Expect increased scrutiny of applications for extension

A friend of mine booked in a well known hotel chain in Chiang Rai last week with her farang boyfriend... She booked with her Thai ID, and the hotel didn't asked for any document from the farang, even for him to fill the hotel form. I was present and surprised....

A friend of mine booked in a well known hotel chain in Chiang Rai last week with her farang boyfriend... She booked with her Thai ID, and the hotel didn't asked for any document from the farang, even for him to fill the hotel form. I was present and surprised....

Dont be surprised its become quite common for hotels/resorts to prefer a Thai ID card for couple as it saves them "form filling" for a foreigner.

Ive been here 15 years and a passport was always needed until about 5 years ago. Maybe now that will change.

What surprises m,e in the light of the Pattaya bikie killing is that well know criminals, or those with a dodgy past, can waltz into the country and basically be off the radar. Thailand has always been a haven for the criminal element as long as they were cashed up.

How they get out of their home country is also a concern or maybe its case of good riddance.

Mt wife has used her Thai ID card many times for check in at hotels and I showed nothing. Some though have wanted both my passport and her ID card.

• Like 2

Sorry if this is on the wrong thread. My extension was due on 5th (Saturday) but obviously immigration was closed. Am I correct in thinking immigration will be closed tomorrow and I can go on Tuesday 8th without any penalty/overstay.

You will not be fined for an overstay if you go to immigration on Tuesday since immigration was closed when your permit to stay ended. If you go after Tuesday you will be fined 500 baht for every day.

You could of done your extension early and loose no days. Extensions start from the date you your permit to stay ends.

Scrutiny involving similar criteria has been happening for several months already. Pre-dating the current media IS focus . Given the confusing yes/no announcments maybe due to a national security services operation initiated and/but administered as part of changed "normal" criteria.

Now the rabbits have been spooked the hope may only be they are netted at a borderpoint if and when they run.

If any individuals with a socially dangerous motive singularly or collectively embark on a course to inflict themself/ves murderously with long term pre-meditative planning and enter any country legitimately to do so is an abuse and not a failing of immigration rules.

To eliminate any accusations of such failure would mean closing borders to any entry.

And.... exiting "undesirables" as opportunity arises. wink.png

Which of the above has been happening? Keep your nose/derriere clean and no problem!

The "extra scrutiny" is a new business opportunity for enterprising Immigration officers. Expect new fines to be issued for trivial issues.

What, in your informed wisdom, would these "trivial issues" be ?

Please provide details thus enabling those of us who are not "informed" to avoid the fines.

Thanks

The "extra scrutiny" is a new business opportunity for enterprising Immigration officers. Expect new fines to be issued for trivial issues.

Please provide details thus enabling those of us who are not "informed" to avoid the fines.

Thanks

TM 28/30 submissions, for example.

Thanks

Probably the TM28/TM30 reporting..

People being fined regularly in chiang mai for this vague unworkable law that no one can fully explain.

After the attacks in Bangkok, police recovered 100's of fake passports during their raids.

And, given the seemingly high frequency with which we are required to provide copies of our passport photopages here (and I don't just mean to immigration offices but also to banks, hospitals, hotels etc), is this really a surprise?

These passport copies probably provide all the info fraudsters need to produce fake passports. And who knows of the extent to which those in receipt of photopage copies might yield to the temptation to pass on these details to a fraudster - for a price, of course?

• Like 1

And, given the seemingly high frequency with which we are required to provide copies of our passport photopages here (and I don't just mean to immigration offices but also to banks, hospitals, hotels etc), is this really a surprise?

These passport copies probably provide all the info fraudsters need to produce fake passports. And who knows of the extent to which those in receipt of photopage copies might yield to the temptation to pass on these details to a fraudster - for a price, of course?

I was trying to get some carpet laid the other week. The guy wants a copy of my passport. No thanks. Who's next? Is the som tam guy going to want a copy?

• Like 1

That is good, but I doubt IS suspects would stay too long seeking extensions after their work was done.

Nor before. It's just more dimwittery.

It is not so silly as some may infer. Both the recent attacks in Paris and California, USA required extensive long-term planning.