Chain maintenance on Honda wave

Ooladolla

I agree with Norman but don't even think of buying specific chain lube as a can of it will cost more than a new chain for a Wave.

Use any lube readily to hand. High viscosity is better. Clean the chain before applying.

I use EP90 gear oil secondhand from tractor oil changes.

Pull the rubber plug for access.

Small shops will squirt some used motor oil on for next to nothing.

It' fine.

Have them lube it at each oil change and lube the kick-stands,

but unlikely they will volunteer.

Maybe have them check/set chain tension.

Those Wave chain shrouds help a lot.

;-)

Can of chain lube 160 baht, New grade B chain 200 baht. New grade A chain and sprkt set 375 baht.

Engine oil change every 2k kms. Papa Al, are you suggesting lubing a chain every 2k kms? My advice is the chain is lubed every time it is adjusted. Any of the above lube suggestions are better than nothing.

It depends on how hard you ride, I am "George Gently" and my chain needs adjusting about once a year (about 5000km) but checked every service (3000ish km) until is starts to wear then more often. I finally changed it all after 23,000km and like Papa just use oil.

If you live in a dust bowl and ride hard, then obviously more often will be necessary and yes proper chain lube is best there too, but 22-23k on a chain/sprockets using oil is pretty good.

Our Wave just hit 25,000, with 90% town riding, still rides close to new....

Can of chain lube 160 baht, New grade B chain 200 baht. New grade A chain and sprkt set 375 baht.

Engine oil change every 2k kms. Papa Al, are you suggesting lubing a chain every 2k kms? My advice is the chain is lubed every time it is adjusted. Any of the above lube suggestions are better than nothing.

T

might as well have the boys oil the chain and kickstand @ oil change, sure.

But, my friend rode Wave110 23+Kkm and never oiled or adjusted chain at all, y no probs.

he says.

papa's ceeber has DIY auto-oiler.

give it a squirt every couple hunnert kms, n before and after wetness.

Strangely gratifying.

small bike so papa tends to run at higher power range, hence really pulling on that smallish chain.

It depends on how hard you ride, I am "George Gently" and my chain needs adjusting about once a year (about 5000km) but checked every service (3000ish km) until is starts to wear then more often. I finally changed it all after 23,000km and like Papa just use oil.

If you live in a dust bowl and ride hard, then obviously more often will be necessary and yes proper chain lube is best there too, but 22-23k on a chain/sprockets using oil is pretty good.

Our Wave just hit 25,000, with 90% town riding, still rides close to new....

If you are getting 5k kms per adjustment, even on a low power bike like a Wave, then you are not only "George Gently", you are not riding it with the ignition switch on, and the engine running. You are either being towed, or walking beside it. On ALL the Waves i service for the immediate greater family, with many different riding styles from thrashed to lugging a motor, at 2-3k kms, the chain would have already jumped the sprockets...

'Proper' chain lube not adviseable in offroad/dusty conditions as the dirt sticks to it and turns into gringing paste. Riding in Laos I bought a small plastic gear oil refill and applied a little every fuel stop. Once the top is cut off you cannot reseal it so I unscrewed the spout and screwed it back on with a piece of plastic bag underneath.

'Veloil' chain lube works well, 60Bht from Sangchai Panich or 40 Bht from the cheap oil guy in Chiang Moi Rd - but he is so obnoxious I think I will stick to the Honda shop.

Buying expensive imported stuff is like buying Armani just to keep the rain off!