Convicted child abuser Peter Dundas Walbran arrested teaching at Thai school

webfact

I don't believe pedophiles are ALWAYS Farang.

It's just that pedoFarangs make the news, because it's UNUSUAL. Thai people notice it because they think Farangs are better than This and it breaks their stereotypes.

PedoThai teachers don't often make the news because it's "normal" (usual, frequent) and because of cultural denial.

Have you any proof of this?

I've lived here for nearly 30 years an never noticed or heard anything to suggest this.

Thai men and young schoolgirls but not pre pubescent ones.

Just ask your wife or g/f.

Incest is the sport the whole family can enjoy!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand doesnt care. there was a staff at an international school in the north that I and 2 teachers suspected of having a sexual relationship with a student. Because the guy was some distant relative of the school owner, the director refused to investigate and the staff that reported it were fired.

He had been on the interpol arrest list but lands a job, presumably with visa, in Thailand? Holy Moly.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/australian-extradited-to-indonesia-on-child-rape-claims-20111025-1mhcc.html

You're linking to a newspaper report that is over four years old since when he has been arrested and imprisoned in Indonesia and is no longer on any wanted lists.

This creep left Australia somehow on a New Zealand passport to come to Thailand so your implication that Thailand somehow bears responsibility for his current situation is out of line.

Someone in Thailand could have done a simple google search and in seconds would have discovered this guy has a criminal record for abuse. Why didn't they?

Why not name the school ?

The school is not named to protect the privacy of the children.

The school was named on the first page.

The school is upset that angry parents will withdraw their kids and the business will fold. The school isn't the least bit upset that kids were exposed to a child molester nor have they commented on their hiring staff without checking their bona fides.

Nothing new here.

Just how many more of these twisted people are here in Thailand teaching or having access to young children? I really wish the international community would work more closely together when it comes to crime and especially those already with serious criminal charge sheets.

A simple loophole allowed this creep to get a NZ passport - if NZ had known about his past, would they have issued him with a passport? And frightening to see that neither Immigration, the Ministry of Education nor the school even googled his name. facepalm.gif

What loophole was that? How did an Australian citizen get his hands on a NZ passport? Something wrong with the system.

While its apparent there is minimal to no checks in schools in Thailand it is initially the failure of the western authorities that have facilitated this incident.

Not being a Thai apologist but pointing out that even the 'mighty west' get it wrong also....

But with the same frequency?

He had been on the interpol arrest list but lands a job, presumably with visa, in Thailand? Holy Moly.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/australian-extradited-to-indonesia-on-child-rape-claims-20111025-1mhcc.html

You're linking to a newspaper report that is over four years old since when he has been arrested and imprisoned in Indonesia and is no longer on any wanted lists.

This creep left Australia somehow on a New Zealand passport to come to Thailand so your implication that Thailand somehow bears responsibility for his current situation is out of line.

Someone in Thailand could have done a simple google search and in seconds would have discovered this guy has a criminal record for abuse. Why didn't they?

It appears the scumbag has paid his debts or done his time for his fiddling in Indonesia. However, slipping authorities shows intent.

It is a life ban working with children. That does not expire. They need to tag these guys.

This issue of responsibility being shifted from anywhere other than the school is ridiculous, though. If you send your child to a school in Thailand you would expect that school to be observant of immediate laws firstly before looking further down the path.

That school is a government school too with government administrators wanting to claim an international influenced curriculum, GCE, in their syllabus and yet all its administrators, certification, qualifications and examinations are 100 Thai standard or MOE governed. As are their recruitment policies and conditions.

If my child was 'affected' in that school i would be sizing up the school and director for failing duties of care and making my child safe as this is any school or educator's first responsibility.

How do these guys even get through the system? What a shame

Probably the same way that other crims with extensive criminal records seem to be able to enter and leave Thailand unhindered, by means of a large paper bag stuffed with money.

Convicted Australian paedophile arrested in Ubon Ratchathani

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A convicted Australian paedophile was arrested in Ubon Ratchathani at the request of the Australian Federal Police for deportation back to Australia.

The arrest of Peter Dundas Walbran, 58, was made under a cooperation among the Department of Special Investigation, the Central Forensic Science Office, the Royal Thai Police and the Australian Federal Police.

The DSI was asked by the Australian Federal Police to locate Walbran who refused to return to Australian to be registered as a convicted paedophile after he was convicted and jailed in Indonesia for three years. He instead came to Thailand after his release to work as an English teacher.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Convicted-Australian-paedophile-arrested-in-Ubon-R-30274580.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-12-09

What?They need his permission to register himself.You would think it would be automatic.You are convicted of a sex crime you automatically go on home countries watch list and Interpols list.

What?They need his permission to register himself.You would think it would be automatic.You are convicted of a sex crime you automatically go on home countries watch list and Interpols list.

It is absurd.

Pbkk asked this question earlier. I am sure agencies are linked but this regionalisation does appear archaic. You would think UNICEF and Interpol have positions on this but i have not investigated further. Civil libertarians may prefer regional authorities liaise with federal before surrendering data internationally.

Have a look at this link though. It gives a fair overview what happens at state level before going to enforcement by federal authorities. Peter Walbran did not report and hence triggered AFP action. This is the clause that links regions globally.

"A person who had reporting obligations under a foreign jurisdiction, and would be required to report if they were still in that jurisdiction, is a registrable offender in Victoria"

http://www.secasa.com.au/pages/the-victorian-register-of-sex-offenders/

Very few schools in Thailand do any checks, nor do they care if you have a degree, and many do not care or help you to obtain a Non B Visa and Work Permit. My experience with 7 schools, some do help you obtain the proper paperwork, 50% do not. I am a Canadian Native English speaker, with a degree in Education. They just look at "Native English speaker."

I've had several schools demanding my presence, despite me saying I'm not a teacher. "You speak English, you come teach!" In the end I fell back on my visa stamp. No employment permitted, that worked.

You know a great deal of problems not being addressed, like this animal's actions are because of the 'culture' in the organisation at the time.

Bosses tend to hire people with the same ' learning style'. Concrete Sequential etc. So u end up with a management structure where the boss hires someone, like a principal, that has traits that the boss likes, and the principal then hires people with traits or learning styles that the principal likes etc etc. So u end up with a certain organisation 'culture'.

DELETED but once the 'culture' is established it is very difficult to change and people do a lot of 'turning a blind eye' or dismissing things as hear -say. It is also your job and livelyhood at stake.

Also at AIS when i worked there i was flat chat all the time and was only engaged in my students learning.

DELETED

You know a great deal of problems not being addressed, like this animal's actions are because of the 'culture' in the organisation at the time.

Bosses tend to hire people with the same ' learning style'. Concrete Sequential etc. So u end up with a management structure where the boss hires someone, like a principal, that has traits that the boss likes, and the principal then hires people with traits or learning styles that the principal likes etc etc. So u end up with a certain organisation 'culture'.

but once the 'culture' is established it is very difficult to change and people do a lot of 'turning a blind eye' or dismissing things as hear -say. It is also your job and livelyhood at stake.

Also at AIS when i worked there i was flat chat all the time and was only engaged in my students learning.

=> tv thread elision

So what's with the eye scanning at the airport? Doesn't that pick up convicted paedos?

Maybe no batteries in them.

Tit

As far as I am aware, there is no eye scanning done at any air or land port in Thailand.

At Immigration, they take your picture, which is stored against your entry card number.

Where have you experienced eye scanning?

this guy needs to be locked up and/or castrated at Bumrungrad prior to his departure back to the nanny state of australia

With respect you are suggesting doing the necessary painlessly, it should be done with maximum pain, may be two bricks

but once the 'culture' is established it is very difficult to change and people do a lot of 'turning a blind eye' or dismissing things as hear -say. It is also your job and livelyhood at stake.

, a condition little better than that which is being discussed on this forum. The percentage of women that enjoy regular anal sex? More than 10% I would guess.

this guy needs to be locked up and/or castrated at Bumrungrad prior to his departure back to the nanny state of australia

Believe me, the RTP do not have the dosh to have the job done at Bumrungrad wink.png

Hmmm. Just Googled the school to find that it's the same one that my 18yo daughter went to for a week crammer course only one month ago! Luckily not a younger son!

I don't recognise the guy btw - don't think he was one of the teachers who maintain a presence at the city's falang bars - a few do - but I'm an irregular visitor (once or twice a month) from neighbouring Sisaket.

A Government college with a smallish English programme is not "an international school". Maybe none of the press actually say it is and its just been assumed in one or two of the postings.

Hmmm. Just Googled the school to find that it's the same one that my 18yo daughter went to for a week crammer course only one month ago! Luckily not a younger son!

I don't recognise the guy btw - don't think he was one of the teachers who maintain a presence at the city's falang bars - a few do - but I'm an irregular visitor (once or twice a month) from neighbouring Sisaket.

A Government college with a smallish English programme is not "an international school". Maybe none of the press actually say it is and its just been assumed in one or two of the postings.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/877218-convicted-child-abuser-peter-dundas-walbran-arrested-teaching-at-thai-school/page-4#entry10174036

Not only farang teachers but also some Thai teachers has been caught as paedos, fiddling with kids. Sometimes you can read about it in the local Thai news but rarely in the English news here. Often the teacher pays a sum of money to the parents and continue his job as a teacher in the same school, believe it or not.

My recollection is that he was a non drinker so he probably wouldnt have visited the bars .... As a drinker.

I applaud the arrest of any criminal. Regardless of this man's past convictions, the charges in Thailand are yet to proved in court. Therefore, I read and wait for the slow wheels of justice to turn. Hopefully, the other self-anointed and self-appointed judges will take a personal inventory and wait in turn.

Of course he's innocent until proven guilty but if you knew anything about paedophiles, then you would know that they are like leopards, they never change their spots. I, for one, cannot accept anyone giving time to this particular piece of excrement. I see that he is a dual citizen, OZ/NZ and if I am correct used his new NZ passport to enter Thailand. One has to ask why, was it to conceal his prior activities carried out in Indonesia whilst travelling on his OZ passport. What would you say? My post is not about guilt or otherwise, he is a convicted paedophile, and can get a new passport, a new job with children. I just hope, if you have young childrfen, they never experience any meetings with paedophiles. What would your post be then?

Re; One has to ask why, was it to conceal his prior activities carried out in Indonesia whilst travelling on his OZ passport.

Considering that until recently you could only get 5 years for a New Zealand passport versus 10 years for an Australian, any "normal" person coming to Thailand to work long time would prefer an Australian passport. Lets look at the options: Option "A" get put on the Australian Sex Offenders Registry. Option "B" come to Thailand on a squeaky clean passport and carry on business as usual. I don't think one has to ask the question why. The fact that he is living with a Thai male of 18 years (barely legal) speaks volumes. Would not surprise me that his Thai "partner" helped him acquire underage victims. Thai is a difficult language and I doubt very much that his proficiency in Thai would be sufficient enough based on the short time he was in Thailand. Although there was overwhelming evidence against him, it was reported that he was angry in jail and claimed he was innocent. Most probably in his own mind he thought, being such a great guy, that his victims should be grateful that he had chosen them. Arrogant, delusional ... in his own mind he did no wrong. If you were innocent would you risk being again falsely accused of being a pedophile by living with an 18 year old, working in an environment of under age pupils, giving children free rides on your bike ... ?? Of course not, you would stay far far away from anything that might expose you. I doubt much will come out of this investigation .... I think he would have learnt from his past experiences how to cover his tracks better.

Archived