Phuket "anti corruption" day.......surely a joke?

xylophone

This from The Phuket Gazette.......

PHUKET: Officials are preparing for a two-day Anti-Corruption campaign that will see public and private sectors come together to take a strong stance against corruption on the island. "In collaboration with the Ministry of Interior, we will be hosting the ‘Phuket International Anti-Corruption Day’ event on December 8 and 9..............

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Officials-prepare-Phuket-International-AntiCorruption-Day/62525

Now let's see, where to start.....................

This will be great if it is a success because there will be no more jetskis on the beach, crooked developers will be held to account and jailed along with land officials issuing fake titles, Tuk Tuk numbers will be scaled back, officials who accept money for allowing businesses to be built on government land on beaches and environs will be jailed, and of course Tea Money will cease to be collected on a monthly basis, and, and............................

Yeah right!!!

I really don't think these people have a clue as to how they are perceived by folk here who really know what's going on.

From the article .......

"“Anyone who would like to join the event is more than welcome.” -

I suggest the OP attends because I am sure his extensive knowledge of all things corrupt will assist when he tells the authorities what,exactly, they should be doing and how.

From the article .......

I suggest the OP attends because I am sure his extensive knowledge of all things corrupt will assist when he tells the authorities what,exactly, they should be doing and how.

No point in turning up because the event is being run by the people who are part of the problem..........but thank you for your suggestion.

Edited by xylophone

From the article .......

No point in turning up because the event is being run by the people who are part of the problem..........but thank you for your suggestion.

Really ?

Do you have positive PROOF of that assertion ?

From the article .......

Really ?

Been here long?

First of all look at the replies here regarding this and this will give you a clue.

Then you may wish to peruse and research other posts regarding corruption in Phuket and find out other folks’ experiences.

In amongst that you will find references to the former mayor of Patong, land officials, developers and the fact that many senior positions in this country (Phuket included) are actually bought because of the return on that purchase.

Of course one mustn't forget the "tea money" paid monthly, but then I'll let you research that particular aspect of Phuket life for yourself.

As for proof………you may wish to ask the friends of mine who pay monthly "tea money" if they have proof. Anyone who complains about this or refuses to pay it is often harassed on a regular basis to ensure that their business becomes untenable.

More proof…….I have been asked for a bribe at Phuket Immigration, which I refused to pay; a friend paid many millions of baht to get off a particularly severe and proven charge and the evidence conveniently went missing and the case was dropped.

Those in power here know what goes on and are complicit in this and if they weren't then all of the things mentioned in my original post would have come to pass.

From the article .......

Really ?

Been here long?

First of all look at the replies here regarding this and this will give you a clue.

Then you may wish to peruse and research other posts regarding corruption in Phuket and find out other folks’ experiences.

In amongst that you will find references to the former mayor of Patong, land officials, developers and the fact that many senior positions in this country (Phuket included) are actually bought because of the return on that purchase.

Of course one mustn't forget the "tea money" paid monthly, but then I'll let you research that particular aspect of Phuket life for yourself.

As for proof………you may wish to ask the friends of mine who pay monthly "tea money" if they have proof. Anyone who complains about this or refuses to pay it is often harassed on a regular basis to ensure that their business becomes untenable.

More proof…….I have been asked for a bribe at Phuket Immigration, which I refused to pay; a friend paid many millions of baht to get off a particularly severe and proven charge and the evidence conveniently went missing and the case was dropped.

Those in power here know what goes on and are complicit in this and if they weren't then all of the things mentioned in my original post would have come to pass.

Thanks !

So, as I first thought, no proof.

Just the unevidenced ranting of a member of the "Conspiracy Club"!

From the article .......

Really ?

Been here long?

Thanks !

So, as I first thought, no proof.

Just the unevidenced ranting of a member of the "Conspiracy Club"!

So land officials here being found guilty of issuing false land titles is not proof?

First-hand experience of corruption by being asked for a bribe to do a job which is free, is not proof?

First-hand (and CCTV) experience of tea money being paid is not proof?

No point in continuing with this with you so let's move along and you can keep your rose tinted glasses firmly in place and let others who really know what goes on here post if they so wish..........their posts will accompany the many hundreds, if not thousands of others on the subject of corruption, but of course you won't be interested in reading or posting any more because there is no corruption here.

xylophone

Thanks !

1. Links to press reports of the court cases which resulted in "land officials"(sic) being found guilty can be found where ?
  2. Was this "first hand" experience of being asked for a "bribe" reported and to whom ?
  3. ​Where is this CCTV "evidence" of "tea money" being paid ? Has this "evidence" been made available to the Authorities ?

How many complains about "corruption" have you lodged at the Damrongtham Centre?

Or maybe you have made your concerns known to the Office of the Ombudsman( Tel: 02-2990400 or Fax 02-2990485)

xylophone

Thanks !

1. Links to press reports of the court cases which resulted in "land officials"(sic) being found guilty can be found where ?
  2. Was this "first hand" experience of being asked for a "bribe" reported and to whom ?
  3. ​Where is this CCTV "evidence" of "tea money" being paid ? Has this "evidence" been made available to the Authorities ?

How many complains about "corruption" have you lodged at the Damrongtham Centre?

Or maybe you have made your concerns known to the Office of the Ombudsman( Tel: 02-2990400 or Fax 02-2990485)

My original post in reply has been removed, however suffice it to say that you are either baiting or you don't really understand how things work here with regards to corruption, because any reporting of it leaves one open to "reprisals" (see the example of a friend's bar in my other post).

Just to refresh your memory, if a bar owner complains about the "tea money" his business is made to suffer as an example to others.

Had I reported the attempted bribe at immigration, it would have been denied and my life would have been made a misery from there on in. As it was because the immigration officer was upset I wouldn't pay it, he made me go back to Patong to get my other bank books and old passport. When I reported back he then made me go downstairs to the photocopier room to copy EVERY page of my recent bank book (not necessary as the majority of them were blank) and once I returned with those he made me go back downstairs again to copy every page of my old bank books (again not necessary).

Once I had done that he then sent me downstairs again to copy every page of my recent passport, and once I got back, he made me go back downstairs to copy every page of my old passport………I'm sure even you can see where this is going; the message being, "don't mess with me because I can do exactly what I want and you are helpless to stop me".

You asked for proof and I provided it and if you want more proof why don't YOU go and speak to the bar owners who have to pay monthly tea money and I'm sure you'll get the response you deserve. Or indeed search the TV forums and you'll come up with plenty of first-hand examples

Last post in response to you on this because it is a pointless exercise.

xylophone

Thanks !

My original post in reply has been removed, however suffice it to say that you are either baiting or you don't really understand how things work here with regards to corruption, because any reporting of it leaves one open to "reprisals" (see the example of a friend's bar in my other post).

Just to refresh your memory, if a bar owner complains about the "tea money" his business is made to suffer as an example to others.

Had I reported the attempted bribe at immigration, it would have been denied and my life would have been made a misery from there on in. As it was because the immigration officer was upset I wouldn't pay it, he made me go back to Patong to get my other bank books and old passport. When I reported back he then made me go downstairs to the photocopier room to copy EVERY page of my recent bank book (not necessary as the majority of them were blank) and once I returned with those he made me go back downstairs again to copy every page of my old bank books (again not necessary).

Once I had done that he then sent me downstairs again to copy every page of my recent passport, and once I got back, he made me go back downstairs to copy every page of my old passport………I'm sure even you can see where this is going; the message being, "don't mess with me because I can do exactly what I want and you are helpless to stop me".

You asked for proof and I provided it and if you want more proof why don't YOU go and speak to the bar owners who have to pay monthly tea money and I'm sure you'll get the response you deserve. Or indeed search the TV forums and you'll come up with plenty of first-hand examples

Yet another diatribe but not one single vestige of Evidence or Proof !

Just for your information a friend of mine runs a large restaurant/bar in Patong!

He and his wife do NOT pay "tea money", but they do close on time and are not involved in any "questionable" activity.

What is your response ? Some stupid comment about them being "well connected" ?

People who complain about "corruption" and claim to posses irrefutable "evidence" but then find weak excuses to do nothing are the root of the problem , if in fact a problem really exists

Edited by expatbrit

xylophone

Thanks !

Just for your information a friend of mine runs a large restaurant/bar in Patong!

He and his wife do pay "tea money", but they do close on time and are not involved in any "questionable" activity.

People who complain about "corruption" and claim to posses irrefutable "evidence" but then find weak excuses to do nothing are the root of the problem , if in fact a problem really exists

LOL you just stated, in your own argument against proof of corruption, that you friend indeed DOES pay! So there is your proof, funny fool.

xylophone

Thanks !

He and his wife do pay "tea money", but they do close on time and are not involved in any "questionable" activity.

LOL you just stated, in your own argument against proof of corruption, that you friend indeed DOES pay! So there is your proof, funny fool.

smile.png Thank you !

A typo which was missed but now corrected.

xylophone

Thanks !

Alarm warning – – credibility alert!!!!

Not only does the poster clearly infer that I am a liar (as he thinks that I should have presented the immigration official with a piece of paper to sign saying that he had tried to extract a bribe from me!) he cannot get his own story straight and as another poster has stated, perhaps he has a history of such posts?

Time for the ignore button on this poster methinks.

xylophone

"Not only does the poster clearly infer that I am a liar (as he thinks that I should have presented the immigration official with a piece of paper to sign saying that he had tried to extract a bribe from me!"

No such thing was said or implied, however, if the cap fits you are welcome to wear it !

Go report corruption to the ombudsman or whomever and see how long it is before you're deported.

Got anything to support that statement ? OR

Could it be ......... Just .................

Yet more "conspiracy theory! coffee1.gif

Proof please that your restaurant owning mate in Patong doesn't pay any extras.........or, do you expect us to take your word for it?

Go report corruption to the ombudsman or whomever and see how long it is before you're deported.

Proof please that your restaurant owning mate in Patong doesn't pay any extras.........or, do you expect us to take your word for it?

You are welcome to PM me and I will arrange a meeting .

Best not to suggest to him that he tells other than the truth.

You are welcome to PM me and I will arrange a meeting .

Best not to suggest to him that he tells other than the truth.

So now you want me to take your mates word for it. Sorry, that isn't proof.

Seems you won't take the word of long time Phuket residents, but, you want us to take you and your mates word.

From the article .......

Really ?

Don't you read the news,The whole place is corrupt ,run by corrupt people,they are born corrupt and learning to more corrupt as they grow up...then they think nothing of it because that's normal living for them.

Seems unfair to suggest that Phuket Anti-Corruption initiatives are a joke.

I am sure all the officials involved in corruption in Phuket are taking it very seriously. I am sure they are "mulling" the many possibilities on an ongoing basis. Maybe they have formed a fresh Corruption Committee with lots of new ideas.

The most important thing is coming together to exchange ideas and experience with each other. In this way the corruption can be more efficiently discussed and the various methods to combat corruption can be thoroughly evaluated and noted by all affected participants.