What Is An Acceptable Gift?

Inquisitorial

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Thailand and if you prefer not to give money, I would guess whatever else you bring won`t be very much appreciated. Sorry, just being realistic.

You could try giving them some bottles of Johny Walker whiskey, gold label, stuff they can`t normally afford to buy here. The big bottles that is, not the half hearted sizes.

Alcohol might discredit yourself as it is against the religion....Supermarket has these fixed gifts....bird nest soups or something.

Alcohol is very low-so and the women can't take it.

This is Thailand and if you prefer not to give money, I would guess whatever else you bring won`t be very much appreciated. Sorry, just being realistic.

You could try giving them some bottles of Johny Walker whiskey, gold label, stuff they can`t normally afford to buy here. The big bottles that is, not the half hearted sizes.

Alcohol might discredit yourself as it is against the religion....Supermarket has these fixed gifts....bird nest soups or something.

Why can't women drink alcohol ?

I always give chocolate.

And because I am Belgian, I used to give expensive dark chocolate that I brought from home.

Big mistake.

Nowadays I give the very cheap "seashell" chocolate. (Guy Lian style)

Very cheap in Belgium (because mostly sugar), very expensive & trendy in Thailand.

"Guy Lian, the Heineken amongst chocolates".

I like your sarcasm.

People in my wifes office regularly travel overseas on holidays and bring back small non expensive gifts for the office collected during their trips.

From Oz my wife gets requests for licorice (the long lengths of various flavours) and Oz fruit jelly lollies.

They also appreciate Oz keyrings with opal chips, possibly bottle openers for the men.

We brought back emu and roo jerky one time but that didn't seem popular.

More expensive requests from some of the women in her office have been for Lucas Pawpaw ointment and jars of sheep placenta cream.

Edited by Farma

We always take chocolates for family and friends when we return from our 6 - 7 month stint in Europe.

When they saw our vitamins, they started to cadge them off us so now we take vitamins for some close rellies.

Proper football shirts for the men and boys but they are expensive, minimum of €30 and can go up to about €90, but that was a one off only.

Giving alcohol can be difficult as not everyone wants it so some may feel left out and there are customs limits to consider as well.

(Example, my wife is more or less tee total, as are many of her brothers and sisters. Don't forget that if shared, someone has to drive home!)

I suggest that you buy regular boxes of supermarket chocolates, they can be shared or presented to individuals.

€5-10 per person is what we usually spend and that adds up to quite a few kilos in our luggage he he

The other thing we do is arrange a trip to a local restaurant for up to a dozen folk at a time.

Costs 2-3000 Baht, including soft drinks and beer for the rest.

It is well appreciated and gives the family a chance to have a get together and catch up with what's what.

We do this (nam jai) because our family and friends take care of us when we are in Thailand.

They spend their free time driving us around on temple visits, to the beaches, floating markets etc

Not to mention helping us to buy and transport furniture and stuff for the houseand garden as well as the regular grocery shopping.

Nice of you to think about them.

Sounds like you also have a great crew of helpers and supporters.

I Often Come From Hawaii -- And Make The HUGE MISTAKE Of Thinking They

Would Like Something From Hawaii.

I've brought them towels, Hawaiian necklaces and bracelets, chocolate-covered Mac Nuts ..... many things.

I brought "Coach Bags" from Coach Factory Store. They laughed at me. I brought Jewelry from Super Jewelry.

They laughed even harder.

All of them -- friends and family --- just want:

- Very Nice Buffet

- Nice Envelope With THB.

Period.

Don't waste money on giving "Aussie Stuff" or even liquor.

Food & Money.

Period.

What's the budget?

I suggest lunch, or dinner, at a restaurant of a standard they wouldn't normally patronize. It doesn't have to be the best in town, nor street food, just a nice/ish experience for them.

Whatever you give creates a precedent, and takes it toward a more personal relationship, rather than strictly business. I think giving cash creates an expectation....that it will be more next time.

I recall some years ago when I stayed long term in a hotel and on my bi monthly trips home would often buy designer perfume mini's, about five to a pack, A$40, and give them to the girls in reception. It didn't take long for an expectation to be established.

Edited by F4UCorsair

JoeBoxer,

You missed out the most important one!!

If they can't SPEND IT, eat it or wear it, they don't want it!

Reminds me of when I worked in Fiji, and one of the observations passed on by a long time expat was....if the Fijians can't eat it, steal it, or f*** it, they're not interested.

What a silly idea, to give spirits to most thai's is not good for them or their friends, i have seen many thai drink spirits and just go off the rails, gifts that will last and do the family good, even aussie flags are appreciated, just so they can show their friends that they ave friends in aussie.

JoeBoxer,

You missed out the most important one!!

If they can't SPEND IT, eat it or wear it, they don't want it!

Reminds me of when I worked in Fiji, and one of the observations passed on by a long time expat was....if the Fijians can't eat it, steal it, or f*** it, they're not interested.

That would have been the Melanesian Fijians? I quite liked the other half of the population.