Thailand is set to reduce carbon emission by 20% in 15 years

webfact

Thailand is set to reduce carbon emission by 20% in 15 years

15.png

BANGKOK, 9 December 2015 (NNT) – Natural Resource and Environment Minister General Surasak Kanjanarat has announced to the world that Thailand will reduce its gas emissions by at least 20% by 2030.

General Surasak announced his determination to lower greenhouse gas at a climate change conference, also known as COP21, in Paris earlier this month.

He said that Thailand will join every nation in trying to address global warming. The move is also in line with Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s official statement to do the same at the United Nations conference in October.

Thailand will lower its carbon emissions into the atmosphere in a step by step approach through cooperation from the energy and transport sectors. An energy management plan will be adopted to promote the use of renewable energy and increase energy consumption efficiency.

The development of a semi-high speed train and the expansion of MRT train routes is expected to help reduce greenhouse gasses. More forest areas will also be restored in order to achieve the goal in 15 years.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-09 footer_n.gif

Next they will announce their moon base plans

I doubt they are interested in the moon, as everyone would all have to wear helmets on their moon-cycles, and there would be no tea money in it for the MBIB (Moon Boys in Brown).

"Thailand is set to reduce carbon emission by 20%..."

I am sure it will be like every other beneficial action the Thai government promises to do..."Ready"..."Set"...but NEVER "Go"

Edited by jaltsc

"Thailand is set to reduce carbon emission by 20%..."

I am sure it will be like every other beneficial action the Thai government promises to do..."Ready"..."Set"...but NEVER "Go"

Well, since it is immeasurable, it will be proclaimed a raving success if it's ever mentioned again, which I doubt it will be.

If it WERE, measurable, they'd wait 14 years and 11 months to start on it, kinda like ASEAN & airline safety.

Mae sai 9th december. A couple of Thai workers have just set fire to a massive pile of branches and leaves. Smoke everywhere,but nobody is taking any notice. At present the breeze is taking the smoke away from my house. If the breeze changes I will have to motor of somewhere for the rest of the day. I know there is no point in me complaining . Thainess for you ? A little bit extra for global warming. Wait until February, then smoke in N. Thailand

...and no one will remember in 15 years they made this commitment. Heck, no one will remember in 2 years. Mr. P and the Junta will almost certainly be history so there will be no one to question about a commitment that wasn't kept. With new coal fired power plants being started everywhere this commitment is so much empty air.

The village idiots in my rural village have started burning the rice husk to make charcoal last couple of days. Can't breath, eyes stinging, nose running, my bedsheets smell like smoke and the Thai government thinks they can improve the air?

Just declare a fart-free day, that'll do the trick.

The average fart is composed of 59% Nitrogen, 21% Hydrogen, 9% Carbon-Dioxide, 7% Methane and 4% Oxygen.

Carbon-Dioxide and Methane are the greenhouse gases...

I can see the t-shirts already.

"Thailand will reduce its gas emissions by at least 20% by 2030."

Is that when Egat's (the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand) plans to construct an additional 7.43 gigawatts of coal power plants (seven+) will be demolished? The Nation 2015-11-21. Like many undeveloped countries, the current Thai government will prioritize the economy over public safety.

So I'm guessing they will improve roadways, eliminate all the old buses, old motorbikes & trucks that spew out black crap, and all the old boats etc... Should be a welcomed improvement. In the mean time I won't be holding my breath, but I am sure that the statisticians will find a way to prove their reduction.

Edited by ToS2014

Lot of wind-up merchants here.

a) The commitment will be remembered because it will be on the UNFCCC web-site, and Thailand is obliged to prepare National Communications and Biennial Update Reports

b ) It is measurable

c) Reducing emissions does not mean going back to the stone age! EU have done it and I don't think they are in the stone age.

Edited by exalll

In 2030 many people in the present government, as well as myself will be 75 years old or older or dead so

this promise will not really matter much. An electric bullet train running from China

to Singapore will be a very nice thing to be able to ride on. That is something I hope to be able to do

in my lifetime.