicians have come out to comment on the bans proposed by the charter drafters. Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva strongly backed the move, while Pheu Thai's legal expert, Phongthep Thepkanjana, had doubts.

Abhisit said the 17 prohibitions for MP candidates were expected in political reform. The qualifications and prohibitions are at the heart of recruitment of high-quality politicians, he said. "To enforce measures to keep out bad people from politics is an idea that should be supported," Abhisit said.

He added that we should not focus on "who" in particular would be affected by the new prohibitions. Rather, we should look at its principles, whether or not they are appropriate, the Democrat leader said.

In contrast, Phongthep cast doubts over the prohibitions for MP candidates. He said most of them were the same as in the previous constitutions. There were some points that differ, mostly because the terms and words used in this draft were new and different, he added.

However, he said the move to let the court rule on whether any politician must leave office was rather ambiguous. He urged the CDC to clarify its intentions on the prohibitions because it was a very important issue in politics.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Yingluck-can-run-in-election-after-ban-ends-30274146.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-02

YL : " can someone remind me what an election is again ?

Is it that sort of lottery thing where my brother buys all the winning tickets ?

Will I be on that special list which means I don't have to worry about the tickets and can be PM again so I can read from the scripts my brother gets prepared for me and I can run away if someone asks a question ?

Do I get all those lovely overseas shopping trips again ? "

Yes YL, Yes !

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Who decided on a 5 years ban and not 10 years or for life ban? another group of politicians of course,

knowing full well that they may be on the receiving end one day and thus the decision to ban only for 5

years so they can get back into the game and reap the spoils....

God help us if she gets back in again. But many will benefit from the chaos and corruption even the dodgy foreigners who don,t belong here in the first place.

I see you're back on the "dodgy foreigners" campaign again.

Would you care to explain why they are "dodgy" and why they "don't belong here", and perhaps even how they would benefit from Yingluck returning to government?

Edited by JAG

"To enforce measures to keep out bad people from politics is an idea that should be supported," Abhisit said.

Yes, Abhisit, you'll agree to ANYTHING done by the Junta that will limit your political opposition. What good is an election when you can't get a guarantee that your party will win it? It's not about any constitution, it's about POWER - however you can get it.

Time might be on Abhisit's side.

Currently, the NACC has charged Abhisit with abuse of power for excessive use of force (ie., injury and deaths) against civilians in a crackdown on protestors by directing military actions. If the NACC proceeds with the case, Thailand's junta-appointed legislature will vote on whether to impeach the former Democrat Party politician and, thereby, ban him from politics for five years. But if the ban were retroactive to 2010, Abhisit could run for election in 2016.

God help us if she gets back in again. But many will benefit from the chaos and corruption even the dodgy foreigners who don,t belong here in the first place.

Would you care to explain why they are "dodgy" and why they "don't belong here", and perhaps even how they would benefit from Yingluck returning to government?

Jag. Are you actually serious about her --do you think she did a super job over the 3 years she had--being advised by the wise one-ha ha--from Dubai---and look how good his learned advice was.

Petchabun--his first short sentence is spot on--anyone thinking different is a complete NUT.

Look up the word dodgy and you might understand why they should not be here unless you happen to believe that is perfectly ok . Yingluck returning to government that is clear as day. no need to explain. i think you just want to argue.

I think you are just avoiding having to answer a reasonable question posed in response to a post which did not make sense.

Jag. Are you actually serious about her --do you think she did a super job over the 3 years she had--being advised by the wise one-ha ha--from Dubai---and look how good his learned advice was.

Petchabun--his first short sentence is spot on--anyone thinking different is a complete NUT.

Ginjag, I made no comment about Yinglucks performance as Prime Minister. I asked him to explain a post that I didn't understand.

If it made sense to you, and as he has declined to explain it, perhaps you would be kind enough?

This whole concept of impeaching past politicians through the appointed NLA has bothered me from the start. The standard of justice is so low.

Now the CDC is in the process of trying to create a vast structure within the Charter for the bans, knowing that the recent impeachments rest on a shaky foundation. I think this effort will fail, as it looks way too draconian (bans for life, any sort of offense).

The root problem is that the criminal justice system is so abysmally slow and inconsistent; so various factions use alternative forms of adjudication for whatever motivation, whether petty or altruistic. Again, avoiding a rigorous "burden of proof". Thus, the use of an "administrative ruling" by committee to judge the negligence of Yingluck. Whatever the outcome, this is sure to be criticized.

I personally believe the emphasis should not be so much on constraining corrupt politicians with rules in the political sphere, but on reforms of the judicial system. Politicians will always be "slippery" and they will find ways to game the system. The judicial system is the defense against that, not an ever more complex set of rules.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

This whole concept of impeaching past politicians through the appointed NLA has bothered me from the start. The standard of justice is so low.

Now the CDC is in the process of trying to create a vast structure within the Charter for the bans, knowing that the recent impeachments rest on a shaky foundation. I think this effort will fail, as it looks way too draconian (bans for life, any sort of offense).

The root problem is that the criminal justice system is so abysmally slow and inconsistent; so various factions use alternative forms of adjudication for whatever motivation, whether petty or altruistic. Again, avoiding a rigorous "burden of proof". Thus, the use of an "administrative ruling" by committee to judge the negligence of Yingluck. Whatever the outcome, this is sure to be criticized.

I personally believe the emphasis should not be so much on constraining corrupt politicians with rules in the political sphere, but on reforms of the judicial system. Politicians will always be "slippery" and they will find ways to game the system. The judicial system is the defense against that, not an ever more complex set of rules.

Wrong the justice is never ectoderm for the influential elite, no matter from which party. Have you ever witnessed a highly influential Thai person go to jail????

Do you get it??..............

This woman, along with her fugitive brother should be sitting in Bangkwang as you read this. PM Prayut is doing a great job in rooting out corruption and restoring economic justice to this beleaguered nation. If anyone is "upset" that the military is running the show then simply remind yourself - YOU ARE A GUEST here in Thailand, and if you're feeling misery as to who's running the show then perhaps it's high time you look for the exit door, and stop whining.

That is all.

Ha Ha Petchabun Man---you ought to move from your wife's little town; it's a shithole.

How can foreigners benefit from Yinglick unless she is able to implement more forward thinking policies concerning human rights etc?

Yingkick 'able to implement more forward thinking policies concerning human rights etc'? Huh? Are the names of that friendly couple living in the red house next door and visiting you every day, maybe, Tida and Weng? Where would you get that propagandist rhetoric from when not? Yingluck in one sentence together with any of the next words, or, more an association of: able / implement / forward thinking / policies / human rights, LOL! Something from the 'etc' for her then please? LOL! Maybe you 'benefitted' too much from Yingluck? You know it can make you blind? LOL!

Edited by bangrak

Wrong the justice is never ectoderm for the influential elite, no matter from which party. Have you ever witnessed a highly influential Thai person go to jail????

Do you get it??..............

Hence the word "reform" applied to the judicial system. Thank you for reinforcing my point.

Also who are they? Can I be one of them? Maybe I am already.

Look up the word dodgy and you might understand why they should not be here unless you happen to believe that is perfectly ok . Yingluck returning to government that is clear as day. no need to explain. i think you just want to argue.

dodgy means: not honest or not relable, but I don't see how dodgy foreigners can benefit anything when or if YL become PM? Please explain.

Edited by bander

She'll be Her children will be past retirement age by the time the Junta allow an election.

coffee1.gif

Better than another Shinawatra in power biggrin.png

Would you apply the same justification to any one of a number of repressive military regimes worldwide over the last 50 years or so - substitute "electorates choice" for Shinawatra.?

Actually don't bother answering, in your case we probably already know the answer.

YL : " can someone remind me what an election is again ?

Is it that sort of lottery thing where my brother buys all the winning tickets ?

Will I be on that special list which means I don't have to worry about the tickets and can be PM again so I can read from the scripts my brother gets prepared for me and I can run away if someone asks a question ?

Do I get all those lovely overseas shopping trips again ? "

Yes YL, Yes !But you should be warned. When you win, the Democrats will revolt and the military will carry out yet another coup.

Edited by oldsailor35