Benelli Italian or Not.... Is Ducati Italian?

Richard-BKK

While everybody seem to love Ducati for being an Italian superbike, the brand is killing the Italian motorcycle industry. And while, most people thing Benelli is trying to pass as an Italian motorcycle company. While being owned by a Chinese investment group.

Since Benelli is owned by the Chinese investment group, more people work at the Italian HQ than ever before… Production of motorcycles in Italy is up to 30 percent… (this bikes are shipped worldwide).

Benelli is not Italian? Read and check first..

The first signs that Ducati was not Italian minded was when the new owners selected Akropovic as the default after-market exhaust system. Leaving the traditional Termignoni with much disadvantage, no pre-test engine … Benelli welcomed Termignoni and now work closely together… For elecronics Ducati moved 100% to the German manufacturer Bosch…. Also on other levels Ducati is leaving Italian business in favor of German companies. While Benelli is actually agreed on to us Magneti Marelli for Benelli motorcycles.

Also Benelli signed a exclusive agreement that All luggage marketed for any Benelli motorcycle would be manufactured by Civi Italy.

While a group of manufacturers, (MV Agusta, Piaggio Group and Benelli) try to buy Marzocchi, Ducati is talking with Showa, a company closely related to Honda.

Edited by seedy

Originated from Italy yes sir but who knows where manufactured now.

Compared to all European manufactures, Benelli only produce 20% in Asia. You want to check other numbers, because 78% of Ducati's sold in Thailand are manufactered here... While I can garantee that 99% of all engine parts are produced in China. For all motorcycles currently produced in Thailand.

Benelli was 100% Italian ( design , components , prototypes , testing , development , and production ) for about 100 years. It was financially bailed out by a multi faceted company ( QJ ) a few years ago. As you rightly point out Richard , production in Italy is up 30% for the worldwide market bikes , whilst only 20% of Benellis are made outside of Italy. They pride them selves on using top quality components where possible. I also love Ducati. It is now owned by VAG ( German ) and so they are trying to use as much German components as possible. If Ducati "cheaps out" by using the Honda linked Showa , instead of Ohlins , it wont do them any favours. The Benelli DNA , style and passion is , and always will be , Italian. Same as Ducati is to the largest extent. I think the bikes "nationality" is more about the design team ethos and the components , than its owner company.

Please try to contribute a little more than 3 letters, or one word, when posting.

Posts containing such entries are pointless and make no valuable or worthwhile contribution to this or any thread or this forum community, and will be deleted.

I find it odd that people put down Benelli and say they look cheaply made. it seems most want to, and do their utmost to find faults with the motorcycle brand being Chinese owned. Yet, if you compare components such as the swing arm to other manufacturers such as Honda, Benelli is miles ahead. It is well put together and not disguised with fancy engine covers to make it look better. I have ridden the Benell here and would purchase it over any other bike if i was looking for a street bike. Looks, and Riding pleasure is better bike than the Honda if we are comparing like for like. Additionally, it isn't overpriced as the Ducati is.

The argument tends to be dealers and service. Fair point, but the enjoyment of riding is my priority!

And the other common inexperienced argument is weight on any bike. Best test ride before making tech sheet spec comments. If a bike is balanced well, one weighing 40kg more can be easier to manage than a poorly balanced machine on the road.

Often long established companies go bust in spite of the fact that they make good products, they are either weak on marketing, or at the accounts level, often both.

This is the reason Benelli were taken over by the Chinese consortium, is that a bad thing that they failed and were taken over? I don't think so, on the contrary it becomes the perfect balance, up until the accountants take more than their share of the power.

From what I can see this is what is happening to the likes of Honda, fortunately (for me) their isn't too much fat to trim off the Wave. But the Japs must be worried with what is happening in PRC........

Ducati are trying a different ploy and if they are selling bikes, without selling too much of their souls, everyone should be happy.

There was a display of bikes in Big C Phitsanulok the other day. Some Chinese bikes Keeway,Stallion and a Benelli 300. The Benelli looks like the real deal! If it wasn't for the 139.000 sticker price they would sell a ship load.

But I think I will wait for the Scrambler.....if the price is right!

I made the mistake of buying a new Multistrada in Thailand 2 1/2 years ago.

Great fun to ride but a nightmare for reliability. 4 fuel sensors, heated grips, soft wheels, sticky start switch etc. Resale value was rubbish too as nobody wants the hassle of a 2 year old Ducati. Finally sold it and bought a Super Tenere. Love it to pieces. Would never touch a Ducati again.

There was a display of bikes in Big C Phitsanulok the other day. Some Chinese bikes Keeway,Stallion and a Benelli 300. The Benelli looks like the real deal! If it wasn't for the 139.000 sticker price they would sell a ship load.

I can seem a bit weird, but BigC is the countries biggest motorcycle seller, even Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki know this... so now-a-day you can also buy your Honda CBR300R, Yamaha YZF-R3 or any other bike at BigC.

And by the way Stallion is a Thai motorcycle manufacturer.

My dealer is selling ship loads..

139,000 bht is an absolute bargin.. Still looks as good as new (10 months old now)

Touch wood no problems.

Compared to all European manufactures, Benelli only produce 20% in Asia. You want to check other numbers, because 78% of Ducati's sold in Thailand are manufactered here... While I can garantee that 99% of all engine parts are produced in China. For all motorcycles currently produced in Thailand.

The Honda, etc. fanboys will take you off their Xmas card list !

The Honda, etc. fanboys will take you off their Xmas card list !

Honda Thailand is not really into Christmas celebration, but I'm pretty sure I'm on the companies New Year party list...

Looks like ducati could be for sale soon.. Vw is looking at selling non core assets to save its bacon after the emissions debacle

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I hope you joking, as Lifan offer cash payment of Ducati... 3 times what the German offered.. They also had a 10 year indipendent operaration in place

Got proof for your last sentence?

Take Kawasaki...