Cyclist dies after being hit, thrown from bridge by 6-wheeler in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

500 kilometers a week?

Are you doubting me? Some weeks 600+. I don't have to prove anything to you man, but here's a strava link:

http://www.strava.com/clubs/a5-rangers

If you look at the American Kurt Seavogel or the Brit Steve Abrahams, you'll see that my 500 is well exceeded. Try

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/

And if you are man enough why not come and try a few rides? Let me know

My 67 y/o dad often does 400 km a week too and he is a heart patient. So its not really unbelievable. Some people love biking and rack up kilometers like that. To each his or her own.

As a coach driver I would drive east into London and return west out of London with sun low in the sky in my face. It was momentarily dazzling but alleviated with sunblinds and decent sunglasses. It's part of the the job. It is not an excuse.

Agreed... getting dazzled by the Sun is no excuse.. however, it does go someway to explaining how a lorry driver managed not to see a cyclist in front of him as he rounded the U-Turn (bridge).

Some have already mentioned - the Road system here is simply dangerous, combine this with people who persistently and consistently take chances and multiply by those who drive poorly for no other reason than the consequences are so limited......

....Well, we all know how repetitive these comments have become.

It is way past time that those in positions of decision making power do something about Thailand's atrocious road safety records.

The Majority of people in Thailand, Thai's and Foreigners can see what needs to be done... its such a shame that life here is considered so cheap that no one really forces the issue and pushes these issues to the forefront of the policy makers minds...

Or, perhaps those in positions of decision making power consider that there are simply bigger issues - But IMO, protection and preservation of life is one of the biggest issues... Its should be the Primary issue...

Next, brace for the probable pathetic penalty handed to the driver. Will it be similar to the pitiful suspended two-year jail sentence and a 1,000 baht fine handed to the reckless 25-year-old Thai driver who killed the round-the –world British cyclists Peter Root and Mary Thompson nearly 3 years ago?

Please surprise us by imposing a penalty fitting the crime; otherwise, would it be possible to be shocked more by even less of a penalty than the above?

In this case it would seem the truck driver was at fault, but what we must also realise that there is always 2 sides to a story. Not belittling what happened to this guy as it is truly tragic and his family have my deepest sympathy, but I have experienced on many occasions cyclists making truly idiotic and dangerous moves and even a group of cyclists taking up the entire centre lane on a very busy 3 lane road.

The modern day cyclist is normally at least middle class and are only accustomed to driving cars where they push, shove, and ignore motorcycles like they don't exist, now they are the ones on 2 wheels they act in the same arrogant manner and have no concept of defensive riding, they also expect everyone else to get the hell out of their way because everyone should know they are 'not the normal poor person who historically is using 2 wheeled transport'.

Everyone using the roads, be they driving a 16 wheel truck or a unicycle has a responsibility to drive with care, consideration for others and to follow the rules of the road. The rules are there to protect people from their own stupidity, this applies to every Country on the planet, not only Thailand.

Of course, some kind of law enforcement may push people to actually bother to pay any attention to the laws. Just yesterday I was driving my Son home from school and there was a young lady riding a motorcycle with no helmet, my Son said "look, she is not wearing a helmet, where are the police?", to which I replied "Singapore". Strangely enough, we then saw a 'policeman' pass us, then proceed to pass the lady with no helmet and didn't even give her a second glance.

Oh, what's the point?

I have been the official photographer for several AUDAX events. These guys do 1250k in 72 hrs and less. They do regular day rides of over 300k as warm ups with qualifying 500k rides being regular. I have to say that in OZ there are times I get concerned as traffic can be fast and quite aggressive. The roads in the North and North East of Thailand seem far quieter and safer than those in OZ. However, cycling on the main roads around BKK - no way. It is unfortunate that anyone lose their life doing something as innocuous as cycling.

Cycle for dad should never happen in this mad driving country, four cyclists killed in the last few days by mad driviers and hit and runs.

It is bad enough driving at any time, truckies are mostly mad I rode with one once to deliver container to my house , scared the sh ee t out of me.

Cab was full of that caffeine drink he was chain smoking , talking on cell phone and overtaking recklessly all the way from BK to Hua hin.

I had to call my wife and get her to talk to him to slow down, apart from that he knocked a motorbike just after leaving the depot did not stop the bike recovered, absolute maddnes from 10 seater taxi drivers , truck driver , bus drivers and Hoons on these roads but the glorious leaders past and present can't run a road safety education campaign , just a bike for dad.

I sincerely hope that no more die tomorrow from mad drunken and crazy driving. wai2.gif

On Chayaprueck you have to use those bridges, there's no other way.

Many times i see cyclists riding there who don't keep totally left. Sometimes they cycle in groups at night and only 1 of them carry's a light. Vely dangerous but on top of that i also have seen groups of farang riding there.

Cyclists who choose to drive there sure know the risks. At the left side of the road is a lot of sand/garbage laying on the road so they don't drive totally left.

Cyclists go to slow to drive there safely, also there are many fruitvendors parked along the road who make it dangerous for everyone driving there.

On my motorbike i also stay away from those low walls on bridges, also i make sure that i drive fast enough so nobody comes from the back to pass me.

Roads like Chayapruek, Ratchapruek, Kanchana phisek need a minium speed. It's very dangerous to drive 20-50 km/hr on those roads.

RIP cyclist.

Sadley there are a New Breed of Cyclists, akin to Tuna Drivers obnoxious bastards getting the majority a bad name.. These Lycra Clad Clowns use the roads as race tracks.

Where did you see these people? I'd like to see them too. Or is this just another stupid piece of prejudice? Sadly.

No, sadley again its not..Ive been on the road here in Thailand @ 50 K.M P.A. for 22 years. An Ex Member of a Touring Cycle Club in Europe in the late 60.s. So i do have foundation to my observations..The tone of your post even sounding aggressive like a Lycra Clad Yob.The Touring Cyclist is a different breed, careful and considerate but still gets killed in the end. Up to You. In the Right, but injured.?. I shall use the Gymnasium for exercise.

SADLY, this is absurd rubbish. I ride a road bike, sometimes race. I also tour when I have a month or two to spare. I wear lycra on both bikes, why wouldn't I? it's comfortable and efficient. 'The touring cyclist is a different breed'- You sound like someone from a forgotten era making a statement like this; one of long baggy trousers , flat caps, and jam sandwiches. How much of a cycling 'yob' can anyone be while moving at 35KPH by the edge of the road?

You tell us conservative types ,without a big ego.[emoji572]️

500 kilometers a week?

Are you doubting me? Some weeks 600+. I don't have to prove anything to you man, but here's a strava link:

If you look at the American Kurt Seavogel or the Brit Steve Abrahams, you'll see that my 500 is well exceeded. Try

My 67 y/o dad often does 400 km a week too and he is a heart patient. So its not really unbelievable. Some people love biking and rack up kilometers like that. To each his or her own.

Yep I often spotted lots of Dutch folk with cycles on trains.

Sadley there are a New Breed of Cyclists, akin to Tuna Drivers obnoxious bastards getting the majority a bad name.. These Lycra Clad Clowns use the roads as race tracks.

cycling is hardly a new phenomenon, where have you been?

the anti-cyclist thing is is hardly news.

cycling is hardly a new phenomenon, where have you been?

the anti-cyclist thing is is hardly news.

AOP u have created a whole new group of followers by posting here. Stick to the motoring section, only Trans wears lycra.

Where did you see these people? I'd like to see them too. Or is this just another stupid piece of prejudice? Sadly.

No, sadley again its not..Ive been on the road here in Thailand @ 50 K.M P.A. for 22 years. An Ex Member of a Touring Cycle Club in Europe in the late 60.s. So i do have foundation to my observations..The tone of your post even sounding aggressive like a Lycra Clad Yob.The Touring Cyclist is a different breed, careful and considerate but still gets killed in the end. Up to You. In the Right, but injured.?. I shall use the Gymnasium for exercise.

SADLY, this is absurd rubbish. I ride a road bike, sometimes race. I also tour when I have a month or two to spare. I wear lycra on both bikes, why wouldn't I? it's comfortable and efficient. 'The touring cyclist is a different breed'- You sound like someone from a forgotten era making a statement like this; one of long baggy trousers , flat caps, and jam sandwiches. How much of a cycling 'yob' can anyone be while moving at 35KPH by the edge of the road?

You tell us conservative types ,without a big ego.[emoji572]️

say what you want mr pop, it would seem you have not been on a bike for the better part of 30 years, i would be very hard pressed to believe you have set foot in a "gymnasium" in the recent past either.

however the point remains that you have some very fixed misconceptions about cycling, especially modern cycling, and no current experience to back up your statements. To the contrary, you are dismissing the input of those of us here who do cycle regularly.

As for your 22 years road experience how much of those were spent on a bike. thats right, none.

nobody here is saying that road conditions in thailand are utopian for cyclists, we are simply saying that cycling is very much a viable way to get around and exercise in thailand, and that when you are actually on the bike, cycling in thailand is not so terrifying as many here on the sofa seem to believe.

im uncertain as to why you so desperately feel the need to considered both correct and relevant in a discussion of cycling in thailand while clearly you are neither.

Edited by HooHaa

Cycle for dad should never happen in this mad driving country, four cyclists killed in the last few days by mad driviers and hit and runs.

It is bad enough driving at any time, truckies are mostly mad I rode with one once to deliver container to my house , scared the sh ee t out of me.

Cab was full of that caffeine drink he was chain smoking , talking on cell phone and overtaking recklessly all the way from BK to Hua hin.

I had to call my wife and get her to talk to him to slow down, apart from that he knocked a motorbike just after leaving the depot did not stop the bike recovered, absolute maddnes from 10 seater taxi drivers , truck driver , bus drivers and Hoons on these roads but the glorious leaders past and present can't run a road safety education campaign , just a bike for dad.

I sincerely hope that no more die tomorrow from mad drunken and crazy driving. wai2.gif

should never be happen?

indeed, it is so very wrong to promote an activity that is both healthy and beneficial to the environment as well as potentially reducing traffic.

i particularly enjoy the unrelated anecdote about your experience in a car.

perhaps you should have a word with your wife. she can call to tell those of us who actually do have cycle related stories to slow down for you.

10,000 baht fine

And a suspended jail term. Thailand must chage there ways to alter its course. Prayuth has been to worried about staying in power and not commiting himself to repairs

First thing I would have done was change real laws for Thais. he has not.

He only wanted CDC and voting drafts

Nearly 8000 km this year on my bikes, around Chiang Mai. Mostly in the mountains. You wont find me on a busy main road.

We ride but I stay off of the main roads also.....Just too many unpredictable other situations....If I want us (family w 8 y/o & teen) to

ride for scenery I'll load them on the bike rack and find interesting places.....

Then the 2nd fear cuts in - can't leave Treks sitting alone while walking about exploring.....

If out riding with the wife or 15 y/o daughter (especially) the Thai guys almost crash themselves swivelling their heads trying to take a look... ....

Last week in the countryside, but don't let that spoil your rant.[emoji572]️

sorry, its hard to keep track, and im hardly ranting but admittedly invested in the discussion.

your earlier post seem to indicate that you will "use the Gymnasium for exercise" forgive me for seeing that as contradictory.

Dare i ask where in the coutryside you ride despite the terrible risks and masses of lycra clad yobs?

i would also be delighted to know what kind of bicycle a cyclist with your experience rides.

Here's an interesting point: Motorcyclists/scooter riders get killed everyday in Thailand. Dozens of 'em. I don't see posts here telling people not to ride those machines. Car drivers get killed everyday here too. I don't see posts here telling people not to ride. Pedestrians get killed almost daily. I don't see posts here telling people not to walk. A few cyclists get killed and we have the anti-cycling nutcases here telling people how dangerous cycling is and that we shouldn't do it. I wonder if they could take the trouble to explain themselves?

RiP the poor cyclist.......

Anyone riding bikes on Thailands roads are contenders for death or serious injury......

Thai drivers do not care about cyclists!

"Bike for Dad" on Friday...........I hope they shut all roads down that will be used!

There are many good roads for cyclists in Thailand. In the Chiang Mai area I ride about 500k a week and feel reasonably safe. However, riding on those highways around Bangkok would scare me to death.

In Nakhon Phanom and in the centre of Udon Thani I actually feel safer on my bicycle than on a motorbike. Vehicles seem to give me more room. But, sadly, on the main roads and highways outside of towns and cities I would say that an incident like this could happen anywhere, anytime in Thailand.

I cycled here and I ride motorbike and unquestionably motorbikes are much safer don't kid yourself. Not only does the light add visibility but you can keep speed with vehicles thereby reducing possible contact. And then of course there are the dogs. I have little desire to cycle here.

500 kilometers a week?

Yep I often spotted lots of Dutch folk with cycles on trains.

True, you can take cycles on trains but that is not how he makes his 400km. After his bypass he started biking and lost loads of weight because of it. Now he is an example case according to the doctoer (ok my dad is a bit fanatic about biking now) But it has helped his health a lot and he loves doing it.

This is in the Netherlands of course here it would have been harder for him with the heat.

Here's an interesting point: Motorcyclists/scooter riders get killed everyday in Thailand. Dozens of 'em. I don't see posts here telling people not to ride those machines. Car drivers get killed everyday here too. I don't see posts here telling people not to ride. Pedestrians get killed almost daily. I don't see posts here telling people not to walk. A few cyclists get killed and we have the anti-cycling nutcases here telling people how dangerous cycling is and that we shouldn't do it. I wonder if they could take the trouble to explain themselves?

I explained it before but for you i 'll do it again.

Cycling is much more dangerous then driving a scooter because of the big speeddifference on the highways.

Cyclists get taken over from behind nonstop while scooters can drive the same speed as the cars which is around 80-90 km/hr.

Then also scooters can brake much better then cyclists on those stupid thin tires, they also don't have discbrakes.

Next is that scooters wear a safetyhelmet, cyclists have a simple version of it.

But you're right that dead cyclists reach the newspapers, dead scooterdrivers not. Scooterdrivers are less than a human in Thailand, even soidogs get more respect. Thai will never drive over a sleeping soidog but love to cut off scooterdrivers.

Hey everyone it's called a accident period....why do so many poser's use tragic events like this

just so they can bash the Thai's....???

Whatever, it seems to me that people here a bashing each other more than bashing Thai's and tragic is when it happens to me