Yesterdays experience at immigration

BB1955

There is no more contentious topic on ThaiVisa forums than this: one's experiences with the Royal Thai Immigration Police. (Except perhaps where to get a "good" pizza.) I am addicted to reading these mostly sad accounts. Post of the week is definitely the one by Eyecatcher. What a fine epic of frustration.

That was my edited version; the real version is (will be) posted elsewhere and includes some of my very risque and flippant conversations with the staff. (i will send for you)

but thank you;

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread was about Immigration at the Old Office (Airport) and then it branched out to deal with other topics as well.

Since the thread is called: Yesterdays experience at immigration, perhaps it would be nice for someone to rename it properly to reflect this.

^^^^^

something akin to this then:

Yesterdays experience at Immigration; also; Eyecatchers even more interesting experience PLUS... is the agents office at Promenada still there or just moved 3 doors down; PLUS! and you never guess what happened next; also in this title thread, how to use the "reply to the topic" panel at the bottom of this page or even the black one at the top AND ALSO, do you want to debate whether the cost of the marriage extension with the agency from the abandoned office will cost us 10k baht....and finally if youre out in the sticks and it takes you 10 minutes to files your papers at immigration, we at Chiang mai want to know; rub it in, we'd love to hear the pleasure you get from it!

dont you think the title is a bit long though?

Hi - does all this business about needing to arrive at 4am apply to someone who just wants an extension to a 60 day tourist visa? If so, can anyone recommend an agent who could do it please? I have a back problem and there's no way I can stand in a line that long.

I highly doubt it does. As for standing in line they have seats to sit on.

I agree the people that do not have their paper work and documents in order should be sent away and told to return once their paper work is is order. I disagree that this should not include first time applicants.

Agree with this mostly except that EVEN if you've trawled and trawled the tons (quite a lot of which is misleading) of information on the internet, checked, double checked, copied every document under the sun, signed and countersigned, crossed every 'T' and dotted every "i", you still can't account for Thai random and documents right and in order can still be wrong. Last year in Phuket, all documents in order for retirement extension BUT the I/O stated they wanted a copy of a Thai bank/debit card (to show you had means to withdraw money from the bank), I mean come on.

So in that respect I can agree that people should get their docs in order before they arrive, the problem is that you have no guarantee that what is right and in order from the info you can glean from wherever will be right and in order when you turn up. Albeit such deviations should be rare, they happen.

I agree the people that do not have their paper work and documents in order should be sent away and told to return once their paper work is is order. I disagree that this should not include first time applicants.

Agree with this mostly except that EVEN if you've trawled and trawled the tons (quite a lot of which is misleading) of information on the internet, checked, double checked, copied every document under the sun, signed and countersigned, crossed every 'T' and dotted every "i", you still can't account for Thai random and documents right and in order can still be wrong. Last year in Phuket, all documents in order for retirement extension BUT the I/O stated they wanted a copy of a Thai bank/debit card (to show you had means to withdraw money from the bank), I mean come on.

So in that respect I can agree that people should get their docs in order before they arrive, the problem is that you have no guarantee that what is right and in order from the info you can glean from wherever will be right and in order when you turn up. Albeit such deviations should be rare, they happen.

Could you just not show them your debit card? I agree that is a B S thing and the officers personal request. For the most part the retirement is a straight out cut and dried system. The required paper work is the same. It is just when an officer throws some thing like that at you which doesn't happen that often.

I realize marriage ones do get some real weird things asked for at times.

Lately here in Chiang Mai they have been getting picky about the size of the picture.

I use the guaranteed income and as always carry the proof with me along with the verification letter from the US conciliate. I also carry a receipt for the rent along with a letter of how long I have lived at that address. I have yet to be asked to see any of them but I am not going to take a chance.

Could you just not show them your debit card? I agree that is a B S thing and the officers personal request. For the most part the retirement is a straight out cut and dried system. The required paper work is the same. It is just when an officer throws some thing like that at you which doesn't happen that often.

I realize marriage ones do get some real weird things asked for at times.

Lately here in Chiang Mai they have been getting picky about the size of the picture.

I use the guaranteed income and as always carry the proof with me along with the verification letter from the US conciliate. I also carry a receipt for the rent along with a letter of how long I have lived at that address. I have yet to be asked to see any of them but I am not going to take a chance.

Nah, wouldn't have it, wanted a copy so had to go downstairs and get one. Luckily Immigration wasn't too busy so I didn't lose my place, he just said when you come back just come to me after I've finished dealing with whoever is sat here at the time.

But, like you say, retirement extension straight forward, required paperwork is the same, except............ So, the next thing added to my checklist of things to take for retirement extension is copy of ATM card, just in case. Thankfully though it was still only 2-3 hours start to finish and none of this queue from 5am BS.

Recently at Promenada, they've been giving tickets to everyone who is in the retirement extension queue at the opening time of 8:30 am. So, in theory, you don't need to arrive until just before 8:30 am for a retirement extension. Of course, it means that you won't be seen until mid afternoon and your passport won't be returned until late. I've heard reports of passports being returned as late as 6 - 6:30 pm.

If you want to be seen in the morning and have your passport returned by 1:30 - 2:30 pm for a retirement extension then you should arrive before 5:30 - 6 am.

I don't know if they will continue to give queue tickets to everyone who shows up by 8:30 am if the numbers grow. The most I've seen is about 34. This is a new development.

It's important that people who are at Imm. Prom. in the early morning take the time to observe the retirement queue to see if everyone receives a queue ticket. This is the only way we're going to know if Imm. Prom. is continuing this "enhancement" to the process.

I believe the reason immigration has been handing out more queues, is a direct result of the pressure you and others have placed on these people by showing up and reporting how difficult they have made it for expats to comply with their yearly immigration requirements.

Unbelievable. What about the security conscious/Luddites who eschew ATM cards and eBanking ?

The banks are open almost every day. One can withdraw funds from a smiling face in a prim uniform.

Archived