Tablet for reading books, e-mail / google and phone

scorecard

I'm thinking of buying a smaller size tablet for the above, but mainly to download & read books.

Comments / suggestions from friends summarized as follows:

- Kindle way too expensive, limited functionality, cannot be used for anything other then download / read books and not compatible with all e.books, poor servicing in Thailand.

- Go for one of the Samsung half size models with e.book readers already installed or can easily be downloaded.

- Samsung about 4 - 6,000Baht depending on other options (especially if it's also a phone, and local pricing / discounting).

Any comments / recommendations appreciated, thanks.

I've had my Kindle Paperwhite 3 years now with no problems. I use Calibre to control my e-library and Calibre can convert any other e-book format to Kindles preferred .mobi. I can't make phone calls with it, I agree, nor yet take photos, but i can check the football results as it does have a simple browser. I don't think it was too expensive.

Well that's part of my confusion.

I recently, first time ever, bought an e.book from a large and very respectable book seller in Australia.

I assumed that by downloading Kindle* onto my notebook I would be able to download and read the book, but it didn't work. (*The Kindle site did state that I could download their App and use it on a notebook.)

The response from the book seller is that many e.books cannot be opened / read using the Kindle app. I'm not sure if this is correct.

They also advised me that I needed to download (free) either the dedicated OIS app or the dedicated Android App onto my notebook.

I've since had second thoughts about what device to use for this purpose and decided for weight and convenience to buy a small size tablet.

Tablets are the way to go because they become the hub of all you want….reading, browsing net, watching video, listening to audio, emails…everything in one go.

I like the iPad air and have the kindle app on it…to read files that end in .mobi

There was some unease earlier about the tablet screen causing discomfort but the bult in controls allow you to calibrate the screen to the levels you want. I turn background to sepia and its very easy on the eyes.

Don't miss the Kindle at all.

Buy an Ipad mini or a Samsung S2 for the phone, I have 3000 books and 35,000 songs on it, in fact it has become a necessity in my life. You will no regret it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regarding the Samsung S2, I'm guessing that for reading e.books the best configuration would be to use in in the 'landscape' position and increase the font size a bit.

Is that correct?

Also, can you please suggest an approximate price in Bangkok or Thailand?

Thanks.

Well that's part of my confusion.

I recently, first time ever, bought an e.book from a large and very respectable book seller in Australia.

I assumed that by downloading Kindle* onto my notebook I would be able to download and read the book, but it didn't work. (*The Kindle site did state that I could download their App and use it on a notebook.)

The response from the book seller is that many e.books cannot be opened / read using the Kindle app. I'm not sure if this is correct.

They also advised me that I needed to download (free) either the dedicated OIS app or the dedicated Android App onto my notebook.

I've since had second thoughts about what device to use for this purpose and decided for weight and convenience to buy a small size tablet.

If you're a ratepayer in Australia, you should be able to download e-books from your local library for free on Calibre/Kindle.

Geez! Just go into any Power Buy, Power Mall, etc. Play with the tablet. If you like it, it can usually be had on Lazada for a little less. The Samsung S2 will auto-rotate. You can hold it in portrait or landscape mode and the display will automatically rotate. Once you open a book you can zoom or minimize the text by using two fingers on the screen (spread or pinch.) The Kindle App will allow you to invert colors in case you prefer reading white on black. For non-Kindle formats, refer to epubor.com.

Depends what your focus is. For serious reading the Kindle is vastly better than a tablet here. The battery life is weeks not hours and the glare mean tablets do not work for reading in sunlight. The drawbacks I find with the Kindle are that it doesn't handle PDFs at all well and you need something else for browsing, watching movies etc. With the Kindle only being US 100 I have that as ell as a tablet and then a laptop for gaming and serious work but most people can get by with 1 or 2 especially with a smartphone.

Buy an Ipad mini or a Samsung S2 for the phone, I have 3000 books and 35,000 songs on it, in fact it has become a necessity in my life. You will no regret it.

Hi yimlitnoy,

Again, thanks for your post. Just checked several shops, S2 no longer available.

Did see Galaxy J7, to a novice (me) looks quite good, several shops confirmed can download book reading apps, in fact they will do it for me, price 8,500Baht.

Or, 8,050Baht from Lazada.

Any comments appreciated? Thanks.

I have been using the Galaxy Tab 3 for the lat few years now for my e-book reader.

7" screen has the same sort of viewing as a paperback, for me anyway. But i think the most important thing is the actual reading app. I use Moon + Reader as even the free version is one of the most versatile out there. It will read all formats and you can configure all settings to 'as you want'. I have mine set for white text/black background and can read in most light conditions. Also cuts down on the omitted light if you read in bed before you go to sleep and it bothers the missus.

When not using the Tab as a reader, it downloads my emails, allows access to the internet and mobile networks. Also has the camera if ever needed.

Any 7"/8" android device will work as an ebook reader, but i would check out the Moon + Reader app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyersoft.moonreader&hl=en

I bought a Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ 9 inch Ebook reader a few weeks ago after looking into Kindle etc.

It has a 16Gb memory though you can also but a 32 Gb version. It has many advantages over the Kindle as I can read both epub and mobi books on it, news papers, magazines etc, play games and watch movies also. It has a micro sd slot for expansion if you wish to use it.

Mine is WiFi only with no sim card but I can log into any WiFi site to download most things including emails. I can go online with it.

I can read it in the dark or in bright sunlight, I am more than impressed with it.

It is true that the battery does not last as long as the Kindle but it does come with a charger which the Kindle didn't used to have. Charging it is as simple as plugging it in and walking away for a while.

It is also a little heavier than the Kindle but it does have a 9 inch screen instead of a 7 inch which also makes it easier to read.

It was available on this website at about 7,250 thb but I bought mine from the UK through Ebay for 2,000 baht less.

http://www.ebookreaderthailand.com/category.php?id=2

Here is a link to B & N website.

http://nook.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK-Support/379003184

The Kindle Fire HD tablets are very good deals for the money. I think the 10.1 size was recently released. I have a 7" to stick in my pocket when I go out but at home I prefer My Samsung Note Pro. I got it two years ago for $699 and have loved it ever since. I use it for hours every day, especially for reading white on black books every night.

Amazon U.S. has been having good sales on all of their Fire tablet and Kindle reading products this holiday season. Some ongoing now. I bought the 7 inch Kindle Fire tablet new from Amazon a couple weeks back for $35 U.S. during their Black Friday promotion, but that Fire tablet is, for me, mainly for watching Amazon video and music content. For mainly reading, they have other options like the Paperwhite line.

This is from Amazon.com's homepage today:

post-58284-0-24988000-1450097370_thumb.j

Did see Galaxy J7, to a novice (me) looks quite good, several shops confirmed can download book reading apps, in fact they will do it for me, price 8,500Baht.

Or, 8,050Baht from Lazada.

Any comments appreciated? Thanks.

The Samsung J7 is a nice, midrange LTE mobile phone, screen size 5.5 inches, I believe. Bought one for my wife's birthday recently and she's quite happy with it.

But, it's not a 7 inch tablet, nor would I say it's suited for reading any kind of book content. Look elsewhere if reading is your main objective.

Archived