UK expats for EU exit

A former head of the SIS has said in an interview with Prospect said that leaving the EU would not affect UK security but might even make it better as we could control the borders and get rid if the Euro Human Rights Act. He also said that we give far more intel to the EU than they give us, so another myth is blown.

There is also scaremongering about energy bills rising doing the rounds as well, in the end I expect that between now and polling all these refugees, asylum seekers, migrants are going to play their part and turn people to leave the EU, people have had enough of a Government who seem powerless to stop it ( Governments before as well ) and incapable of stopping the EU directives about how many we are to get, comes down to asking who is running the UK, Westminster or Brussels, your choice.

There will almost certainly be terrorist attacks in the UK, its impossible to stop them all, rightly or wrongly how will they be perceived by the public in the referendum, it will have an effect, my view at this moment is that the public will see these terrorists as an EU failure to control its borders and made it easier for these evil people to get into Europe and into the UK. It does not make me happy saying these things but it is the reality of the situation we find ourselves in, barbarians taking advantage of our open society that does not mean we should change our ways but our freedoms will be encroached upon for our own safety, sadly. Their values are not our values and they never will be.

Edited by nong38
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You risk a repeat of the GE fiasco if you're participating from this distance- HMG scuppered the expat vote in that election by ensuring none in the frozen pension zone ever left UK!

Replies to an FoI request and complaints immediately afterwards lead me to draw no other conclusion.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

There will almost certainly be terrorist attacks in the UK, its impossible to stop them all, rightly or wrongly how will they be perceived by the public in the referendum, it will have an effect,

Unity in strength , with our EU allies .

GB, has been castrated now known as gb .wub.png

The truth hurts .

ex brit , living in Thailand .coffee1.gif

PS, i enjoy reading this topic .clap2.gif

Edited by elliss

You risk a repeat of the GE fiasco if you're participating from this distance- HMG scuppered the expat vote in that election by ensuring none in the frozen pension zone ever left UK!

Replies to an FoI request and complaints immediately afterwards lead me to draw no other conclusion.

HTH

I share your misgivings, and can only hope that they remember to apply the correct overseas/airmail postage to the voting-papers, this time. whistling.gif

Just one more example of how the U.K. is a failed democracy, and couldn't run a piss-up in a brewing-establishment, let alone a Referendum ! facepalm.gif

There will almost certainly be terrorist attacks in the UK, its impossible to stop them all, rightly or wrongly how will they be perceived by the public in the referendum, it will have an effect,

The truth hurts .

But after the vote and we have picked over the results what are we going to dofacepalm.gif ???

The electoral officer for my area, has just informed me that postal votes will be sent to overseas electors between 19th and 23rd may. Will this be enough for those of us that reside in Thailand?

Touch and go I think. Bit of a lottery really as I've had letters from the UK delivered within 5 days and at other time 2-3weeks, or not at all.

At the risk of sounding like a gramophone record, we have to remember that in the GE there are only 3 weeks between close of nominations and the election. So, ballot papers cannot be sent out before that.

At least, from your information, there appears to be a 4-5 week 'window' in this case to receive and send back. I have a particular problem as I'm flying to the UK on 6 June. I'm going to ask them if I can have it delivered to a UK address. Suspect not.

The electoral officer for my area, has just informed me that postal votes will be sent to overseas electors between 19th and 23rd may. Will this be enough for those of us that reside in Thailand?

Touch and go I think. Bit of a lottery really as I've had letters from the UK delivered within 5 days and at other time 2-3weeks, or not at all.

At the risk of sounding like a gramophone record, we have to remember that in the GE there are only 3 weeks between close of nominations and the election. So, ballot papers cannot be sent out before that.

At least, from your information, there appears to be a 4-5 week 'window' in this case to receive and send back. I have a particular problem as I'm flying to the UK on 6 June. I'm going to ask them if I can have it delivered to a UK address. Suspect not.

I forgot to mention in my previous post. The electoral officer also informed me, that as a overseas voter, I must re-register to vote Every year. Should think that's going to catch out a number of people.

I forgot to mention in my previous post. The electoral officer also informed me, that as a overseas voter, I must re-register to vote Every year. Should think that's going to catch out a number of people.

A letter on this subject from my local electoral services office in UK said " ... Overseas elector’s declarations must be renewed annually and I will send a renewal form as a reminder approximately three months prior to your annual expiry date". My renewal date is 7th. April, the reminder was received beginning of February.

I've been registered as an overseas elector for a number of years so, if already on their books, I suppose the renewal reminder will be automatic for everyone - I can't imagine my UK office is unique in sending a reminder.

All done by e-mail, BTW, as is registering for a proxy or postal vote.

Correct. I did it last month after they sent me a reminder e mail.

A letter on this subject from my local electoral services office in UK said " ... Overseas elector’s declarations must be renewed annually and I will send a renewal form as a reminder approximately three months prior to your annual expiry date". My renewal date is 7th. April, the reminder was received beginning of February.

I've been registered as an overseas elector for a number of years so, if already on their books, I suppose the renewal reminder will be automatic for everyone - I can't imagine my UK office is unique in sending a reminder.

All done by e-mail, BTW, as is registering for a proxy or postal vote.

Yep. And my electoral officer was rather 'critical' about the fact we could not vote on line, but that's the way it was. He said it was about time they moved into the 21st century. (Off the record of course!)

Whilst current incumbents are happy to endorse the view that we are better in the EU security wise it is interesting that former incumbents take a different view. Sir Richard Dearlove former head of MI6 said the EU were of little consequence where security was concerned. Michael Hayden former CIA head said that the Eu was not a natural contributor to National Security. Both Sir Richard and Michael Hayden thought that the UKs security would be better served outside of the EU.

It seems that on the continent only the French have a large intel service all the rest are small compared to ours and the US. It also worth noting that we ( UK ) only share our highest security items with our "EYES" partners, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, you will notice that non of these are in the EU. I wonder if the reason we do not share, or are more choosy what we share, with our EU chums, maybe they are a bit leaky or maybe they dont know what or how to use it.

When it comes to security the EU offers us very little.

Whilst current incumbents are happy to endorse the view that we are better in the EU security wise it is interesting that former incumbents take a different view. Sir Richard Dearlove former head of MI6 said the EU were of little consequence where security was concerned. Michael Hayden former CIA head said that the Eu was not a natural contributor to National Security. Both Sir Richard and Michael Hayden thought that the UKs security would be better served outside of the EU.

It seems that on the continent only the French have a large intel service all the rest are small compared to ours and the US. It also worth noting that we ( UK ) only share our highest security items with our "EYES" partners, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, you will notice that non of these are in the EU. I wonder if the reason we do not share, or are more choosy what we share, with our EU chums, maybe they are a bit leaky or maybe they dont know what or how to use it.

When it comes to security the EU offers us very little.

"leaky" is a very polite way of paraphrasing the comments I have heard about EU "security" - it's non-existant in reality and countries have to liaise with neighbours as they see fit.

The truth hurts .

But after the vote and we have picked over the results what are we going to dofacepalm.gif ???

Good point Sir ,

Brtitexit means ,

We will , have to adjust, our spending due, to the collapse, of the GBP/gbp.

Engineered, of course by the EU Banks , and the mighty big USA Big Dollar.facepalm.gif

Use your vote wisely , Money is everything .Vote YES , please .

We are a European community .wub.png

Edited by elliss

Anyone who votes to stay in must have been brainwashed by the EU propaganda machine and don't see the obvious flaws in EU security, border integrity and policies on agriculture and fishing - to name only a few of the more obvious failures. The EU might need UK, but UK certainly does not need to be held back by the EU with it's farcically ponderous governmental systems and blatant waste of budgets.

Anyone who votes to stay in must have been brainwashed by the EU propaganda machine and don't see the obvious flaws in EU security, border integrity and policies on agriculture and fishing - to name only a few of the more obvious failures. The EU might need UK, but UK certainly does not need to be held back by the EU with it's farcically ponderous governmental systems and blatant waste of budgets.

Sorry if repost: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119328

Prevent Obama From Speaking In Westminster Regarding The In/Out Referendum..

Stop President Obama from speaking inside OUR Westminster Parliament concerning Britain staying inside the European Union..

More details

A Majority of British ppl want to Leave the Political Union of Europe .

Sign this petition

30,384 signatures

For anyone wishing to bring money to Thailand the time of choosing when to do it will be crtical with EU Referendum due on the 23rd of June. The £ has gone down this last few days as result of the problems in Brussels but I expect it to bounce back in the next week or two if there are no more terrorist events.

Let us assume that there wont be any more terrorist events before the vote on the 23rd. As the vote gets nearer the £ will become volatile, could go up but more likely it will go down, if you importing cash in here then I would do it before the middle of June, when the rate looks ok for you.

After the vote, if its an "IN" win then expect the £ to climb but if its an "OUT" it may go down a bit until the waters clear, whatever happens when you wake up on the 24th the world will appear the same it will take a couple of years before any unraveling and new deals start to take effect at the earliest.

For anyone wishing to bring money to Thailand the time of choosing when to do it will be crtical with EU Referendum due on the 23rd of June. The £ has gone down this last few days as result of the problems in Brussels but I expect it to bounce back in the next week or two if there are no more terrorist events.

Let us assume that there wont be any more terrorist events before the vote on the 23rd. As the vote gets nearer the £ will become volatile, could go up but more likely it will go down, if you importing cash in here then I would do it before the middle of June, when the rate looks ok for you.

After the vote, if its an "IN" win then expect the £ to climb but if its an "OUT" it may go down a bit until the waters clear, whatever happens when you wake up on the 24th the world will appear the same it will take a couple of years before any unraveling and new deals start to take effect at the earliest.

Nong, a pretty reasonable analysis. I'm working on that basis as well. When I wake up on 24th I will notice the days getting shorter, England exiting the European Championships and looking forward going to watch England v Sri Lanka at Edgbaston the next day. (Over in UK for 5 weeks).

The 'leave' campaign has a real battle on its hand when it comes to inertia of a chunk of the electorate.

I'm only guessing, but if we look back at the Scottish one, it almost appeared, near polling day, the 'yes' campaign would squeeze a victory. As we know it ended up 55/45 ish for 'no'.

Whilst that's now history this recent 'flag' referendum in New Zealand also showed that the electorate rejected change and wanted to retain the status quo -even though the NZ Prime Minister (and I assume the government) was campaigning for a change of flag.

It just suggests to me there is a 'rump' of perhaps 15-25% of electorates who simply will always vote for no change. A major hurdle to overcome!

I hope I'm wrong and the vote is on the merits of either side.

I now notice that government ministers have adopted a new phrase. They now refer to "those leavers" in a rather derogatory way. Subtle, but all part of the black art. facepalm.gif

IMO , GBP will continue to fall, before the EU , vote .

After the, IN or OUT , where will gbp go . facepalm.gif

Edited by elliss

IMO , GBP will continue to fall, before the EU , vote .

After the, IN or OUT , where will gbp go . facepalm.gif

elliss, you might have something useful to say but the layout and style of expression in your posts just makes me gloss over them and ignore their content.

Edited by MartinL

Anyone believe rumours I heard just this morning, that citizens (aot subjects) in all other EEC-member-countries, are also demanding to be able to vote for their own the referenda on leaving ? It would only be fair & democratic ! whistling.gif

"One Out, All Out !" would be a charming flashback to the good-old-days of union-ruled Britain ! laugh.png

Oh, and Season's Greetings, chaps & chapesses ! wai2.gif

Stop President Obama from speaking inside OUR Westminster Parliament concerning Britain staying inside the European Union..

More details

Sign this petition

30,384 signatures

Why prevent the exit-term POTUS addressing this in our back yard.

Is the Brexit 'majority' getting nervous about their over-hyped numbers?

More details

Sign this petition

30,384 signatures

I suspect it's nothing at all to do with the EU referendum and that it's more likely to be a reaction to the "Keep Trump Out of UK" petition, following his comments re. barring muslims from USA.

More details

Sign this petition

30,384 signatures

Brexit does not have over -hyped No's. At the moment probably a majority of the electorate,do intend to escape the EU. The important question, will they be able the sustain the numbers up to June,especially with all the scare stories that Will appear between now and then.

We are now witnessing the uproar regarding the lose of a great part of the steel industry,due in no small part to the restrictions imposed on the British Government by the EU. And so we see Stephen Kinnock MP Labour, who happens to be the son of that other proEU exMP Neil, trying to deflect the causes away from the EU onto the Government. What a load of hypocrites.

Anyone believe rumours I heard just this morning, that citizens (aot subjects) in all other EEC-member-countries, are also demanding to be able to vote for their own the referenda on leaving ? It would only be fair & democratic ! whistling.gif

"One Out, All Out !" would be a charming flashback to the good-old-days of union-ruled Britain ! laugh.png

Oh, and Season's Greetings, chaps & chapesses ! wai2.gif

Shades of "Red Robbo" at the BL plant at Longbridge.