Nigerian man arrested after scamming Thai women out of millions of Baht

webfact

Nigerian man arrested after scamming Thai women out of millions of Baht

dnews.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- Police have arrested a Nigerian man over his involvement in an online scam which resulted in several Thai women being duped out of millions of Baht.

Mgbenka Ogochukwu, 35, was arrested by officers from the Technology Crime Suppression Division at an address in the Bangkok’s Lat Krabang district.

Police made the arrest following scores of complaints from Thai women who told police they had each been conned out of 100,000 Baht.

The women explained how they had started chatting on Facebook, LINE and on dating websites to a man who they thought was living in Europe and who would soon be moving to Thailand.

According to Daily News, each of the women wired Mgbenka hundreds of thousands of Baht after receiving a call from who they thought was the man they had been chatting to online.

During the call, the women were told how their new European love interest was being detained at the airport with more than one million Baht in cash and needed 100,000 Baht transferring into an account immediately in order pay custom charges on the cash.

Mgbenka admitted to police that he posed on Facebook pretending to be western men called either John or Mark and that he had chatted online to more than one hundred women.

Mgbenka is currently being held in Bangkok awaiting further legal proceedings.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2015-12-04

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

During the call, the women were told how their new European love interest was being detained at the airport with more than one million Baht in cash and needed 100,000 Baht transferring into an account immediately in order pay custom charges on the cash.

Cute story, a new variant of the sick water buffalo story.
Was certainly
a lot of work to chat with hundreds of women.

But finally he has found 10 naive women.

Got today again an eMail from Nigeria.
A prince have 10 million US dollars in his account.
If I send him $ 5,000 he wants to share with me his 10 million.biggrin.png

Edited by tomacht8

Cute story, a new variant of the sick water buffalo story.

Was certainly a lot of work to chat with hundreds of women.

But finally he has found 10 naive women.

I know an American guy. He has a PhD. One would think he was pretty sharp.

Happened about 4 years ago that he fell for a Nigerian phishing scam. I only met him about 2 years ago.

He lost his house in the US somehow. Something about a 2nd mortgage so he could deposit a little bit of $$ to get a lot of $$$.

I just have fuzzy details, but that's the story I heard.

Not any of my business really, so I never pressed for full details.

Bet you didn't...they don't ask for money up front, that comes much later in the scam.

What I am really wondering is how many of these "naive" women thought that investing 100,000 Baht for a potential short-term return of at least 900,000 Baht - for which they doubtlessly would eventually fleece their "European love interest" - constituted an excellent yield. greed often speaks with a very loud voice in this country.

Edited by Misterwhisper

These guys are very good at what they do.

Not many of these ladies have 100,000 baht in cash.....so where do they get the money to send to the Nigerians? I suppose they collect from some willing farang contributions for sick buffalo, milk for kids, and clinics for mom and dad. Easy come, easy go....but who are the real losers?