Supreme Court not allow Yingluck to leave kingdom

snoop1130

Court rejects Yingluck's Europe travel request
The Nation

30274220-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders has rejected a request by former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra to travel to Europe at the invitation of European Parliament members.

In its order, the court said the invitation was insufficient reason for Yingluck to leave the country at this time and therefore her request, filed with the court earlier this week, was turned down.

A copy of the court order was seen by The Nation yesterday.

European Parliament members Elmar Brok and Werner Langen, in their letter dated October 7, invited Yingluck to exchange views on the Thai political situation either in Brussels, Belgium, or Strasbourg, France.

The invitation letter was publicised last week.

Yingluck is facing a legal case to be tried by the Supreme Court in connection with her government's corruption-plagued rice-pledging scheme.

Meanwhile, former PM Thaksin Shinawatra has conveyed his New Year wishes to Thais in a YouTube clip, offering his moral support to people in distress to be patient in order to overcome difficulties.

Thaksin predicted better social and economic conditions in Thailand in the second half of next year.

"Democracy will be restored, unity will return and the economy will pick up in the latter half of next year,'' he said.

"This year, we need special moral support because of the country's current situation. I live far away and don't know what I can give except moral support. People who are facing difficulty, please be patient and you will pass this point, because every crisis has opportunity,'' he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Court-rejects-Yinglucks-Europe-travel-request-30274220.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-03

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's fairly normal for wealthy criminals to flee justice..... The only problem is, yingluck doesn't need to use Europe as an excuse...

She is rich enough to leave anytime and I'm sure her supporters could arrange a late departure via helicopter from her house.....

They're making her look persecuted in the eyes of the rest of the world's media and actually if she wanted to be gone, I'm sure she has half a dozen non Thai passports the general CANNOT revoke

Has anyone thought of the implications of allowing Yingluck to travel to confer with the European Parliament members? What if they were to declare that Yingluck was being treated unjustly and that the Thai people should have the right of free speech and be able to vote for the government of their choosing? We've seen the recent reaction to the US Ambassador's positive and diplomatic remarks!

"... Ambassador's positive and diplomatic remarks! "

Well I see your sense of sarcasm is alive and well.

I have a crazy notion that someone overseas has sort of arranged this feeler, to see how the land lies.

She is not a person to be quizzed on the Thai situation, If these EU persons had any brains they would interview someone like an elder statesman say Gen-P.

If Gen P is an elder statesman then so is Bob Mugabe.

And perhaps ( the argument will doubtless go) they should both be given a little more time to sort things out in their respective countries...

It looks to me that like the cronies of Robert Amsterdam are working on a European Union commission basis to assist the prompt departure and escape from judgement concerning her actions at the command of her brother.

Sorry no go lady.

I'm sure the European Parliament will be thoroughly impressed by the junta's dedication to personal liberty and freedom of speech.

These guys are making serious strides in the world oppressive regimes' rankings. Well done!

On the other hand I suggest many people from other countries would see it as right and proper that a person who is in the midst of a case for serious dereliction of duty should not leave that country until the case is heard and decided.

These guys can't get it right, let her go, don't let her come back. I for one don't want to see her crying as she does another sympathy tour of Issan. Anyone recall her tearful exit to the elevator, where she was seen laughing as the door closed?

Invalid in your opinion and I can accept that, no problem. She probably needs to be told ''No'' ever now and again,

just to keep her aware of her true status and not what she may precieve herself as.

Yes, as opposed to the present bunch in power who have never answered to anyone for their actions.....ever.

No surprise there.

So let me get this right.

Yingluck is in a legal case which in turn means she is innocent until proven guilty and is not allowed to visit the EU but the deputy defence minister general Udomdej who is being investigated for corruption in the Rajabhakti Park scandal is permitted and even encouraged by the PM to stay on as the deputy defence minister.

Go figure.

Have you ever heard of the expression: As different as chalk and cheese?

Yingluck is in the middle of a court case about negligence.

AFAIK Gen Udomdej has not been charged with anything which to quote yourself, he also is innocent until proven guilty and he hasn't been charged with anything at all.

If you believe that he is guilty and have the evidence proving it then give it to the police. If not it is only your opinion.

And like you and everyone else on TV, I am entitled to my opinion.

And quite frankly, you're missing the point. But no point in trying to explain it to you because you and your usual cohorts only see what you want to see.

In other words this is your out because you don't have a substantive / relevant point.

Edited by scorecard

It's fairly normal for wealthy criminals to flee justice..... The only problem is, yingluck doesn't need to use Europe as an excuse...

She is rich enough to leave anytime and I'm sure her supporters could arrange a late departure via helicopter from her house.....

They're making her look persecuted in the eyes of the rest of the world's media and actually if she wanted to be gone, I'm sure she has half a dozen non Thai passports the general CANNOT revoke

So let her flee, and prove her own guilt. Keep up the family tradition, and maybe then go for a hat trick.

One less shin to rape the country.

If Yingluck's lawyers would just "get their fingers out" and allow the case to go to court,, she would very soon either be incarcerated, or be allowed the freedom to travel to wherever she wants

How long do lawyers need to dream up excuse after excuse? Either she is or is not guilty.

No surprise there.

So let me get this right.

Yingluck is in a legal case which in turn means she is innocent until proven guilty and is not allowed to visit the EU but the deputy defence minister general Udomdej who is being investigated for corruption in the Rajabhakti Park scandal is permitted and even encouraged by the PM to stay on as the deputy defence minister.

Go figure.

Have you ever heard of the expression: As different as chalk and cheese?

Yingluck is in the middle of a court case about negligence.

AFAIK Gen Udomdej has not been charged with anything which to quote yourself, he also is innocent until proven guilty and he hasn't been charged with anything at all.

If you believe that he is guilty and have the evidence proving it then give it to the police. If not it is only your opinion.

And like you and everyone else on TV, I am entitled to my opinion.

And quite frankly, you're missing the point. But no point in trying to explain it to you because you and your usual cohorts only see what you want to see.

In other words this is your out because you don't have a substantive / relevant point.

I prefer not to waste my valuable time trying to explain something to people that only see things in one color,but you're entitled to your opinion. Edited by ldiablo

It looks to me that like the cronies of Robert Amsterdam are working on a European Union commission basis to assist the prompt departure and escape from judgement concerning her actions at the command of her brother.

Sorry no go lady.

This kind of absurd lie has been retailed so often on this forum that there is a kind of weariness about it.

Returning to the real world the Junta was presented with a dilemma in this case.There would've been criticism of whatever decision was taken while there was no bad outcome for Yingluck.

My hunch is that the Junta would quite like Yingluck to absent herself but it's impossible for this to be said openly.

Whey the Thai judicial system does bad things to miss Yingluck it just makes them look like bullies

Sorry for that but that's how the international community. Will see it. Just an underhanded way to get at her brother..

Absolutely right. But, more importantly, it is a setback for the little general's attempts to convince diplomatic circles that he has some kind of road map to democracy. It is one thing to pretend that there was some reason to overthrow a freely elected representative the people chose to lead them, but to restrain her in a defacto 'house arrest' is just coup bullying and denial of human rights. Where are UNCHR and HRW?

Sounds like a sensible decision which is not really debatable by those not personally aquainted with the entire saga of this little gal and her and her families traits. That ''rabbit'' gene seems to follow you for a lifetime once it is displayed. Then you add the similarity to family and association with same, a tight rein on the bit is a sensible decision.

The long vacation with her brother is off.wai2.gif

The test of the court's fairness lies in its reasoning for denying her travel. But all the court can state is -

"the invitation was insufficient reason"

The court has no judicial grounds per se, no legal analysis that it could cite to deny her trip other than the right to deny her request. The court essentially takes a vague and seemingly arbritary position that relies on no legal standard or precedence. Equality under this court is simply that which pleases the court who is quite aware of its masters expectations under Article 44 of the Interim Charter.

The court's denial lacks sufficient reason.

The EU ministers accomplished the purpose of their invitation - to show that the current government holds a vendetta against democracy.

No doubt the NCPO has a very strong influence on the court decision. But what really is harmful to the junta if Yingluck give her democracy speech. The domestic audience is already hardened and divided and we will get the same retort from both sides and no grounds will be made. The junta spin masters will go into high gear to condemn the speech and so forth. The international audience already know full well of the situation here even so in this age and time. The international governments have embassies here and they submit reports to their respective governments. The junta have absolute power now and unlkely to be threatened by a speech. Then they have the extra bonus if she don't return and all the accusations by the junta will be vindicated by their spin masters. Really no harm letting her go. In fact letting her go will give the junta some brownie points for easing basic human rights and maybe lifting some pressure from the internal governments. The junta continue to make silly judgement errors.

If Yingluck's lawyers would just "get their fingers out" and allow the case to go to court,, she would very soon either be incarcerated, or be allowed the freedom to travel to wherever she wants

How long do lawyers need to dream up excuse after excuse? Either she is or is not guilty.

No doubt they're looking for new faces to:

- Say 'but she's a nice lady'.

- Explain that the scheme seriously benefited all farmers and they are all now rich and have all since visited Dubai.

The test of the court's fairness lies in its reasoning for denying her travel. But all the court can state is -

"the invitation was insufficient reason"

The court has no judicial grounds per se, no legal analysis that it could cite to deny her trip other than the right to deny her request. The court essentially takes a vague and seemingly arbritary position that relies on no legal standard or precedence. Equality under this court is simply that which pleases the court who is quite aware of its masters expectations under Article 44 of the Interim Charter.

The court's denial lacks sufficient reason.

The EU ministers accomplished the purpose of their invitation - to show that the current government holds a vendetta against democracy.

No doubt the NCPO has a very strong influence on the court decision. But what really is harmful to the junta if Yingluck give her democracy speech. The domestic audience is already hardened and divided and we will get the same retort from both sides and no grounds will be made. The junta spin masters will go into high gear to condemn the speech and so forth. The international audience already know full well of the situation here even so in this age and time. The international governments have embassies here and they submit reports to their respective governments. The junta have absolute power now and unlkely to be threatened by a speech. Then they have the extra bonus if she don't return and all the accusations by the junta will be vindicated by their spin masters. Really no harm letting her go. In fact letting her go will give the junta some brownie points for easing basic human rights and maybe lifting some pressure from the internal governments. The junta continue to make silly judgement errors.

"...is harmful to the junta if Yingluck give her democracy speech...".

Somehow I think you made an error in your typing.

Yingluck give her democracy speech?

Is it a speech or is it a two way discussion and Q and A?

How can that be? She doesn't have the slighest idea what democracy means / is / the process, etc etc.

The same speech she gave in the central Asian country?

If it's a speech then no doubt someone else would write the speech.

If there are no questions then what's the value of the whole event? How could it be seen widely as balanced?

Edited by scorecard

This is a Catch 22 situation for the Junta.

If they don't let her go, they look even more foolish in the international community for their "draconian" actions.

If they let her go, and she doesn't come back, they can claim: "See! She's running from her guilt".

BUT, if they let her go, and she does come back - Which as ALREADY happened twice now - then they look even more foolish.

They can't win for losing.