POTY Rundown -VOTE CLOSED!

canuckamuck

Poster of the Year prelimnary rundown.  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume he's a mainstay of the photo forum? Internet amateur photographer etiquette tends to lead to automatic praise of any image in my experience.

You get plenty of Likes if you post in any special interest thread where your fellow posters share similar interests.

It helps if it's a thread that other people read, though

For the Grand Final, I hope the supporters of each candidate should be required to post a link to an example post to show why they think their candidate should be Poster Of The Year.

But surely this is about what other people think of our posts?

For the Grand Final, I hope the supporters of each candidate should be required to post a link to an example post to show why they think their candidate should be Poster Of The Year. And also photos in swimwear and an evening gown, of course. And they should be required to stop singing, as well.

And also comply with two other unwritten rules, that will be randomly and arbitrarily applied by JT, as tournament referee.

I'm chortling in glee and anticipation, and rubbing my hands to boot, so I am

SC

Hi there,

I do plan on making an effort to contact all of the 20 finalists and ask them, if they would like, to participate in a campaign however they would like. I was thinking more on the line of a statement of what their participation on the forum is all about. For example, last year, I emphasized the advice about retirement matters on the visa forum while my opposition tried to label me as only about restaurants. It's a good idea to SUGGEST they provide some post samples, but requirement, certainly not.

Sometimes if things heat up battling candidates might do some "opposition research" and try to smear rivals with examples of low value posts. That should be encouraged as potential BIG FUN!

For the Grand Final, I hope the supporters of each candidate should be required to post a link to an example post to show why they think their candidate should be Poster Of The Year.

It's about whatever the VOTERS want it to be about.

You can't control the motivations of voters.

Campaigning has been part of this in the past, and most likely, that grand tradition will carry on.

Campaigning has been part of this in the past, and most likely, that grand tradition will carry on.

Actually, I've just realised I misread SC's post. I thought he was suggesting that we ourselves should show examples of our own posts - which sounds a little too much like blowing our own trumpets for my tastes.

I now realise he means those who are supporting a candidate - presumably those who nominated them would be the most logical choice.

Sorry, Cowboy.

Cold, totally BORING reductionist suggestions for not having a voting contest at all and just use posts/likes suggestions crop up every year.

This isn't that. This is a voting contest. With an interesting human factor. Lots of unpredictability. Lots of subjective impressions.

People have lots of posts, lots of likes for many reasons and those reasons do not necessarily reflect posting merit or even objectively speaking, popularity across a large group of people.

Also obviously a "newbie" with a small number of posts but a large number of likes (could be old friends say, Welcome Back!) would probably win such a meaningless exercise every year. Garbage in. Garbage out. Statistics are lies.

So put that BORING stuff to bed here.

This is about VOTING.

If some anemic dreary bean counter wants to do the math, post the results if you like, but whatever the results, they would have NOTHING to do with the "traditional" Thaivisa Poster of the Year VOTING contest.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh it will... Me and my detective squad are available to dig the dirt on any candidate....very reasonable prices!

Actually, I've just realised I misread SC's post. I thought he was suggesting that we ourselves should show examples of our own posts - which sounds a little too much like blowing our own trumpets for my tastes.

I now realise he means those who are supporting a candidate - presumably those who nominated them would be the most logical choice.

Sorry, Cowboy.

I don't mind people blowing their own trumpet, so long as there's nobody smoking near by. Spontaneous combustion can be a terrible thing.

Let's make one thing perfectly clear.

This contest will be run transparently, but there are absolutely no restrictions about CAMPAIGNING.

Candidates (AND SUPPORTERS) are free to campaign however they like.

On other forums.

By PM.

They are free to form COALITIONS for tactical purposes.

They are free to OPENLY persuade voters to CHANGE THEIR VOTES, up until the deadlines.

Things like why waste your vote on Bumlooker26, he's gonna lose anyway!

Vote buying? Beer parties? Orgies?

Like anyone could stop that even if we wanted to.

Blackmail? No comment

The FUN awaits.

Edited by Jingthing

The stats are interesting. Nearly eight and a half thousand views. Of the 40 nominees only a fistful have even turned up.

My prediction: one winner, a couple of runner-ups, and a few dozen who will be relieved when it is all over.

The stats are interesting. Nearly eight and a half thousand views. Of the 40 nominees only a fistful have even turned up.

My prediction: one winner, a couple of runner-ups, and a few dozen who will be relieved when it is all over.

Most are more worried about me singing somewhere here..........laugh.png

Go for it Trans. The room is quite empty, don't mind the echo.

I presume he's a mainstay of the photo forum? Internet amateur photographer etiquette tends to lead to automatic praise of any image in my experience.

You get plenty of Likes if you post in any special interest thread where your fellow posters share similar interests.

I normally dont like to ring my own bell but check out my humor thread which is presently sitting on 565,495 views.

This contest will be run transparently, but there are absolutely no restrictions about CAMPAIGNING.

On other forums.

By PM.

They are free to OPENLY persuade voters to CHANGE THEIR VOTES, up until the deadlines.

Blackmail? No comment

The FUN awaits.

If I'd known Bumlooker26 was standing I wouldn't have bothered competing.

I normally dont like to ring my own bell but check out my humor thread which is presently sitting on 565,495 views.

If you'd have posted a link, it would have had 565,496 views

Inflammatory remark removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

ANY of the contestants break these rules and you will be removed from the Poll immediately.

Yeah, well too bad then that you prematurely exited the actual VOTING contest in a huff .. coulda been a contender!

Edited by Jingthing

On other forums.

By PM.

Blackmail? No comment

The FUN awaits.

Bumlooker26 has feelings too! crying.gif

You've really gone out a limb here "predicting" that in the end of the GRAND FINALE there will only be ONE winner.

Impressive!

Anyway, let's face it.

The whole shebang is NancyL's to lose.

She's got the gravitas, she's got the golden girls of steel organization (some call it the Chiang Mai Mafia) ... who can stop her?

Edited by Jingthing

You've really gone out a limb here "predicting" that in the end of the GRAND FINALE there will only be ONE winner.

Impressive!

Anyway, let's face it.

The whole shebang is NancyL's to lose.

She's got the gravitas, she's got the golden girls of steel organization (some call it the Chiang Mai Mafia) ... who can stop her?

Bumlooker26.

Prove it.

Don't need to - I'll let the number of likes speak for itself.

Which incidentally would seem to be a far easier and more reflective way of deciding the POTY - simply look at the number of likes\popular posts achieved and registered against member names over the year and announce it....

In other words just give the award to Ron19 as he has the most LIKES I believe. Who cares if he only posts pictures, likes are likes, right?

worse, he has his own thread chocker with hackneyed inter net memes he deems amusing.

Oh it will... Me and my detective squad are available to dig the dirt on any candidate....very reasonable prices!

Gawd, thebladder.............sad.png

thankfully he has departed.

POTY RUNOFF 2015 LEADER BOARD!

There is only ONE consequential change since the last time.

Lannebirth has now moved up into into a three way TIE ZONE!

Three ways are messy.

Please stop it!

Top 20 (plus including tie zoners) in bold.

NancyL 47 votes
Transam 35 votes
Uptheos 29 votes
Villagefarang 27 votes
MaejoMTB 27 votes
UlyssesG 24 votes
Patsycat 20 votes
Street Cowboy 20 votes
Crazy chef 17 votes
Soibiker 17 votes
Naam 16 votes
Fletchsmile 16 votes
PGraham 13 votes
Cypresshill 12 votes
Canuckamuck 11 votes
Meatboy 11 votes
Kittenkong 11
Jlcrab 10 votes
Cornishcarlos 9 votes TIE ZONE!
Paz 9 votes TIE ZONE!
Lannarebirth 9 votes TIE ZONE!
Now under the cut off ... but still plenty of time for some comebacks!
JAFO 8 votes
Puukao 8 votes
Publicus 8 votes
H90 8 votes
Morch 8 votes
Robertthebruce 7 votes
AlexRRR 7 votes
Canarysun 7 votes
Berkshire 6 votes
Pinkpanther69 6 votes
1Baddat 6 votes
Dennis123 5 votes
Balo 5 votes
Opalred 4 votes
Notmyself 4 votes
Edited by Jingthing

On other forums.

By PM.

Blackmail? No comment

The FUN awaits.

Bumlooker26 has feelings too! crying.gif

I thought you said feelers then...I almost ran from the thread.

Deadline ALERT.

beatdeadhorse.gif1zgarz5.gifpost-4641-1156694083.gif

Voting for this POTY RUNOFF phase which will determine the TOP 20 members going into SEMIFINALS, is:

TONIGHT, Thursday 17 December, at Midnight

That means y'all have got less than SIX HOURS to vote.

Edited by Jingthing