US Muslims struggle with how they should condemn extremism

webfact

By RACHEL ZOLL

NEW YORK (AP) — By now, the tableau has become tragically familiar: American Muslims standing before a bank of cameras, condemning an attack linked to Islamic extremism.

After the San Bernardino, California, rampage, the local chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations didn't even wait for law enforcement to announce a motive. Just hours after the husband-and-wife shooters were identified as Muslim on Wednesday, the civil rights group held a news conference with the perpetrators' brother-in-law, Farhan Khan.

And so we had a stunned, slightly disheveled Muslim man, surrounded by Muslim leaders, saying his family had no hint of the plot. "I love this country," Khan said.

"Perception is reality," said Salam Al-Marayati, president of the Muslim Public Affairs Council, a policy and advocacy group based in Los Angeles. "There was enough information out there at that time that people believed it was (extremism) and that has an impact on Muslim communities. You have to be proactive."

But some in the Muslim community say a new game plan is needed. A younger generation is especially impatient with the condemnations of Islamic extremism from Muslim groups after every attack. They argue that the statements merely reinforce false notions that Muslims are collectively responsible for the violence.

"America is ready for a more sophisticated conversation when it comes to these things," said Shahed Amanullah, a former U.S. State Department adviser and co-founder of Affinis Labs, which helps develop apps to counter the appeal of Islamic extremism and build online communities for young Muslims. "You can't press release your way out of this."

The public pleas that all Muslims should not be blamed for attacks in the name of Islam grew in the aftermath of the 2001 strikes on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

The attacks occurred at an especially vulnerable moment for the U.S. Muslim community, which was more inwardly focused at the time and not nearly as accepted in American culture as Christianity and Judaism. The few American Muslim groups with any public profile issued a flurry of press releases condemning the attacks and calling Islam a peaceful religion, encouraged mosques to hold open houses, organized interfaith events and held Islam 101 sessions for law enforcement officials and community leaders.

Muslim groups largely kept to script after extremist attacks in places such as London in 2005, Fort Hood, Texas, in 2009, Boston in 2013 and, most recently, last month in Paris.

But many Americans continued to blame Islam itself for extremism. A Pew Research Center survey last year found an increasing share of Americans believe Islam is more likely than other religion to encourage violence among its followers. A growing number of U.S. Muslims resented suggestions that they had a special obligation to condemn attacks — no other religious group, they argued, is expected to issue such statements after self-professed followers of their faiths commit a crime.

At a Georgetown University event last month on anti-Muslim bias, speaker Linda Sarsour said she struggled with Muslims who take part in such news conferences.

"It reinforces the fallacy that I have something in common with" the Islamic State group, said Sarsour, a prominent Muslim leader from New York. She said she condemns terrorism not as a Muslim, but "as a human" who is outraged and saddened by violence. The audience applauded.

Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the national Council on American-Islamic Relations, the civil rights group that is the primary force behind the condemnations and news conferences, said he is well aware of the criticism. He said every time his organization posts a statement on Facebook condemning Islamic extremists, commenters complain: "We shouldn't have to do this. You're feeding into a false linkage of Islam to terrorism."

At the same time, Hooper said, "I'm getting hate calls all day long saying, 'Sure you condemn terrorism, but we don't believe you.'"

Since the Paris attacks, and after the California assault, U.S. Muslim leaders have been reporting a fresh outburst of threats and vandalism at mosques.

"To remain silent — I don't think that's a viable alternative, especially when the New York Post front page screams 'Muslim Killers,'" as it did after the San Bernardino shootings, Hooper said.

But Amanullah said in the wake of such attacks, Muslim groups should not be preoccupied with protecting Muslims from a backlash. They should instead join the broader discussion, emphasizing shared concerns about preventing violence, while also doing something to help, he said.

"I think the average American, when they see that Muslims are acting like other Americans and not any different, I think that would resonate with people," Amanullah said. "I think it's organically happening with younger generations of Muslims. Younger Muslims are investing in broader struggles in this country." He pointed to a recent Ramadan fundraising drive among American Muslims to raise money to rebuild black churches that have been the target of arson.

"That's the kind of stuff that changes hearts — doing blood drives, cleaning up neighborhoods, tutoring people," he said.

Tarek El-Messidi, 35, an American Muslim leader from Knoxville, Tennessee, serves as one example. Through his organization Celebrate Mercy, which teaches about the Prophet Muhammad, he used social media to urge Muslims to send condolence letters to the family of Ambassador Chris Stevens, who was killed along with three others in the 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, Libya. The effort drew 7,700 letters from 115 countries, El-Messidi said.

After this year's killings in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, of three young American Muslims who had been focused on public service, El-Messidi helped create the "Feed Their Legacy" effort, which organized canned food drives in honor of the victims among mosques in 30 states. He said about 200,000 meals were provided for the poor.

"The narrative is being defined for us, and we're being defined by these extremist acts and the poll numbers show that," El-Messidi said. "I personally do feel like condemning is an unfortunate necessity right now because our community is misunderstood. But I think that's partially the Muslims' fault because we're not changing the narrative. Condemning is just a Band-Aid solution. It feels like putting a Band-Aid over a tumor."

For Asra Nomani, an advocate of Islamic reform and author of "Standing Alone: An American Woman's Struggle for the Soul of Islam," the deeper problem is an unwillingness of American Muslims to truly confront extremism in the religion. Resistance to issuing the condemnations, she said, is a sign of denial about what's wrong with how the religion is being interpreted.

"I disagree with that whole logic of people who say we don't need to apologize and we don't need to condemn it," Nomani said. "We're not owning up to the problem when we say: 'This isn't my Islam. I didn't pull the trigger. I don't believe in extremist ideas.' I think we're setting ourselves up for this animosity that comes our way."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-07

They should condemn it unequivocally, without if and buts, hesitations or reservation and acknowledge

radical muslim terror.....

Not the first cab off the rank on this one. Did we seep in this morning?

"They should condemn it unequivocally..."

Why?

In all the posts by the anti-muslim brigade, I have never seen unequivocal, unreserved, unhesitating condemnation of Jewish terrorists. From all those posters, I have never seen calls against religious hate speech against women's reproductive rights and how it inspires Christian terrorists to murder health care workers in the name of their ideology. I certainly never heard that brigade condemning religiously inspired hated against LGBT people during the many debates on marriage equality.

Muslim people live their lives like we do. They have the same aspirations, hopes and dreams. Most of them, however, do not have the benefits of living in liberal democracies with legal recognition of human rights and sound economic policies that create wealth and opportunity.

You want condemnation of radical, ideologically inspired terrorism? You get them all the time. Religious leaders in the UK, Australia, Europe, American and elsewhere continually condemn terrorist attacks. Bigots, however, ignore these because it doesn't suit their world view and mission to spread their hatred and nastiness around unchecked.

Struggle? How about "We condemn those who use violence against innocent people and will work closely with authorities to stop these animals"? See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Inconvenient truth is that much of their holy book condones this sort of jihad, and the book can't be amended, revised, or altered in any way. I condemn Israeli actions, which are often within spitting distance of Nazi tactics.

Edited by Emster23

They should condemn it unequivocally, without if and buts, hesitations or reservation and acknowledge

Ermmm....they are. The OP is about the debate that has arisen with regard to how they condemn it.

One view, quoted below, seems reasonable to me.

""It reinforces the fallacy that I have something in common with" the Islamic State group, said Sarsour, a prominent Muslim leader from New York. She said she condemns terrorism not as a Muslim, but "as a human" who is outraged and saddened by violence. "

Thats easy, those peaceful followers of Mohamed and Allah, who condemn islamic extrememists, and don't want to be tared with the same brush, or have social problems that come with it.

Change the name of your relgion to something else that is no longer linked islamic extrememists, also have a precept in your teaching that condems and reports islamic extrememists, to the authorities.

Since the Paris attacks, and after the California assault, U.S. Muslim leaders have been reporting a fresh outburst of threats and vandalism at mosques.

Name one, which hasn't been identified as a hoax. And I don't mean something like "someone bumped my foot with a shopping cart," which was used as an example a few weeks ago.

If you have to ask why "lostboy" then you are hopelessly lost and couldn't possibly understand a reasoned explanation.

"...no other religious group, they argued, is expected to issue such statements after self-professed followers of their faiths commit a crime..."

No other religious group in the world today, by a huge margin, is causing so much carnage throughout the world as is people belonging to the Muslim religion. If you can't understand the need to be extremely proactive in being the first to condemn and participate in helping stem the tide of extremism amongst your own followers then you are condoning it by your lack of response.

Asra Nomani has it 100% correct.

lostboy, on 07 Dec 2015 - 08:07, said:
ezzra, on 07 Dec 2015 - 07:15, said:

Why?

In all the posts by the anti-muslim brigade, I have never seen unequivocal, unreserved, unhesitating condemnation of Jewish terrorists. From all those posters, I have never seen calls against religious hate speech against women's reproductive rights and how it inspires Christian terrorists to murder health care workers in the name of their ideology. I certainly never heard that brigade condemning religiously inspired hated against LGBT people during the many debates on marriage equality.

Muslim people live their lives like we do. They have the same aspirations, hopes and dreams. Most of them, however, do not have the benefits of living in liberal democracies with legal recognition of human rights and sound economic policies that create wealth and opportunity.

You want condemnation of radical, ideologically inspired terrorism? You get them all the time. Religious leaders in the UK, Australia, Europe, American and elsewhere continually condemn terrorist attacks. Bigots, however, ignore these because it doesn't suit their world view and mission to spread their hatred and nastiness around unchecked.

This post immediately brought back memories of a certain section of the community in N.Ireland, who would happily hurl abuse like '' Brit B@stard '' as the stood in line at the Post Office waiting to cash their British issue Giro.

Utter hypocrisy.

Large numbers of Religious Leaders around the world are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

There are some disturbing passages in the Koran on how to treat apostates, 'unbelievers' and Islam dominating everyone else by solipsistic virtue alone. These passages are centuries old, from medieval times, as is the whole book. And these passages are used to justify and give credence to the extremists.

The problem is, that there is no acknowledgement that times have changed since, that societies and cultures have progressed and that there should be a reform/reinterpretation of the book by Islamic scholars. But you can't touch it, the book is holy, and to question is to blaspheme...

So, here is the choice for the religious Muslims worldwide: reform your religion, or continue to be put in the same bag with extremists.

The other choice is of course for Muslims to win that war and wipe everyone else out, just like the book says.

Actions speak louder than words and public relations... When muslims actively root out the extremists in their community by publicly identifying them, shaming them, condemning them and kicking them out of their religion for betraying the message of peace before they act, then we will begin to appreciate their true commitment...

The idea that you can commit the most evil act, genocide, to attain the most saintly selfless status is truly insane... they should unrelentingly oppose this idea and anyone who advocates it with unequivocal intensity from the rooftops...

Edited by arend

But a good fraction of them agree, or partially agree or at least understand it......

I would suggest the so called moderates find true moderates to represent them instead of letting self-appointed suit and tie Jihaddists, such as CAIR do so. As it stands from the outside looking in scores of people are murdered by Islamic terrorists on a frequent basis. But we get fears of backlash, whining about Islamophobia plus a set menu of complaints, alleged victimization etc.

I would suggest Zudhi Jasser may fit the bill, but he is regarded as an Uncle Tom by just about every practicing Muslim, whilst those who are secular or not religious would rather get on with their own lives rather than be stalked by the radicals let into the Country with scarcely a worthwhile background check.

There are some disturbing passages in the Koran on how to treat apostates, 'unbelievers' and Islam dominating everyone else by solipsistic virtue alone. These passages are centuries old, from medieval times, as is the whole book. And these passages are used to justify and give credence to the extremists.

The problem is, that there is no acknowledgement that times have changed since, that societies and cultures have progressed and that there should be a reform/reinterpretation of the book by Islamic scholars. But you can't touch it, the book is holy, and to question is to blaspheme...

So, here is the choice for the religious Muslims worldwide: reform your religion, or continue to be put in the same bag with extremists.

The other choice is of course for Muslims to win that war and wipe everyone else out, just like the book says.

They see it different....they think that are true values and the western people are degenerated, weak, immoral and dirty (pig-eater). I think there is not much will to change it and the moderate Muslims are not very willing to do something because they are moderate as they don't care that much. Not different than the usual moderate Christ, who goes the church at Christmas and when he marries, but really don't want to change the bible, as he never read it....

I live among Muslims. They are peaceful, wonderful people and my friends.

The Muslim religion doesn't preach hate and murder. Extremists in any religion who preach violence are wrong. "You ain't no Muslim bruv, you're an embarrassment" called out by a Muslim to the London idiot with a knife, nails all this xenophobic hate perfectly. Put the bigotry aside and stop blaming an entire religion for the actions of a few.

I read the cowardly rants by the wingnuts and just feel sorry for them. bah.gif

I didn't hear any of the Christian "forced birthers" apologizing for the crazy man who shot up the Planned Parenthood clinic. Why is that different than all the manufactured outrage of not having all the Muslims apologize?

Edited by Pinot

Pinot, on 07 Dec 2015 - 13:21, said:

The Muslim religion doesn't preach hate and murder. Extremists in any religion who preach violence are wrong. "You ain't no Muslim bruv, you're an embarrassment" called out by a Muslim to the London idiot with a knife, nails all this xenophobic hate perfectly. Put the bigotry aside and stop blaming an entire religion for the actions of a few.

I didn't hear any of the Christian "forced birthers" apologizing for the crazy man who shot up the Planned Parenthood clinic. Why is that different than all the manufactured outrage of not having all the Muslims apologize?

The Muslim religion does not preach hate and murder

Sadly that statement is the very reason that many people are turning against Muslims. If it was a one off incident, it could certainly be justified. With atrocities being carried out worldwide in the name of Islam, it is beyond belief that anyone could even consider that there are no Muslims that preach hate and murder.

I do not believe that it has anything to do with bigotry. So you can put that argument to bed. If you were to say that people were getting sick and tired, and there is a growing hatred towards a group of Muslims carrying out atrocities in the name of Islam I would agree with you.

Whether we think these people are Muslims or not is immaterial, it is what they think and they certainly think that they are Muslims and are following Islamic teachings.

The very question being asked is WHY there is a problem. People who move to America do so to become Americans. (the legal 1s anyway) Everybody in America figuritively speaking, are condeming the acts in the same way, shape and form.

All other ethnisities in America are called "Ethnic Background-Americans". So WHY are they the only group that names themselves religiously? Therein may lie the secret to them not being linked to islamic terrorist.

If they were Pakastani-Americans, Suadi-Americans, Lybian-Americans, etc. it MIGHT cut back on the mis-trust of naming themselves proudly and loudly the same as the terrorists.

Can you imagine the amount of confusion it would cause most Americans trying to figure out if so-and-so is from a good country or a bad country. There's be demographic maps created and presented on CNN and FOX like they do for the presidential campaigns.

But seriously, catholics in America, Christians in America, Mormons in America and Buddhists in America are all condeming it in the same way. Tough thing to figure out is WHY they're so afraid of publicly condeming religious brethern rather than standing with their chosen country brethern.

Explain that to the Turkish soccer fans who shouted Allah Akbar when they were asked for a minute of silence for the victims.

Religion doesn't preach people does and the Quran has some very violent parts.....You can preach the violent part or the peaceful part.

Why?

I do not believe you are following the Australian press closely - the reported criticism by religious leaders of the Islamic faith is not exactly edifying and varies between unconvincing and inadequate. Equally the press I have followed elsewhere ( as in this referred article from the USA ) but including Europe does not inspire the idea they intend to integrate into their 'host nations' anytime soon. Indeed if you peruse the Koran you have the answer you may not wish to see.

The other faiths do have their own idiots and murderers but I have seen condemnation in the strongest terms. Still a work in progress on many issues I will grant you, a lot more work on child abuse is needed. The benefits of living in a liberal democracy are not achieved without a struggle, but for most folk of Muslim persuasion, the enticement of the western welfare is perhaps understandable but fails to change status quo in their homelands. What I think most westerners ( your ref 'anti-Muslim brigade' ) have a problem with is their failure to appreciate the differences in their 'new' home and pointing out the weakness of their hosts in observing human rights and mostly equality between the sexes.

A Muslim colleague once told me that " Islam is the best religion with Muslims being the worst followers " - all of course borrowed from George Bernard Shaw but uttered by a educated and enlightened Muslim.

If Muslims in America are really concerned about extremism this should be no problem. If America is so bad just go back to your homelands and you would never have to suffer again. Complaining about this does not help your life or your religion!It is a lot worse if a non believer lives in a Muslim country. The good Muslims just kill them!

Edited by Nobb

Most Nazis were probably just average people who had no interest in carrying out atrocities. Most Christians did not go on the crusades and were and are just regular people trying to get on with the business of life. The arguement that, oh some of my best friends are Muslims doesn't really work. The problem isn;t with you rMsulims freinds its about those who apply the religion to the letter. However, it regretable that there is a certain kind of unwillingness among most people, no matter what their faith or nationality or persuasion to really look at the fine print of who you say are aligning with, whether it be Islam or the American government about whom you might feel is so good and that it is so democratic and on the side of right etc. But if American Muslims are doing some soul searching, as far as I can see, the major flaw with Islam, despite all the lovely Muslims that we all have befriended all our lives and what not, is a book that is central to their professed faith that they have been coerced into or signed on with, the Quran. And that book contains no less than 10 clearly stated calls for Muslims to kill non-Muslims, does it not? If I were a Muslim, I would also be thinking about whether I wanted that in my life. It is not Islamophobia to be concerned about Islam, it is just the truth about Islam, it calls on all Muslims to wage war against non-Muslims and those who don't practice Islam correctly. It is something that the sooner people realize that and stop denying, the sooner we will be able to meet Islam on its own terms. At this point, I think people are starting to realize that they have been fed a line about Islam by their university educators by their news media and politicians. We only have our non-curiosity to blame that we don't know otherwise. Doesn't take much digging to find what Islam is about and that ISIS are not, as the media claims, just ruthless opportunists who use the name of Islam to legitimize themselves. They are clearly doing what the Quran asks them to do, no?

Most Nazis were probably just average people who had no interest in carrying out atrocities. Most Christians did not go on the crusades and were and are just regular people trying to get on with the business of life. The arguement that, oh some of my best friends are Muslims doesn't really work. The problem isn;t with you rMsulims freinds its about those who apply the religion to the letter. However, it regretable that there is a certain kind of unwillingness among most people, no matter what their faith or nationality or persuasion to really look at the fine print of who you say are aligning with, whether it be Islam or the American government about whom you might feel is so good and that it is so democratic and on the side of right etc. But if American Muslims are doing some soul searching, as far as I can see, the major flaw with Islam, despite all the lovely Muslims that we all have befriended all our lives and what not, is a book that is central to their professed faith that they have been coerced into or signed on with, the Quran. And that book contains no less than 10 clearly stated calls for Muslims to kill non-Muslims, does it not? If I were a Muslim, I would also be thinking about whether I wanted that in my life. It is not Islamophobia to be concerned about Islam, it is just the truth about Islam, it calls on all Muslims to wage war against non-Muslims and those who don't practice Islam correctly. It is something that the sooner people realize that and stop denying, the sooner we will be able to meet Islam on its own terms. At this point, I think people are starting to realize that they have been fed a line about Islam by their university educators by their news media and politicians. We only have our non-curiosity to blame that we don't know otherwise. Doesn't take much digging to find what Islam is about and that ISIS are not, as the media claims, just ruthless opportunists who use the name of Islam to legitimize themselves. They are clearly doing what the Quran asks them to do, no?

http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

Looks like the Christians have some explaining to do as well about their inciting manual.

If you have to ask why "lostboy" then you are hopelessly lost and couldn't possibly understand a reasoned explanation.

"...no other religious group, they argued, is expected to issue such statements after self-professed followers of their faiths commit a crime..."

No other religious group in the world today, by a huge margin, is causing so much carnage throughout the world as is people belonging to the Muslim religion. If you can't understand the need to be extremely proactive in being the first to condemn and participate in helping stem the tide of extremism amongst your own followers then you are condoning it by your lack of response.

It is not just muslims being terrorists. It is committing terrorist acts in the name of their religion.

Which other religious group has so many followers who commit cruel crimes in the name of their religion?

(I am, not talking about the past)

Edited by sweatalot

You assume Muslim communities want to adopt the Western liberal democratic model. You will find that 2nd generation muslims in the US and other countries to which they have emigrated, will mostly want this. But not all and and maybe not the entire package. That is their right as citizens of a nation to follow their beliefs and participate in the political process.

Asra Nomani embraces Western liberal democratic traditions. I enjoyed watching her on Bill Maher a few weeks back. She is strong, articulate and confident person and speaker. She is clearly a threat to those who oppose our traditions and ways of life. More people like her can make a difference, sure. But to impose a requirement on all muslims to be like her is just plainly ridiculous. You cultural imperialism will not affect change. Your expectations of what other cultures should do to mirror your culture is ethnocentric and leads to racism.

I don't know why you put those quotes under my name. I didn't say any of that. Your dismissal of me as not capable of understanding reasonable explanation, by which I guess you mean 'your viewpoint' really closes off any potential for discussion.

I chose my TVF name on purpose. It has meaning and represents something personal and traumatic. It does not in any way represent my cognitive abilities. Are you sure you were arguing a point with me or another poster?