UK envoy's support for Thai activists 'disappointing'

webfact

FREEDOM OF ASSEMBLY
UK envoy's support for activists 'disappointing'

Wasamon Audjarint,
Kasamakorn Chanwanpen
The Nation

Deputy govt spokesman speaks out after remark on Twitter by ambassador while students protest over graft at park

BANGKOK: -- A DEPUTY government spokesman expressed disappointment yesterday about the position taken by a foreign diplomat who voiced support for a student group seeking to travel to Rajabhakti Park in Prachuap Khiri Khan on Monday.

Maj-General Werachon Sukond-hapatipak told a LINE group of reporters at Government House it was disappointing that "the ambassador" took a position that ended up supporting a group that has often broken the law and disrespected judicial processes, unlike the majority of the people.

Asked by The Nation whom he was referring to, the deputy spokesman declined to say. Werachon said the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) "regrets that this happened", adding that this issue has been discussed with every envoy.

On Monday, students were removed from a train en route to the park in a bid to highlight graft at the project.

British Ambassador to Thailand Mark Kent tweeted on Monday: "I had hoped the fact that 200 people [being] allowed to demonstrate at the US Embassy might be relaxation on freedom of assembly".

This appeared to refer to a small rally late last month against US Ambassador Glyn Davies for his criticism of harsh penalties under the lese majeste law, but was voiced when the students were heading to the Army park in Hua Hin.

Werachon said if there were violent clashes during the upcoming election, then everyone should take responsibility for escalating tensions. He said so far every effort had been taken to move the country towards an election, but the diplomats' behaviour could encourage lawbreakers to further damage the country.

"Whose interest is this for? Every action taken is for the benefit of national interest, as well as the interests of our foreign friends," he said.

Werachon said the military had prevented the group from proceeding with the trip because there were two opposing groups involved.

The deputy spokesman claimed there was also a group that detests the red shirts and Pheu Thai Party, so there was the risk of a confrontation between political rivals.

At the same time, some Pheu Thai members had tried to provoke authorities to arrest them - hoping some foreigners would misconstrue the situation.

This, he said, has been an ongoing predicament for the NCPO while moving the country towards a democracy and a general election.

In light of this, the protesters were restrained in order to stop escalating tensions. Werachon said it was hoped other ambassadors would be able to see that if the two opposing sides cannot be prevented from clashing, then the referendum and election could prove chaotic and problematic, and thus, reproach would be directed towards the NCPO.

The Nation contacted Ambassador Kent, to seek a response in regard to the deputy spokesman's remarks, but he declined, and simply responded to what he had said on Twitter.

"I think my tweet is clear. I was making an observation. It is of course for the Thai authorities to administer the country as they see fit. I hope they do so in accordance with their international obligations, as the EU has previously stated," the ambassador replied.

Meanwhile, Amnesty Internation-al, the international rights organisation, voiced opposition to the Thai military's powers of arbitrary detention, after the students were detained.

The group said on its website the arrest of 37 activists in Thailand ahead of a planned anti-corruption protest was the latest evidence that the country's military government was using arbitrary powers of detention to silence peaceful activism.

"These heavy-handed and completely unjustifiable arrests highlight Thailand's need to remove the military's powers of arbitrary detention, which are being used to harass and criminalise peaceful dissent," said Champa Patel, Amnesty International's Southeast Asia and Pacific regional office director.

She said the activists were detained for peacefully exercising their right to speak out against alleged corruption.

"The Thai authorities are also increasingly trampling on safeguards for detainees, which puts them at risk of further human rights violations such as torture and other ill-treatment," she said, and urged that officials drop all charges of illegal political assembly and treason, laid against some of these activists for their role in peaceful protests earlier this year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/UK-envoys-support-for-activists-disappointing-30274543.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-09

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "government' are definitely losing their grip, and this is another example. Hysterical, histrionic and hopeless.

Note they don't seek to explain their lack of action about the US Embassy demonstrators. They just accept double standards here as in the recent corruption scandals - if you're one of ours, do what you want. One of theirs? Forget it..

If these people knew how to control opposing crowds without killing them, it would eliminate their excuse. Incompetence resulting in a convenient lockdown. They say they are for protecting people and their rights? Well learn how to control a crowd, instead of banning it, even if one or two idiots carry guns.

I expect that more foreign ambassadors will start to speak out in a similar manner.

Interesting times ahead - I'll get my tin hat....

Yes it looks like the free nation ambassadors are starting to speak in political solidarity. First America and now Britain in support of America.

Mark Kent's comment was clear and cannot be misconstrued unlike just about everything the junta comes out with, is arrogance and double standards so normal that even when it is pointed out to them that they still cannot see it, this place is into self destruct mode and the countdown is on...

This is all part of a master plan to force UK expats back to the UK to live in order to make them pay tax onshore and save the government from having to uprate expat pensions!

Hey, if everyone else can have a conspiracy theory, so can I. laugh.png

And only a few days after the same spokes-idiot claimed the whole planet supported the junta.

Oh let us be fair, the whole planet save Messrs Kent and Davies! What's 2 out of 7.2 Billion? Edited by JAG

Freedom of assembly is forbidden by the junta.

Except for the 'elite' rabble who will be protesting outside the British Embassy later today, no doubt...

Very interesting if they do and maybe get a taste for such protests which would be a major problem for the govt. Would they start to enforce their own laws or happily stick to double standards ?

I can imagine the diplomatic cables home from the embassies involved.

"...a group that has often broken the law and disrespected judicial processes, unlike the majority of the people..."

You see Mr. Maj-General Werachon Sukond-hapatipak, that is the cruxed of the problem. This so-called law is a very bad and unjust law. And the majority of the people you speak of, in their hearts, do not like this "law" you speak of. If the majority of the people were younger, braver and could take the time out from just trying to scratch out a living, you would have a much larger group of people on your hands protesting and fighting against this very unjust law and the corruption these students were trying so hard to bring to your attention.

So will the mad (man in orange robe) monk and 200 of his followers all go too the UK embassy and tell them to get out also? and demanded an apology?

All the while being left alone by the so-called non bias, we treat all the same, junta???

This junta's fooling no one now. The end is just beginning.

I expect that more foreign ambassadors will start to speak out in a similar manner.

Interesting times ahead - I'll get my tin hat....

I suspect more foreign ambassadors from will start to speak out too... because it's the right thing to do. There is clearly dysfunction here and it needs redirecting.

...and maybe, just maybe the junta will take a look at this objectively and reconsider the tight controls and direction thailand is heading (as viewed from the international communities).

Edited by Nowisee

Oh dear. Why does the Uk Ambassador have to say anything at all ? I am sure he is a nice bloke with good intentions and all but really !!! How does it help when a paid employee of the Bristish tax payer plays Twitter on things that quite frankly are none of anyones business except Thai people's buisness. It just causes a negative reaction which is totally unecessary. Often in England police stop protesters from going somewhere, especially if there are opposing elements. I would have thought England would be concentrating on its own appalling problems that include potential future economic disaster, social ills, drug problems, social welfare problems, crime problems, a completely disheartened population who are fed up with the politcial arena and a massive refugee issue which will cost the tax payer Billions, which everyone knows was caused by the constant meddling in foreign countries and creating wars and suffering that the majority of English people never wanted and not only have had to pay for, but will have to pay again for all the refuggess rushing to get into the UK. Come on !! Add to that, do Thai politcians twitter about what is going on in England and criticise it. Not that I know of. When will this hypocracy end. Surely there is a better way to spend ones time. It is so simple to see how problems occur in the world. No wonder many counrties now are rather bored of us Westerners continually interfering, criticising and sticking our noses in. Thailand is Thailand. It is not perfect but a lot of people love living there and I am sure were happy to have the extremely violent protests stopped. I have many friends in Thailand and many were very worried about the situation when the protests were becoming violent. Its stopped for now which is good. Also it is a very delicate situation and needs to be watched and contolled by the authorities very carefully. Would people prefer they all flare up again and the city is taken over and shops are burned like last time. I was there and it wass not very nice. I appreciate a few people on a train is not a massive protest but it is where it leads, at such a delicate time. Its not the right time to be doing it. Does Thaiand have problems, yes like any country does. But having lived in both give me Thailand any day of the week over living in the UK. The bars are all open, shops are amazing, sun is shining, awesome restaurants, most of the people are charming, plenty of freedom to do things. In fact I would go as far to say that Thailand has some freedoms England does not. Why not look at the good points and stop going on and on about trivial matters that have no bearance on England at all. My God look at politcial correctness in England and how you can't use certain words and certain books have been banned. So a few protesters were stopped on a train. It is hardly the end of the world. Big deal. Thailand has so many wonderful points and aspects to it. If one does not like it, leave. But if one is living there enjoy it. And stop criticising it and making potentially neagtive comments that do not help anyone. Smile, enjoy the day and look for the good in life please.

Edited by davidcc

"...a group that has often broken the law and disrespected judicial processes, unlike the majority of the people..."

You see Mr. Maj-General Werachon Sukond-hapatipak, that is the cruxed of the problem. This so-called law is a very bad and unjust law. And the majority of the people you speak of, in their hearts, do not like this "law" you speak of. If the majority of the people were younger, braver and could take the time out from just trying to scratch out a living, you would have a much larger group of people on your hands protesting and fighting against this very unjust law and the corruption these students were trying so hard to bring to your attention.

Well said. I do wish the press would stop using the noun 'law', it's not a law, its a dictate. BTW, from the photo of those ordered off that train in the BP, many of those dangerous rabble were little old ladies. Bullying thugs.

Oh dear. Why does the Uk Ambassador have to say anything at all ? I am sure he is a nice bloke with good intentions and all but really !!! How does it help when a paid employee of the Bristish tax payer plays Twitter on things that quite frankly are none of anyones business except Thai people's buisness. Often in England police stop protesters from going somewhere, especially if there are opposing elements. I would have thought England would be concentrating on its own appalling problems that include potential future economic disaster, social ills, drug problems, social welfare problems, crime problems, a completely disheartened population who are fed up with the politcial arena and a massive refugee issue which will cost the tax payer Billions, which everyone knows was caused by the constant meddling in foreign countries and creating wars and suffering that the majority of English people never wanted and not only have had to pay for, but will have to pay again for all the refuggess rushing to get into the UK. Come on !! Add to that, do Thai politcians twitter about what is going on in England and criticise it. Not that I know of. When will this hypocracy end. Surely there is a better way to spend ones time. It is so simple to see how problems occur in the world. No wonder many counrties now are rather bored of us Westerners continually interfering, criticising and sticking our noses in. Thailand is Thailand. It is not perfect but alot of people love living there and I am sure were happy to have the extremely violent protests stopped for now. I have many friends in Thailand and many were very worried about the situation when the protests were becoming violent. The bars are all open, shops are amazing, sun is shining, awesome restaurants, plenty of freedom to do things. In fact I woudl go as far to say that Thailand has many freedoms England does not. Why not look at the good points and stop going on and on about trivial matters that have no bearance oin England at all. So a few protesters were stopped on a train. Ist hardly the end of the world. Big deal. Thailand has so many wonderful points and aspects to it. If one does not liek it, leave. But if one is living there enjoy it.

Another very blinkered view from the rose tinted specs brigade, anyway you go and enjoy your restaurants and bars mate so long as that is OK eh, it matters not that nutters in charge are destroying my daughters and many of her friends country but we are lucky and have options many don't...

You think they should see the double standards and say nothing....really that is a very selfish and shortsighted view but each to his own

Personally I am very proud when somebody stands up to the idiots running the asylum here as the general populace don't have that luxury any more...

Oh dear. Why does the Uk Ambassador have to say anything at all ? I am sure he is a nice bloke with good intentions and all but really !!! How does it help when a paid employee of the Bristish tax payer plays Twitter on things that quite frankly are none of anyones business except Thai people's buisness. It just causes a negative reaction which is totally unecessary. Often in England police stop protesters from going somewhere, especially if there are opposing elements. I would have thought England would be concentrating on its own appalling problems that include potential future economic disaster, social ills, drug problems, social welfare problems, crime problems, a completely disheartened population who are fed up with the politcial arena and a massive refugee issue which will cost the tax payer Billions, which everyone knows was caused by the constant meddling in foreign countries and creating wars and suffering that the majority of English people never wanted and not only have had to pay for, but will have to pay again for all the refuggess rushing to get into the UK. Come on !! Add to that, do Thai politcians twitter about what is going on in England and criticise it. Not that I know of. When will this hypocracy end. Surely there is a better way to spend ones time. It is so simple to see how problems occur in the world. No wonder many counrties now are rather bored of us Westerners continually interfering, criticising and sticking our noses in. Thailand is Thailand. It is not perfect but a lot of people love living there and I am sure were happy to have the extremely violent protests stopped. I have many friends in Thailand and many were very worried about the situation when the protests were becoming violent. Its stopped for now which is good. Also it is a very delicate situation and needs to be watched and contolled by the authorities very carefully. Would people prefer they all flare up again and the city is taken over and shops are burned like last time. I was there and it wass not very nice. I appreciate a few people on a train is not a massive protest but it is where it leads, at such a delicate time. Its not the right time to be doing it. Does Thaiand have problems, yes like any country does. But having lived in both give me Thailand any day of the week over living in the UK. The bars are all open, shops are amazing, sun is shining, awesome restaurants, most of the people are charming, plenty of freedom to do things. In fact I would go as far to say that Thailand has some freedoms England does not. Why not look at the good points and stop going on and on about trivial matters that have no bearance on England at all. My God look at politcial correctness in England and how you can't use certain words and certain books have been banned. So a few protesters were stopped on a train. It is hardly the end of the world. Big deal. Thailand has so many wonderful points and aspects to it. If one does not like it, leave. But if one is living there enjoy it. And stop criticising it and making potentially neagtive comments that do not help anyone. Smile, enjoy the day and look for the good in life please.

Spot on, Dave.

An excellent post... even if somewhat verbose.

Your points would be hard to gainsay.

Spot on, Dave.

An excellent post... even if somewhat verbose.

Your points would be hard to gainsay.

Once again proof, if further proof was needed, that most foreign defenders of the Junta lack the intellect, education and most importantly, moral conscience which would make their views - even when as poorly expressed, cliche ridden and incoherent as above - worth listening to.

Though it is not mine,there is an intellectually respectable case for a "reset" in Thai politics but we never seem to hear it expressed coherently on Thai Visa.Instead we are treated to embarrassingly self centred rants from a motley collection of indifferently educated drifters who place their own interests above those of the Thai people

Except for the 'elite' rabble who will be protesting outside the British Embassy later today, no doubt...

...and freedom of speach and freedom of thinking...See how they handle it in North Korea.....e.g.

These idiots in charge at present need to be careful, the tide is turning and the rank and file Thai public are becoming restless.

The hypocrisy of this junta is amazing and in my opinion immoral.

The students have every right to protest and if it is shown that corruption did happen during the planning and construction of the park, then the “leader” of this country should hang his head in shame and exit stage left ASAP.

I have been here a long time and I love Thailand and do not want to return to the UK. Yes all countries have their problems and when moving from one to another none of us eliminate problems we had, they are just changed. But you are suggesting 'hear no problems, see no problems, don't speak out against problems'. I never did that in the UK and I'll do the same here, or any other country. We can't interfere or speak out as you say we do because we have no rights and if you looked at the situation objectively you'd notice that stray dogs in the soys have more rights than expats. Your comment 'And stop criticising it and making potentially neagtive comments that do not help anyone' is disgusting because you are telling the rest us to 'shut up'. While you are smiling and enjoying yourself you display selfishness that the rest of the world could crumble, but that's okay 'cause you're happy. If anyone is a hypocrite, it is you. Whether you like it or not, reality is not just about being happy.