Chinese Tourist Dies After Being Hit by Songtaew in Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to come across a single pedestrian crossing in CM that has automated lights that permit a pedestrian to safely cross the road.

Outside the school in Huay Keow Road.

Look for yourself.

And at Chiang Mai gate traffic lights and further down the moat road by the hospital. On both sides. Talk about providing false information.

Those are automated ie computer controlled or hand operated ???

Sorry for the lady. R.I.P.

Sorry it had to be a Chinese.

This can happen any day with any other person.

Songteaw drivers going from right to left not using indicators because they see a potential customer , not having brake lights etc , etc.

Lets hope he had insurance for the family of the victim.

He will probably have compulsory insurance that pays out a pittance for a life.

I almost nailed one at Doi Sutep , walked right out in front of me looking at her cell phone . Looked up saw me coming and did nothing to get out of the way .. just amazing . They also should put a sign onthe pedestrian crossings , red lights are onlysugestions to aproaching traffic cross at your own risk..

Doesn't matter if you make the wrong move or the right move the roads in this country are dangerous. Chiang Mai might not be as bad as Phuket but everywhere in this country too many tourists get mowed down.

One of my closest mates, a great American guy who loved Thailand Gary Kramer was hit and run by a drunk young Thai guy standing next to his bike in front of Loco Elvis in Aug 2014. The guy turned himself in a few days later and my friend's mom showed him a photo of the top of his smashed brain after they removed the top of his scull due to swelling. $200,000 medivac flight to Baylor Hospital in Texas, 4.5 months in a coma and eventually died of his injuries. Mom got 50,000 baht from the Thai family and the police made her do the deal in the parking lot of the police station asked for the money in a paper bag and took 10,000 commission. Thai guy walked free, Gary's family and friends devastated.

This accident didnt even make the news. Imagine the tables turned and a drunk farang hit the Thai. Front page news, TV, dramatic reenactment, jail, massive fine, maybe some new law or rule against farang.

Do pedestrians still not have "right of way" over vehicles, as in most countries?

"You have to always be aware and looking... looking.. It sometimes seems that the traffic laws.. .are only traffic suggestions... " from Post #14

"Most Countries" have enforcement. Thailand has the RTP.

I almost nailed one at Doi Sutep , walked right out in front of me looking at her cell phone . Looked up saw me coming and did nothing to get out of the way .. just amazing . They also should put a sign onthe pedestrian crossings , red lights are onlysugestions to aproaching traffic cross at your own risk..

I think they should do away with traffic lights around town, they are a risk to everyone especially pedestrians who assume they will stop on a red!

Do pedestrians still not have "right of way" over vehicles, as in most countries?

I'd completely thrown the concept of right-of-way out the window in my first week in Chiang Mai after having a motorcycle miss me by inches when I was crossing the street in a cross-walk with the 'green' in my direction. The motorcycle came between two trucks and ran the red light almost hitting me. I could feel the wind shear has the motorcycle screamed by. I still cringe just thinking about it. That was one of three times that I've come close to getting killed. The other two times were while working as a logger on the Olympic Peninsula. Working logging was dangerous on a good day, so close calls were just part of the experience, but almost getting taken out at a marked crosswalk with the green "Walk" light flashing...that I didn't expect.

Me at the time? Fresh off the boat I'm afraid. From that moment on, I've always looked at traffic while in a pedestrian crossing, and I've learned to look both ways even when crossing a one-way street. It's suicide not too.

RIP lady, but like the other posters have said, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often to Chinese tourists.

Edited by connda

In the west I looked both ways I've doubled that to 4x here. Sometimes that's not even enough!

You're right. You have a green light in your direction, look both ways 4x and then get hit from the rear by a motorcycle coming out of a side soi while your still on the sidewalk. Mayhem, in Thailand, comes from the direction you are not looking no matter how diligent you are.

Doesn't matter if you make the wrong move or the right move the roads in this country are dangerous. Chiang Mai might not be as bad as Phuket but everywhere in this country too many tourists get mowed down.

One of my closest mates, a great American guy who loved Thailand Gary Kramer was hit and run by a drunk young Thai guy standing next to his bike in front of Loco Elvis in Aug 2014. The guy turned himself in a few days later and my friend's mom showed him a photo of the top of his smashed brain after they removed the top of his scull due to swelling. $200,000 medivac flight to Baylor Hospital in Texas, 4.5 months in a coma and eventually died of his injuries. Mom got 50,000 baht from the Thai family and the police made her do the deal in the parking lot of the police station asked for the money in a paper bag and took 10,000 commission. Thai guy walked free, Gary's family and friends devastated.

This accident didnt even make the news. Imagine the tables turned and a drunk farang hit the Thai. Front page news, TV, dramatic reenactment, jail, massive fine, maybe some new law or rule against farang.

That's truly tragic. However, the 40K THB that his mom got may have 'bought justice' in this county not that I'd condone such action. Just saying... ermm.gif Makes me wonder how lower-class Thai families take care of injustices. Mai bpen rai? Why do I think not.

Sounds like she didn't attempt to take it to a Thai court, but settled outside of court. She got taken advantage of on top of losing her son. That is really heart-wrenching. I'm sorry.

Edited by connda

That's truly tragic. However, the 40K THB that his mom got may have 'bought justice' in this county not that I'd condone such action. Just saying... ermm.gif Makes me wonder how lower-class Thai families take care of injustices. Mai bpen rai? Why do I think not.

Sounds like she didn't attempt to take it to a Thai court, but settled outside of court. She got taken advantage of on top of losing her son. That is really heart-wrenching. I'm sorry.

Hang on a minute, so she took a minuscule amount of money? Doesn't anyone think that that's a bit odd? People who can be bought for less than the flight over here are not right in the head or not people who're worthy of your feeling sorry for them. It probably cost more than that to fix the dent in the car.

I have yet to come across a single pedestrian crossing in CM that has automated lights that permit a pedestrian to safely cross the road.

Look for yourself.

And at Chiang Mai gate traffic lights and further down the moat road by the hospital. On both sides. Talk about providing false information.

You're right stephenterry. This has turned into a total w*nkathon of idiotic comments. Anyone would think that this forum's full of people sitting in a room with the TV and a little slave running about doing everything for them, who they bought with a portion of their retirement money, and have no pride what so ever, so just say anything about anything, with no thought of it demeaning themselves. One up before this made what I presume they thought was a deeply profound comment about "it had to happen sooner or later". I don't know who I feel more sorry for. My friend who used to live here said the place is a loser magnet. I can't complain and should know better I suppose, but then again, some of the people commenting are very helpful and know a lot of actual stuff and are OK.

Being an elderly Chinese person, for most of her life she would have encountered throngs of bicycles only, but few of the faster moving motorised vehicles. Also, traffic in China is on the right-hand side, unlike here, although many Chinese pedestrians do take risks, such as crossing against the red pedestrian light.

i am sure when everyone on here dies, we will all make fun of you as well!!!

shame on all of you!!!!!

In a buddhist country you act like this!!!!

You came to Thailand to be a better person......it didn't work!!!!!

coffee1.gif

I agree, it was shameful of those making fun of the victim who died. But there’s no need to ‘tar us all with the same brush’ by saying, “…everyone on here”. We are not all the same at all.

You could also say it would be shameful to act like this in a Christian country. Also, I think few of the members would’ve come to Thailand to be a better person; I came here to try and find a partner and a job in my career. But your first point about the heartless making fun of the victim is your main point and a worthy contribution.

so sorry for the Chinese lady,RIP,but can some one explain to me why the Chinese have no road sense at all,they seem to have no fear of the traffic,and will walk just about anywere in the road and cross at any time,with out looking,i gave a lift to a thai lady yesterday,and she could not belive the risk the tourists were taking.crossing nimman road.but its not only there,and I no from experience thai motorists,hate stopping for any thing.especially pedestrians.

Been to China many times. It's not an unfriendly place overall, but certainly still disorganized in most ways.

Look for yourself.

Trouble is that the "automated lights" don't stop the cars and motorbikes from whizzing thru when they're flashing. They really need gates that come down like at a railway crossing.

Look for yourself.

Yes.... there are lights.... you push the button and it makes a sound while giving the traffic the red light and giving walking time for people to cross the street... There is the one at Malin Plaza (residence) to cross to the other side... and a few at Tha Phae Gate and the school and mall on Huay Kaew Road and other places around Chiang Mai. I don't know why the other person said they haven't seen them in Chiang Mai. They might not be safe.. .as a driver can still blast through them.. as I saw for myself.... but they are indeed crossing lights...

Look for yourself.

Trouble is that the "automated lights" don't stop the cars and motorbikes from whizzing thru when they're flashing. They really need gates that come down like at a railway crossing.

Not accurate, Nancy. The Chiang Mai gate traffic lights are safe for pedestrians because the traffic flow is slow enough in the daytime to stop. I've crossed there or driven past them hundreds of times. Similarly, the lights on the park side of the moat are mainly observed, because the traffic has not built up a lot of speed. Pedestrians wanting to cross the ones on the hospital side need to take more care because there are speeders (as is the norm here), and probably would not be suitable for the slower elderly and infirm. Round the park bend there's another traffic light that school children use to cross, and that's observed very well.

The problem with gates that come down (if it was possible to construct some covering four lanes of traffic) is that cars and bikes could be stranded in the middle causing a blockage, or worse, damage (eventually). I think that is a most impractical solution.

Maybe a better idea is don't be a pedestrian that needs or wants to cross the road!

Look for yourself.

Yes.... there are lights.... you push the button and it makes a sound while giving the traffic the red light and giving walking time for people to cross the street... There is the one at Malin Plaza (residence) to cross to the other side... and a few at Tha Phae Gate and the school and mall on Huay Kaew Road and other places around Chiang Mai. I don't know why the other person said they haven't seen them in Chiang Mai. They might not be safe.. .as a driver can still blast through them.. as I saw for myself.... but they are indeed crossing lights...

There are actually crossing lights in the sense of their existence , but in effect , they are not crossing lights , because when the light is red, cars dont actually stop.

The way to cross on a red light is to look at the driver coming towards you, make sure you make eye contact . Point up to the red light , then hold the palm of your hand up , make sure the driver is slowing down , walk out slowly into the road , stop when you get past that car , then do the same for any other cars approaching , all the time, keeping a look out for motorcyclists

Look for yourself.

-----preferably right across the roof of a speeding car....

ps .....and very hard.