Search lights over Chiang Mai

OccamsRazor

This is the 2nd night I've seen search lights sweeping the skies over Chiang Mai. Can't pin down exactly where they are coming from but from my location in Mae Hia looks to be a couple of kilometers west north-west of the airport. Possibly something going on at Maya?

I've noticed these lights (two of them) several times in the almost 2 years we've been at Rimping Condo. I always assumed it was a retail or club building around Nimen (that seems to be the general area they come from). I can't remember when Maya opened (still haven't been) but that would be about the right place.

I don't know if they're on every night or if it just happens occasionally, they aren't very bright and I've only ever noticed them on really clear nights when I sit out onto the balcony after dark, which isn't that often and even when I do, I'm not looking for them.

Certainly not new though.

It might have been coming from the area of MAYA. Over the last few days there were Festivals at Think Park, The annual Soi 1 Festival, as well as the celebration they throw around the King's birthday at MAYA. I distinctly remember them from last year. I was in the area each night for the last 2 nights but don't recall seeing them - but honestly I wasn't looking. There was a lot going on in the area.

They were Hollywood-style spotlights (I saw the beams early in the morning a few days ago)- it was at a distance so I'm not sure where they were located, but it definitely wasn't the airport.

They definitely sound like the ones I've seen. My sense of direction is shocking but definitely north of the airport and by a few km I'd say. Maybe even north of Kad Suan Kaw - I know which building that one is but can't remember how far away they looked.

The BiBs, searching for corruption, perhaps ? rolleyes.gif

Pocket torch will suffice whistling.gif

with flat batteries, even. laugh.png

but perhaps these were military stealth-searchlights, looking for airborne intruders ? See any UFOs lately, if not then it shows that they work ! coffee1.gif