Turkey alternatives for Xmas?

Crossy

I have decided to have one of the "tomahawk" steaks from one of the site sponsors, but cook it more like a roast then carve, nearest I can get to a roast rib of beef. The beef will be the easy part sorting the veggies and Yorkies will take a bit longer.

Ham was always the alternative in US - but we never had - always turkey.

As has been said many times - although some do not believe it - there is a very real shortage of turkeys this year due to bird flu culls. Only small birds and not enough - and Thailand is likely at about the end of the supply chain.

Many years ago when I was still married in the UK Christmas morning was a boiled ham similar to Tywais in #2 photo and eggs, boiled scrambled or fried, Dinner was roast turkey, roast pork, sausages, stuffing, roast and boiled potato, veg (I hated Brussels Sprouts) gravy etc. This was followed by Xmas pudding (hated that too) mince pies and custard. In the evening sandwiches of all sorts.

Boxing day was the same but cold. 27th and 28th cold or curried. The dog thought it was Xmas too as she was well fed and bones to chew on.

If you cannot get turkey then beef is a good alternative. Duck should be fairly easy to get but goose I think will be more difficult and is a much fattier dish than either duck or turkey. The best of luck with whatever you do. We don't celebrate Xmas up here in rural Khampaeng Phet so it will just be another day.

My ex wife will be going to our sons place to celebrate with him, our daughter in law and the two grand children. That I will miss, but not the food.

Quorn!

I hope it's improved over the years, tried it way back when it first appeared.

TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) sure didn't taste like chicken (or bacon, or anything else animal related).

EDIT Beef is off (much as I would like to) as Wifey and our guests don't eat it, the alternative seems to have been approved although Tywais image has had me slobbering into the keyboard :P

Thailand has had an import ban on US frozen turkeys since December of last year. The few turkeys you are seeing now are leftover from last Christmas.....at premium prices. We're having ham, pasta(Italian-American Christmas), and maybe roast beef. We will probably have 15-20 people so I have a lot of cooking to do. I have turned my wife's family into Americans when it comes to holiday feasts! Now, if I can only get my brother-in-law to stop putting ice cubes in my good Italian red wine!

Usually Big-C Extra on Pattaya Klang and Frienship have frozen ButterBall turkeys...Check again in a week.

Why not try some tiger prawns or king prawns ( cooking very easy ) with a nice chardonnay or sauvignon blanc, and a Caesar salad? Plenty of room then for the plum pudding.biggrin.png

Christmas and the dinner conundrum. In reality its just another day, eat what you want; seriously it is, just another day. Just because its May 4 or Dec 25, what does your pallet desire? I know bah hum bug! Oh, I forget, its soon to be Jan 1st so eat what you eat every Jan 1st as well or what your pallet desires.

I'd go with a leg of lamb but many Thai people will not eat it.

Roast duck is always a winner but does require a bit of skill to get the most out of it.

Maybe try quail? Brown them in a pan then 12-15 minutes in the oven. One each so no carving etc.

I have decided to have one of the "tomahawk" steaks from one of the site sponsors, but cook it more like a roast then carve, nearest I can get to a roast rib of beef. The beef will be the easy part sorting the veggies and Yorkies will take a bit longer.

If you order it early from Passion, they will supply a "rack", two + ribs not cut. It would be great for roasting although I'd cut the handles off as they take too much room it the oven.

My Biggest Culinary Challenge - Christmas Dinner In BKK Last Year !

I had 6 individuals coming for dinner. One hot plate. One rice cooker. So, I asked each to bring an empty rice cooker.

+ Did great cured ham from Villa Market. Slow cook in rice cooker.

+ Did mash potatoes on hot plate, put in a rice cooker. Later added some milk and butter and garlic.

+ Green Bean Casserole in rice cooker. Green beans, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, cheese, spices. Slow Cook.

+ Quartered some whole potato and sweet potato. Slow Cook. Add brown sugar and spice. Slow Cook.

+ Made Stove Top Dressing on hot plate. Added sausage. Thai Spices. Slow cook in rice cooker.

+ Chicken and Pasta dish in rice cooker. Slow cook.

+ Did gravy in saucepan on hot plate. Simmer on hot plate.

Prepared at 7am.

Ate about 5pmish.

Excellent. Served my Thai friends a "traditional" Christmas Dinner.

If you order it early from Passion, they will supply a "rack", two + ribs not cut. It would be great for roasting although I'd cut the handles off as they take too much room it the oven.

Thanks for the advice, as theres only 2 of us for Xmas dinner I will stick with the tomahawk but will remember your advice for future.

Thailand has had an import ban on US frozen turkeys since December of last year. The few turkeys you are seeing now are leftover from last Christmas.....at premium prices. We're having ham, pasta(Italian-American Christmas), and maybe roast beef. We will probably have 15-20 people so I have a lot of cooking to do. I have turned my wife's family into Americans when it comes to holiday feasts! Now, if I can only get my brother-in-law to stop putting ice cubes in my good Italian red wine!

I've heard last year's turkeys are changing hands at around 1000bt per kilo..... Think I'll be having chicken.

I've heard last year's turkeys are changing hands at around 1000bt per kilo..... Think I'll be having chicken.

Me too. Getting a turkey is not a problem, catching it and killing it, completely different matter. My brother in law has about 20 odd running around. A few months back we eat one that one of the dogs had injured and it was as tough as old boots.

I was scrambling for Turkeys earlier in November and called many different Makros etc.

Yesterday we got a phone call from Makro Surin saying they have 10 Turkeys available....if I still want any. 300 Baht / kg

You may be able to have the Turkeys transferred from one Makro to another at no additional charge. I had it done once from Makro Sisaket to Makro Ubon

Edit: as an alternative to Turkey for Christmas, it kind of depends on your nationality :). We are doing Lamb Shank. Were thinking of goose, but probably to hard to find.

Edited by NiwPix