Ringo Starr possessions fetch $9.2m at auction

webfact

Ringo Starr possessions fetch $9.2m at auction

NEW YORK: -- An auction of more than 1,300 clothes, instruments, pieces of jewellery and other items owned by Ringo Starr has raised a total of $9.2m (£6.1m).

The highlight of the sale was a drum kit played by Starr on many Beatles hits, which fetched $2.1m (£1.4m).

A Rickenbacker guitar once owned by John Lennon made $910,000 (£600,000).

Starr's copy of The White Album, numbered 0000001, sold for $790,000 (£525,000) - which is thought to make it the most expensive record ever sold.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35019638

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-12-07

Poor old Ringo, He must have been running a bit low on cash and had to run a garage sale to put a few bob together, to tide him over for the up coming Holidays.

Aye, but it were proper kit on sale...Luxury!!gigglem.gif

Poor old Ringo, He must have been running a bit low on cash and had to run a garage sale to put a few bob together, to tide him over for the up coming Holidays.

Aye, but it were proper kit on sale...Luxury!!gigglem.gif

doesn't say what % the 'portion' is

A portion of the proceeds from the auction will go to Starr and wife Barbara Bach's charity The Lotus Foundation, which says it aims to advance "social welfare" in a wide range of areas including substance abuse, cancer, cerebral palsy, domestic abuse and animal protection.

I need to say something to those so critical of Ringo as a drummer.

Ringo was a very good drummer.

He was playing as a professional when the resst of the Beatles were still amatures.

He was exactly what the Beatles needed to "make it" and even Lennon and Mc Cartny said so.

He was able to addapt to the styles of three different composers, Lennon, Mc Cartney and Harrison, and they never told him what or how to play.

He was not a "look at me drummer" like a John Bonham or Kieth Moon.

Infact, he only ever did one drum solo, on the song "The End" on the Abby Road album.

Ringo didn't like drum solos..(neither do I).

Ringo played exactly what he needed to play, how it needed to be played when it needed to be played.

That is what a really good drummer does.

Can any of those who critize his playing point out any errors he ever made?

Can any of you play drums any better?

The man did a great job.

He had a great carreer.

Now, in his late 70s, he is giving to charrity.

I say "Kudos to Richard Starky!"

Starr's copy of The White Album, numbered 0000001, sold for $790,000 (£525,000) - which is thought to make it the most expensive record ever sold.

The Wu Tang Clan just released an album, the total print was for one copy which was sealed in a safe and sold at auction for $2m.

The owner cannot release it publicly for 30 years.

It is the most expensive album ever sold.

Ringo was/is a great rock drummer. His work with the Beatles has stood the test of time better than the vast majority of his peers. He is an amazing entertainer whose live tours, always accompanied by a whose who of musicians, sell out for good reason.

On 'The making of Sgt. Pepper ' album , Roger Taylor the drummer of Queen said Ringo Starr was brilliant on A day in the life. On the first Beatles hit or two ( Love me Do and possibly Please Please me ) a substitute drummer was used as RS was no good. The original drummer died a few weeks ago. I think RS filled the position of drummer with the Beatles ok but he was only adequate.Oh and i was a drummer in a band in the '60s. Come to think of it I am still in my 60's.

• 4 months later...

Ringo's giveaways

2015 Top 10 UK celebrity donors:

1.Elton John - £26.8m

2. J.K. Rowling - £10.3m

3. David Beckham - £5.0m

4. Martin Lewis - £2.5m

5. Coldplay - £1.7m

6. Ringo Starr - £1.6m

7. Jamie Oliver - £1.4m

8.Rory McIlroy - £1.0m

9. Colin Montgomerie - £0.9m