What Fruit-Trees & Where to get?

moonseeker

I'll assume that this is a garden we're talking about and not a commercial idea, otherwise it shouldn't be in the Pattaya forum

You're looking at quite a few years for anything you plant from scratch. If you're in (wherever) for the long haul then start planting anything and everything and see how they go. Nothing grows fast, (bamboo and papaya trees seem to be the exception). No trees require too much care - they've managed to survive without human intervention for a few zillion years.

If you're going to be (wherever) long enough, I'd advise planting star fruit and jackfruit - but you're not going to get any decent fruit for at least 5 years. Longans and rambutans are also worth looking at but I don't know how young they start making babies.

Good luck.

The market across from BPH is open as flower/plant market on weekends, i.e. Saturdays and Sundays.

Mango: easy to grow. Fruit in approx. 2 - 3 years. Grows into a nice tree, lots of shade, nothing grows below. Moderate shedding. Have a lot of them

Jackfruit: takes time, but grows fairly big in time. Big fruit (like durian) very frequently once the tree is mature. Sheds leaves more or less continuously, nothing grows below and lots of just sub-surface roots. Have one, would not plant it again.

Longan: Slow grower, was told it takes 7 years until it bears fruit. Have one, no fruit (yet)

Coconut: just take a green coconut and leave it lying around for a while, it will start growing by itself. Have some, They do not like it too wet.

Lime/orange: More like bushes, small trees. Seems they do not like it wet. We have not been successful in making them bear fruit.

Have fun !

Edited by a340bangla

There is a local Lime - it looks all wrinkled like a green brain ? I guess if you get one just plant the seeds inside. It grows like a bush rather than a tree and the Thais out in the boonies use them instead of washing up liquid to clean their plates/spoons.

As far as I know oranges and normal smooth limes and Yellow lemons need a colder climate. Most of the oranges come from China, you will see trucks loaded with small satsumas just now. They come down from China but the Thais tell you Chiang Mai coz they think eveything grows there.

"Chaing Mai, velly bootifull, have mountain have flowah".

Tamarind is another tree you can try to grow. Easy to get the seeds.

Try the seeds of Lynchees, I got them to grow but they stopped after a while and died... not sure why?

My Dad told me you had to grow the seeds under a dead dog for the tree to grow ? I'll never know what he meant by that...