BKK in depression?

Nomyai

Central Rama 9 is deserted @ 8pm? <deleted> is going on. A lot of places are just not teeming with shoppers. Very noticeable. Bars emptying out @ 10 pm?

Is it global warming..............................................hahahahahahahaha?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many foreigners sound gleeful at the prospect of Thailand's economy falling into recession?

It's weird

It could just be that

they want to feel like

the Thais need them

and their money.

They probably feel as

if the Thais have gotten

too big for their boots

and need to be

snapped back into line

where they depend on

falangs.

Been back in Sydney and going to work again, minefield of regulations and licensing. What I see is the gap between Thai and Sydney cost of living is less than it was. Gas same ( $1.06 lt ), food maybe cheaper thanks to Aldi, houses and the cost of doing business high, but the income potential is way higher.

Thais in BKK and Pattaya are doing well or they could not afford to shop at Tesco.

Sydney does not have the noodle shops and many other good value ways to eat, but groceries in Sydney are surprisingly cheap, maybe a little more than Thailand, but not double.

I'm in Chiang Mai, and I don't know what to say about the tourists situation here. Was in town today, and going around the moat, I hardly noticed any tourists at all. And never saw a single tour buss on the way in, in town, or on the way home.
But I have noticed that over the past 6 months the flow of local traffic (cars & pick ups) has increased tremendously. What used to take me 15 min on the PCX to go into town now takes half an hour. Or longer.

Why do so many foreigners sound gleeful at the prospect of Thailand's economy falling into recession?

It's weird

Maybe it's because we will get more Bahts for our GBP. It was about 70 when I first came here now it's 54.

The OP is constantly trying to find negative stuff about Thailand, real or imagined. This is the best he can do?

If the OP is trying to find negatives here in Thailand, he won't find them among the good people.

But he will find plenty if he looks to the Immigration authorities.

Or it's a holiday and everyone is elsewhere?

Yep, that was my initial thought also.

Our local LOTUS (TESCO) was packed on the Sunday.

Yup its the holidays....funny post though...I hope Rama9 stays quiet...no queues for my favourite krapow moo. ;)

It's weird

The exchange rate..

For me as well. Right now I want the baht to plummet to the 74 to 1 GBP I got ten years ago. But 15 years from now, when I am dead, or cushioned by my state pension, I want the economy to power out of recession, like it did after the 1997 crash, since my sons will be of working age. Selfish, but I've discovered here that family is everything, Something I never experienced in England.