Yesterdays experience at immigration

BB1955

4 am? seriously?

It's hilarious. There is absolutely no need to arrive before 8:00.

Certainly not the case until recent efforts by some forum members that resulted in more tickets being issued, going at 8am resulted in being told to come back another day. I don't think hilarious would be a description that would have fit the bill.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently at Promenada, they've been giving tickets to everyone who is in the retirement extension queue at the opening time of 8:30 am. So, in theory, you don't need to arrive until just before 8:30 am for a retirement extension. Of course, it means that you won't be seen until mid afternoon and your passport won't be returned until late. I've heard reports of passports being returned as late as 6 - 6:30 pm.

If you want to be seen in the morning and have your passport returned by 1:30 - 2:30 pm for a retirement extension then you should arrive before 5:30 - 6 am.

I don't know if they will continue to give queue tickets to everyone who shows up by 8:30 am if the numbers grow. The most I've seen is about 34. This is a new development.

It's important that people who are at Imm. Prom. in the early morning take the time to observe the retirement queue to see if everyone receives a queue ticket. This is the only way we're going to know if Imm. Prom. is continuing this "enhancement" to the process.

Lets face it.. Removing the online queue appointment booking is a total farce and a spit in the eye to the expat population trying to properly accommodate immigration's rules.

The statement that its 2 offices and cant work is just idiocy when you need to state which class your applying for on the system.

Lets face it.. Removing the online queue appointment booking is a total farce and a spit in the eye to the expat population trying to properly accommodate immigration's rules.

The statement that its 2 offices and cant work is just idiocy when you need to state which class your applying for on the system.

I for one think the on line queue appointment to 1 out of 5 was a spit in the eye to the expat population.

Quite simply they could allow more queue numbers when the 10 not in the queue system was eliminated.

This is all of course just rhetoric. In 1 out of 700 posts in the pinned topic there was only one who gave us an idea of how many they see in a day. We who have been here for a while realize the number can change from day to day. With my own eyes I saw them when they had two agents at the Airport announce for every one with a number over 17 to come back this afternoon and another time I was number 60 and they saw one more after me. The fellow told me they tried to get 50 a day and did real well that day because a lot of people had their paper work done correctly.

I have to admit I do not know if the on line appointment system was only for retirees or for other type Visa's that needed an extension. Was the married ones included in it?It would be nice if they could come up with an on line appointment system for all.

If you do not have your papers in order immediately send you to the back of the line do not waste their time on you. This of course I believe should not include first time applicants. Give them a chance to learn how to get it right. It doesn't take three girls to hand out queue numbers train two of them to check the paperwork first for you. They might not get the finer points such as the last one I did with the agent next door who did and pointed out I had missed a line to sign. But they will be able to see if you have the correct number of photo copies and that they are all signed. Also apparently now they are being critical of the size of the photo. The girl could have a little template to check that for you. I know when I did mine I used the same picture I had for the last two years and the agent trimmed it down a little. I know they said mine were all fine when I did my 90 day. They were not signed. I did that before I saw the agent the point is if I didn't know it would have been more time with the agent holding up the line behind me. Not a lot but when they are seeing that many people the time will add up.

My two cents worth. It of course goes with out saying that they need a person there at all times able to sign the passports. That way it could be one stop one time service.

NorthernJohn, I really don't know how you can get off saying that in 700 posts only 1 has said how many people they serve in a day. Or maybe you have me on "ignore" and don't read my posts.

No matter, I won't be going out to Imm. Prom. in the early morning hours to observe in the future anymore. Apparently you (and others) only want to receive reports from customers, not observers.

If you do not have your papers in order immediately send you to the back of the line do not waste their time on you. This of course I believe should not include first time applicants. Give them a chance to learn how to get it right. It doesn't take three girls to hand out queue numbers train two of them to check the paperwork first for you. They might not get the finer points such as the last one I did with the agent next door who did and pointed out I had missed a line to sign. But they will be able to see if you have the correct number of photo copies and that they are all signed. Also apparently now they are being critical of the size of the photo. The girl could have a little template to check that for you. I know when I did mine I used the same picture I had for the last two years and the agent trimmed it down a little. I know they said mine were all fine when I did my 90 day. They were not signed. I did that before I saw the agent the point is if I didn't know it would have been more time with the agent holding up the line behind me. Not a lot but when they are seeing that many people the time will add up.

My two cents worth. It of course goes with out saying that they need a person there at all times able to sign the passports. That way it could be one stop one time service.

So many ways they could if they wanted to, streamline it.. Like you say, make a absolute clear guide of what they want, in correct english (possibly others), and make it into wall posters or a PDF. If everyone had EXACTLY what was wanted, it would go so much easier. Sadly what they demand changes from each officer each time I do one. One year I was knocked back for my google maps printout of my location.. they wanted a hand drawn one. Next year I include a hand drawn one and the google maps and the officer even commented on how good and clear the google map was. Few years ago they wanted my wedding pictures in the photos, this year they said no not wedding pictures but just images of us together, holidays and the like. One time I was refused as I printed the photos on a page (had to be real photo prints suck on the page) every other year thats been fine.. Every year they about face and change what they wanted from the previous officer.

If they want us to arrive, clearly with all information well presented and in order.. How about being consistent on what they even want.

I have a double entry (issued 13 Oct, Arrived 28Oct) I have to get a 30 day extension before 28 Dec, leave TH and return before 13 Jan. Will my experience to get said extension be hours/days or is it simpler than OP's experience ?

BTW was working out how much my visa costs per 6 month....Initial 2 entry visa from Canada 2,000 Bht=.... 2 x 30 day extensions (2 x 1900 Bht) = 5,800 Bht or about 1,000Bht per month. There has to be another way !

Another question...Can you go to either the Airport Imm (I've seen it mentioned on this forum) or Promenada ?

I think it's only Promenada, but there is another way now whether you like it or not; your kind of visa is now discontinued (you already have it so you are OK).

Tourist visas are for either single entry or multiple 180 days (in and out as many times as you want, but leave at least once at 90 days), and if you want the multiple visa you have to apply in your home country, have the equivalent of 200,000 baht (I'm 99% certain that's the figure) in your home bank account seasoned for 6 months prior to your application, a letter from your employer saying you have 6 months annual leave (don't know how that will work if you are either retired, on disability, make your money informally online or are plain unemployed) and a return ticket in order to apply for it. I don't remember the cost of the visas.

As far as I'm aware you can still get the single entry at Laos, Malaysia etc, but everybody needs to check out current ever-changing rules and enforcements before leaving home.

(No, unfortunately, I'm not joking).

pay the extra ... get it done hassle free ... no stress ..... coffee1.gif seems the choice to me .

My guess is that everyone who uses an Agent has been through a similar first time or even second time experience as me, so the more Agent trips you see now reflects on the numbers of unhappy customers.

unless you have had a bad experience then no one goes to an agent the first time, as me....i just didnt believe all the stories I read.sad.png

Perfect opportunity for a letter to the editor, it could be truncated so as not to identify you if you don't want to put your head up.

Recently at Promenada, they've been giving tickets to everyone who is in the retirement extension queue at the opening time of 8:30 am. So, in theory, you don't need to arrive until just before 8:30 am for a retirement extension.

Just like I said.........I've never in all the years gone earlier than 08:00 for an extension and never spent more than 2.5 hours there....wink.png

Well again it would be nice to be able to walk up to the door at 8 am get a number see the office have her stamp my passport and be home by 10 am. But that aint happening anytime soon , and it appears from all the posts in the past bitching about it doesnt do any good . Kind of like being in the army . It helps me to remember im a guest here in someone elses country .. Thailand owes me nothing .....

If that is how you treat a guest remind me not to go to your place.

It helps me to remember im a guest here in someone elses country .. Thailand owes me nothing .....

Being a guest means that you were invited, Did someone invite you to come and live in Thailand ?

I came to Thailand of my own accord and I wasnt invited by anyone, so I am not a guest here

Any non-Thai is a guest & a 2nd or lower citizen based on how large your bank account. Christ! People! This is Asia!!

I dont think that its possible to be a "guest" and also a "citizen" .

Yes, Thais do not need to get a Visa to live in Thailand and therefore dont need to go to immigration, but its like that in every Country

I was in the line behind you.....I arrived at 5.30 after being laughed away at 9am the previous day. I was pretty disappointed that all the chairs were taken. I was 12th in line, and by the time I arrived the teacher/student queue was 30 long.

I think I remember the OP, lucky enough to be able to have a kip in the car, was it you who made the slip up as you were about to get your number ?...that was at 6.50 as I remember, when they give the numbers. I wasnt impressed getting number 425 I knew it was going to be a long day.

That was the longest day of my life. I too was there for the marriage stuff, I thought I was first in line as I was first up for the document check. I had 3 things to obtain, a hand drawn map, instead of the excellent one printed via the internet, and the letter from the bank to say the statement printed off was more upto date than the previous afternoon and an original wifes name change certificate.

With that I was told to come back at about 10am.

So having pissed about for 3hrs, going back home, back to the bank, more drawings, more photocopies, we arrived back just 2 numbers before ours.

they take 30 minutes to process each couple it seemed. I wondered why?? but at 11am we were called,

When it was our turn, it was a case of watching her shuffle papers around the desk, to make 2 neat piles. the 20 of the 30 minutes was me signing every damn photocopy and printing my name. 5 minutes of the time was interrupted by the adjacent couple whos' officer was insisting they had the red stamped translated divorce document and ours was the example to show them.....followed by the wifes advice on how to get there.

Then with ours, and by this time it was 11.30 ish she found something else to query. the bank account thats not been touched since early october, now needs some money putting in it to show its correct as of now. f.f.s. So we were dismissed and told to come back at 1.30, no problem just wave and I will see you.

Two hours wandering around central, went to the bank and was laughed at for putting 50bt into the account but job done. Came back early, 1.20 and was beaten in to the chair by a korean couple, so another 45 minutes waiting, stressing, wife needs to be at work, I am well pissed off by now.

Agents, coming in and out, on a regular basis, having the run of the place, the priority, just darting to the next available desk, whereas we have to wait for "our" officer......got me thinking, the agents have the priority,probably because they are getting 2k extra.....and next time I dont want to be fannying about like this all day.

Finally we were up....5 minute job to look at the photocopied new bank account, yellow highlighter and then a conversation with the wife about what I am getting...not with me...

So during the whole of this process, not one word of English was spoken, a few questions to the wife I understood about where we met, where she works, how much she earns,.............then right at the end, this must be in their plan.....she spoke perfect English to me, about her extending my current visa for an extra month whilst they do checks on me, and probably to check my deceased fathers name was correct?? and that I have to come back in 2 months, just walk in and ask if all ok; then 90 day reporting, blah blah, she acted like dumbarse the whole process.

Oh I forgot to add, we had to do the TM38 form, reporting, well the missus did; I was so desperately trying to remember LivinLos tale about how to confuse them should a fine be mentioned; however it wasnt.

Not finished yet..........after all that we were advised photos required from the back so went to sit down. This was pathetic, it took 5 minutes of talking to the wife, that they would call us when required in the meantime I am trying to hold the longest smile in history.

I mean i was sat in the chair, all she has to do is put her finger on the camera and done....no....they want to be in control, they want to make everyone wait....well fkt off by now, wife also, she asked if she needed photo, when they said no, i didnt see her for dust, no goodbye, nothing she was off!!

Muggins here, had to sit down again for 30 minutes waiting to be called for the photo, why??

I know what your thinking, when is Eyecatcher going to finish his tale, yes agree boring isnt it, as I was, to death..... Finally photograph done, go and wait, another 10 minutes, passport returned.

3.30 I walked out of that door. 5am the alarm was set, 5.30 I joined the Q.

WHATS THE ANSWER? i don't know.

This 5/6am queuing; we; farangs, tourists have created a rod for our own back. immig dont say wait at that time, but we know that they only see say 10 marriage/10 retirement/30 others visas a day.

there are only 12 or so officers, demand is exceeding supply (an economics principle to raise the price)

so because of this we have to be selfish and make sure we get our visa sorted before anyone else.

This is hows wars start!

That report brought back the happy memories of when I used to do that, she always found something to send me away for more meaningless papers.

And that was prior the current unbounded joy of lining up at the absurd time of 4 am. Seems like being treated as an undesirable refugee just keeps getting better.

If you do not have your papers in order immediately send you to the back of the line do not waste their time on you. This of course I believe should not include first time applicants. Give them a chance to learn how to get it right.

Unfortunately they change the paperwork required for a marriage extension every year.

Been 5x, every time they requested something different.

Now if you use a VISA agent, your paperwork is always correct (even when it isn't), and they can process as many extensions as the VISA agen wants in 1 day.

pay the extra ... get it done hassle free ... no stress ..... coffee1.gif seems the choice to me .

My guess is that everyone who uses an Agent has been through a similar first time or even second time experience as me, so the more Agent trips you see now reflects on the numbers of unhappy customers.

unless you have had a bad experience then no one goes to an agent the first time, as me....i just didnt believe all the stories I read.sad.png

VISA agents want 10,000bht for a marriage extension.

There is no more contentious topic on ThaiVisa forums than this: one's experiences with the Royal Thai Immigration Police. (Except perhaps where to get a "good" pizza.) I am addicted to reading these mostly sad accounts. Post of the week is definitely the one by Eyecatcher. What a fine epic of frustration.

After five years of showing up in person for my extension based on retirement, and being annoyed when reading posts from (I thought) smug people who say "Jeez, why fight it, hire an AGENT!"...I finally signed up with an agent. Seven thousand baht covered the extension, the ride out and back, no waiting, and a years worth of no show 90 day reports. This relieved me of SO MUCH STRESS, it was definitely worth it.

As things seem to get more jammed up down there, I think we are almost forced to hire a service. I know a lot of forum members resent and will never do this. That is your perfect right, and God bless you.

I for one think the on line queue appointment to 1 out of 5 was a spit in the eye to the expat population.

Quite simply they could allow more queue numbers when the 10 not in the queue system was eliminated.

This is all of course just rhetoric. In 1 out of 700 posts in the pinned topic there was only one who gave us an idea of how many they see in a day. We who have been here for a while realize the number can change from day to day. With my own eyes I saw them when they had two agents at the Airport announce for every one with a number over 17 to come back this afternoon and another time I was number 60 and they saw one more after me. The fellow told me they tried to get 50 a day and did real well that day because a lot of people had their paper work done correctly.

I have to admit I do not know if the on line appointment system was only for retirees or for other type Visa's that needed an extension. Was the married ones included in it?It would be nice if they could come up with an on line appointment system for all.

I agree the people that do not have their paper work and documents in order should be sent away and told to return once their paper work is is order. I disagree that this should not include first time applicants.

The first timers should be encouraged to use an agency to assist them until they gain the knack of it and taught how to get it right next time, because it`s not the duty of immigration to be filling out forms and advise them what is needed from the queues. Reading these posts I was led to believe that most of the protests are coming from people like me that know how to fill in their forms and what to bring but are being pressurised into using agencies just to be able to grab a slot in the queue. By making longer time allowances for first timers that have little clues what is required, will again have the affect of slowing down the whole process and defeats the objective of immigration being able to process more applicants each working day. I cannot see any logic in that.

I don`t care about the people that do not have enough money to pay agency fees or are ignorant of their requirements for retirement extensions, that`s their problem and the reason agencies exist to help these people. Why should I have to be lumbered with more expense and inconvenience just to accommodate the selfish people who refuse to use alternative methods and would rather play the ignorance game, holding up the process just to save a few thousand baht.

^^^^

And again,

You don't know the requirements for a marriage extension, as they want different stuff each year.

And don't print anywhere in advance, what different stuff they want.

Let me list some of the 'different stuff they have wanted .....

Last year,

...... wanted the bank letter to specify the exact amount in the account, before they didn't, "go to Airport Plaza and get a new letter, they know how we want it"

Year before,

....... want a copy of your Thai child's birth certificate, "What if I don't have a Thai child? we can see him here with you"

Ad infinitum

I see from eyecatcher, this year they want the misses name change form ..... my misses has one of those, they never wanted it before, guess this year I'm ahead of their game!

I agree the people that do not have their paper work and documents in order should be sent away and told to return once their paper work is is order. I disagree that this should not include first time applicants.

The first timers should be encouraged to use an agency to assist them until they gain the knack of it and taught how to get it right next time, because it`s not the duty of immigration to be filling out forms and advise them what is needed from the queues. Reading these posts I was led to believe that most of the protests are coming from people like me that know how to fill in their forms and what to bring but are being pressurised into using agencies just to be able to grab a slot in the queue. By making longer time allowances for first timers that have little clues what is required, will again have the affect of slowing down the whole process and defeats the objective of immigration being able to process more applicants each working day. I cannot see any logic in that.

I don`t care about the people that do not have enough money to pay agency fees or are ignorant of their requirements for retirement extensions, that`s their problem and the reason agencies exist to help these people. Why should I have to be lumbered with more expense and inconvenience just to accommodate the selfish people who refuse to use alternative methods and would rather play the ignorance game, holding up the process just to save a few thousand baht.

I guess you could call me a softie. I disagree with you and agree with you. I believe send them to get the proper copies and picture. But I don't agree to let them come right back. Send them to the back of the line. It might mean coming back tomorrow. Also I am sure that there are many repeat applicants that don't get it right. I also hear complaints about the people using the bank deposit. Most of them are because they don't realize the letter from the bank has to match the bank book. Having enough money on both is not good enough for the immigration. Makes no difference if you have over a million in both. They don't care. I also think there is only a short time limit between when you get the letter and when they will accept it. Don't know I use the guaranteed income myself.

^^^^

And again,

You don't know the requirements for a marriage extension, as they want different stuff each year.

Last year,

...... wanted the bank letter to specify the exact amount in the account, before they didn't, "go to Airport Plaza and get a new letter, they know how we want it"

Year before,

....... want a copy of your Thai child's birth certificate, "What if I don't have a Thai child? we can see him here with you"

Ad infinitum

I see from eyecatcher, this year they want the misses name change form ..... my misses has one of those, they never wanted it before, guess this year I'm ahead of their game!

Maybe. I have heard of them wanting pictures of the couple sitting on the bed.

You are correct the marriage one does have some strange requests at times.

The only way I would ever use that is if my income fell.

Why would the bank not have given you the correct amount. I am sure they know that is required unless it was a new person doing it.

Do you even have to tell them you have children?

^^^^

And again,

Last year,

Year before,

Ad infinitum

Yes we must demand black and white, the same every time, nothing less is acceptable otherwise the uncertainty is overwhelming. Suan Prung is going to be bombarded with new admissions if this continues.

I guess you could call me a softie. I disagree with you and agree with you. I believe send them to get the proper copies and picture. But I don't agree to let them come right back. Send them to the back of the line. It might mean coming back tomorrow. Also I am sure that there are many repeat applicants that don't get it right. I also hear complaints about the people using the bank deposit. Most of them are because they don't realize the letter from the bank has to match the bank book. Having enough money on both is not good enough for the immigration. Makes no difference if you have over a million in both. They don't care. I also think there is only a short time limit between when you get the letter and when they will accept it. Don't know I use the guaranteed income myself.

We are on the same track.

People that make major errors with their paper work should be turned away and told to try again another time regardless of who they are. Then how they get their act together is their problem, it does not become our problem. There is tons of information online, on Thai Visa and they could even turn up a few weeks early at immigration and ask if not sure. And as I said, all else failing, they can use an agency. NO EXCUSES.

^^^^

And again,

Last year,

Year before,

Ad infinitum

Maybe. I have heard of them wanting pictures of the couple sitting on the bed.

You are correct the marriage one does have some strange requests at times.

The only way I would ever use that is if my income fell.

Why would the bank not have given you the correct amount. I am sure they know that is required unless it was a new person doing it.

Do you even have to tell them you have children?

Again in my story, I related a tale about the adjacent couple being asked for a red stamped copy of the divorce document stamped by the Ministry of F.affairs at the 700yr.

now you need this to get married in the first place.

this couple had the marriage certificate....yet Immig wanted all that pre requisite stuff.

you just watch, the next development for us is to provide a full health check certificate....and one showing you have a "clean" wife

It helps me to remember im a guest here in someone elses country .. Thailand owes me nothing .....

Being a guest means that you were invited, Did someone invite you to come and live in Thailand ?

I came to Thailand of my own accord and I wasnt invited by anyone, so I am not a guest here

Hotel guest?

We are on the same track.

People that make major errors with their paper work should be turned away and told to try again another time regardless of who they are. Then how they get their act together is their problem, it does not become our problem. There is tons of information online, on Thai Visa and they could even turn up a few weeks early at immigration and ask if not sure. And as I said, all else failing, they can use an agency. NO EXCUSES.

I am still a softie. That is because I really am computer challenged. I can do very little with it. Also My paper work sucks. But I did have enough sense to get a friend who is a whizz at paper work to help me and I made a copy of it. I left the date off of it to be filled in later. I could do the address except for the fact I had no idea of what a muang is.

I don't take any chances when I go in there I have a letter from my landlord and I carry the papers with all my income stated on them in addition to my letter from the consulate. Never been asked for them but if they do I am ready.

I am really glad I don't have the marriage one. I have heard of some pretty weird requests from them.

So, the current situation is : You go to the immigration on your own and they make it time consuming and difficult to get an extension, or you could go to the visa company, situated, conveniently, right next door to the immigration, pay extra money and get a visa extension quite easily .

So, the more problematic it become to get a visa extension, the more people whom go to get assistance from the Visa company situated right next door and the more money they make, the visa extension company , that is

Archived