Recommendations on Where to Avoid

john25

Hi,

I'll be visting Bangkok over Christmas this year and the recent ISIS warnings have me a bit concerned. My wife and I are blonde haired, blue eyed American's and I think it may be best for us to avoid anywhere that might be considered a target. I know that no one has a crystal ball, but I thought I might ask for some advice as far as where we should avoid. I know to avoid KSR, but I was hoping the experts on this forum might be able to weigh in on the following:

1. Are there any specific hotels that would advisable to avoid? Specifically along the river?

2. How about the Grand Palce, Wat Pho, Wat Arun?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. We're a bit concerned. Probably more so than we should be, but it's tough to not think about these type of things with the international attention the Russian warning is garnering. Thanks in advance for any assistance and my apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum

John

If you figure how many people are in Bangkok on any given day, and how many tourist arrivals, 20 million plus a year - the odds of your being in the wrong place at the wrong time are miniscule. I think you are best served by just not worrying about it.

I can't figure the odds for you, but with more than one multiple shooting per day in USA, also long shots as you probably do not feel in danger in your daily life there, you might be in more danger in USA - the only difference might be in your perceptions and being new here as opposed to comfortable there.

Actually, your greatest danger here is probably looking the wrong way for traffic when you cross the street… I lived in Bangkok for a few years and that was probably the largest danger for me…

Relax and enjoy - my guess is you will shortly feel comfortable here too… happy trails.

If you really are uncertain about your safety in Thailand, you are going to stand out.

Contact the American embassy, subscribe to and follow their advisories. It will help you, psychologically anyway.......................wink.png

I can't believe this is a real post, especially a first one at that. You are an American. Your country has more shootings than most. what do you do there stay at home. if your post is real then I pity you.

The Blonde hair blue eyes was just not called for.

Best would be to dye the blond hair and wear colored contactlenses.

Then also stay away from BKK/pattaya and you'll be fine. Singapore also might be an option.

Avoid pattaya at all costs. Bangkok is, generally ok, as safe if not safer than most cities applying the same rules. The only things i personally would avoid would be walking Any distance under where the sky train runs, hugely polluted. Tut tuts ,they will rip you off. Rush hour on the sky train but that's normal city living. The rest, relax into the frenzied madness.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you figure how many people are in Bangkok on any given day, and how many tourist arrivals, 20 million plus a year - the odds of your being in the wrong place at the wrong time are miniscule.

And in the end, you are just a statistic in the books of people who died from a terror attack ;).

Nightclubs are safe….the bouncers are thugs themselves who may have committed all sorts of crimes. They will be on top of it.

5 star hotels too will beef up security.

The places to watch are the ones where white folks congregate in large droves….without much cover…Id avoid nana plaza, soi cowboy.

There are similar bars in quieter sois like soi 22

Just bow down to them and stay away, alternatively give them the finger and carry on as normal

Totally agree- OP just carry on. I'm going to sound terrible- but Americans are real scare babies- if you let the terrorists rule your lives- they have won.

Lived through the IRA bombings- one went off a few yards away when I worked in Harrods- next day all back at work- ignore it.

If one (very bad) bombing in a country the size of France has got you worried, then it's probably best that you holiday at home. All you have to worry about then are the thousands of loonies with automatic weapons who can tip over the edge with little provocation.

As a fellow American who has been here for decades, please come and enjoy your stay and do not worry about terrorists or anything like that. The chances are minuscule that they will attack an that you would be targeted because of your looks. Continue with the itinerary you had planned and enjoy your stay. As far as the answers from some on this board- you should be ashamed of yourselves. You would never talk to someone like this in person the way you talk here. A complete lak of manners and proper decorum.Go back to your beer and leave the rest of us alone.

Avoid Russian girls gogo bars.... Stay away from American chain hotels and fast food outlets (although avoiding McDonalds permanently would be a great thing to do anyway). Look out for a sweaty looking middle-eastern chap wearing a jacket on and a rucksack! If the Thai authorities did a bit of racial profiling, we'd be fine..... or maybe "beard priofiling"